Re: Mammoth counter?

by BattaIia

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mammoth counter?

★★★★ Novice

How to counter the mammoth and avatar at player lvl 33? Ive been trying w the mrls but it hasn’t really worked yet. I usually get the first nuke, barely lose the second then these huge units come out and It seems like it’s over

Message 1 of 5 (537 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

At player level 33, you have the following options:

As GDI - Orca

As Nod - Banshee, Laser Drones

Apart from that, anything that is strong against vehicles will damage the Mammoth and the Avatar considerably, but it will also die rather quickly in a direct 1 versus 1 fight. So you would need to attack with several units at once. This will give you the advantage that your troops all fire at the same target, whereas your opponent's Mammoth or Avatar can only attack one unit at a time.

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (513 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Guide

Air

Message 2 of 5 (524 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

At player level 33, you have the following options:

As GDI - Orca

As Nod - Banshee, Laser Drones

Apart from that, anything that is strong against vehicles will damage the Mammoth and the Avatar considerably, but it will also die rather quickly in a direct 1 versus 1 fight. So you would need to attack with several units at once. This will give you the advantage that your troops all fire at the same target, whereas your opponent's Mammoth or Avatar can only attack one unit at a time.

Message 3 of 5 (514 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
mammoth and avatar are win conditions in and of themselves. To get one, you have to gain a 330ish tib advantage either from double harvesting in peace, or killing the other guys harvester repeatedly.

While you CAN kill mammoths and avatars with air, it's quite difficult, and usually by the time you have killed one, another tech response or another mammoth/avatar strolls by.

Personally, if they get one out and stomp my standing army I try to keep the nuke charging, either by baiting them into charging it, or sneaking something non-threatening like a wardog/cyberwheel onto a pad. Feed them tib with your harv and make them feel in control. Last thing you want is them to try to burn your base down. Then when the nuke gets close, spam that air army out, grab all 3 pads and send the nuke over their mammoth/avatar. But don't be surprised when even this doesn't work.

Hate saying it, but not letting them get one out is your best bet. Keep the nuke charging, and pressure on their harvs so they can't skip buildings and counters to rush straight to tech.
Message 4 of 5 (461 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I think the avatar is much better than mammoth because of its speed. It doesn't make much sense a heavy mech as tall as your base walks as fast as a scorpion. So generally you have less time to kill an avatar when it smashes your harv and base. Since your air units can't move shot and does the awkward move-stop-shot-move-stop-shot loop that greatly reduces efficiency. I think the avatar should be nerfed by speed. It should be SLOW, not AVERAGE, yet faster than mammoth which is SLOWEST.

Message 5 of 5 (452 Views)