May 18th Mystery Portal

by pandareno1999

Original Post

May 18th Mystery Portal

[ Edited ]

I forget what they called it.  What do you think?  I played two rounds earlier, and it's pretty ridiculous - par for the course!  My impression is that even slightly coordinated offense wins it all the way to the end.

I kept thinking "man, I've got to switch to imp to handle these dudes," and then I'd remember that I couldn't.

Message 1 of 15 (821 Views)

Re: May 18th Mystery Portal

Why I didn't choose to play computer scientist in the first place is beyond me.  It's pretty much the only character the zombies need, on defense.

Message 2 of 15 (809 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Chemist works really well as well, both on offense and defense, at least it did for me. 

Message 3 of 15 (804 Views)

Basically any shotgun scientist.  But I'm best at computer, though not good enough to make it to crunch mode often in multiplayer.  As these things go, this is a pretty fun mode for a few games.  I've got my 50 and might play again to bank for next time.  I've used it for leveling up party corn, and played default rose effectively for a while.  Scientists working together are almost unstoppable.  I haven't tried citron, though I've certainly seem him used to advantage by people who know how to play him.

There are lots of people playing characters they have no idea how to play, which is fun to watch.  And, for me a first in the mystery portal during regular hours, I was just in a dying lobby with only one opponent, who fought valiantly for his couple of rainbow stars.  I salute you, solo soldier man!

Message 4 of 15 (798 Views)

★★ Guide
I typically play all star or citron in multiplayer but in this game mode I found myself switching between all star and scientist on the zombie side(I still find the impunt/tackle and exploding tackle dummy very useful). I only played citron once before switching exclusively to the corn. That bigger better butter in the point is just awesome.

Only need to complete one more game to have my fifty stars banked for the next portal.
Message 5 of 15 (782 Views)

★★★★ Guide

New Guard Plants vs Old Guard Zombies; hmmm... It does make things very weird in places.

Message 6 of 15 (777 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I think Rose needs some work and some close range variants.  Her homing thistles hurt her more than help, especially with the super speed.  In fact I think the Citron and Corn could use close range variants as well.

Message 7 of 15 (764 Views)

Hero (Retired)

For the Get-Off-My-Lawn-A-Thon I've noticed that on Zombies you need anyone with a shotgun style damage spread or some form of splash damage and for best results on Plants you want, once gain, someone with splash damage or Rose for the Homing; trying to nail someone with a precision weapon is laughably impossible with the Speed boost craziness in effect.

While I was figuring out the best character choice it was frustrating but once you properly understand what character variants work and which ones don't it definitely becomes more fun and you start to understand why you see so many of a particular class or variant on the battlefield.

Once you adapt to the speed a skilled Scientist or Rose player can be a real monster in this particular game mode and I've had some of my best games yet as both of those character classes; 76 vanquishes with a 17 streak with the Chemist and 50 vanquishes and a 30 streak with Rose.

Message 8 of 15 (756 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I only like it because the attackers always manage to push to the end to get the maximum amount of stars and the rounds don't take that long. Why people don't always play TT like this by being super aggressive i'll never know.

Message 9 of 15 (743 Views)

Hero (Retired)

The Speed Boost craziness encourages people to be super aggressive because the extra speed allows you to cover more ground in less time and it enables you to flank and dodge so much easier so whereas in a normal game of Turf Takeover the Defenders can bottle you up or keep you at a distance for a long period the Speed Boost weakens those defensive tactics and makes it more difficult to engage from a distance, repel rushes at the capture point or to snipe from a camping position.

Message 10 of 15 (723 Views)