Re: Madden Ultimate Team

by Neo_Novalis

Original Post

Madden Ultimate Team

★★ Novice

So EA I had a question that doesn’t sit right with me and a lot of other fellow madden 21 players, in this screen shot it states that it is against the rules to promote coin selling and buying. So why aren’t all of the Youtubers who are promoting coin buying and selling getting punished? Its not fair that a young gullible kid can watch these content creators and listen to them and use their “code” to buy and sell coins then get banned and sit there and wonder why he’s getting punished and not the people who told him it was okay to do so. I mean anyone with a conscience knows that this is wrong and it makes me sick that all of these YouTubers are doing this without warning or telling the public about the risks that comes with doing so. These kids are losing time, effort and money and no one is talking about it besides on Reddit and Muthead from previous years. So if someone can help explain to me how this double standard works it would honestly help me sleep at night. 

Message 1 of 9 (564 Views)

★★ Guide
@beaustin18 Because those same YouTuber's spend thousands on packs. EA doesn't care about what is right---just what makes them money---which is why a bunch of us are falsely banned, meanwhile the YouTuber's have nothing happen to them.
Message 2 of 9 (501 Views)

@rjwil73 I guess the issue is more complex than blaming EA for accepting these coin sellers / YouTubers because they "spend thousands on packs". if these coin sellers would spend thousands on packs, how are they able to sell coins? my guess (and everything below is just my guess as a player!) is that they create tons of accounts and either play H2H games themselves (because you can make tons of coins playing H2H Seasons if you are good enough) or use some kind of algorithms (e.g. just starting games automatically and doing one and the same play all the time as described here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/COIN-FARMING-BOTS/m-p/10090263#M10811). 

I'd guess there are a lot of "players" in the world who are good enough 1) at programming and 2) at hide their position on the internet. if such a "player" is unscrupulous enough to use his/her skills to cheat others (incl. EA), then this is exactly what happens: they advertise a seemingly cheap offer, sell there coins they made with one of their accounts as soon as the account has cumulated enough coins while accepting that this account is banned right after a successful sale. since there exist ways to disguise your exact location (e.g. by using dynamic IP-adresses), I'd guess it is very difficult to identify these "cheaters'" accounts ex-ante, i.e. before they sell their coins. and I also guess, that if you are good enough to create such algorithms, you are most likely also able to run a lot of them in parallel allowing you to make a lot of coins just by "playing" (or more exactly by letting your algorithms play for you) .... and most likely, these cheaters also use other algorithms to sell their items in the auction house collecting even more coins (why else are players reporting that they got banned using the companion app? because there are some "players" exploiting APIs to run their in-game auctions automated. and since EA tries to deal with these algorithms, collateral damage is caused resulting in bans of innocent players who have been wrongly identified by EA's automatic search for cheaters ...)

so, what is the best strategy to deal with these "cheaters"? what would you do to stop them, if you were working for EA? it is really a tricky question, in particular if considering that these "cheaters" are most likely very creative to find new approaches to cheat if their previous approach was prevented by reactive EA measures (I'd guess the problem is very similar to the issue of doping in sports in general: as soon as a test method has been developed to detect prohibited doping, new methods and substances are found...). my guess is, that EA's approach to handle the issue of coin sellers is quite similar to how WADA (the World Anti-Doping Agency) also proceeds: identify those actors who have cheated and lock them out.

but how to identify them? the WADA identifies cheaters 1) by applying tests whether an athlete has used a prohibited substance or procedure (this is quite similar to algorithms used by EA to identify suspicious transactions in MUT) or 2) by identifying athletes who had close contacts to doping networks (which is most likely also an approach by EA: identify players who bought or sold items from or to these coin selling accounts). I'd therefore guess, EA is constantly banning the accounts of coin sellers (and players who bought or sold items from or to these accounts). but since these coin sellers most likely create new accounts (as described above) it is probably only symptom control: banning one account while know the same cheater creates a new account.... since there are so many auctions in MUT (the player base is huge!), the collateral damage of banning innocent players is most likely unavoidable. if you as a player were unlucky and sold or bought one or more items to a banned account, you might got banned without knowing why.

I've read that there are a lot of bans occuring in MUT and EA's department responsible for manually checking disputed bans is most likely drowning in work by the sheer volume of complains about (un)justified bans. that's why it takes so long to get unbanned if your ban was unjustified...

before I summarise my thoughts: all I've wrote here is just my guess how I would explain why coin selling is such a big issue in MUT while EA still has not been able to solve it (and as I tried to explain: although WADA invests a lot of money and ressources and developed and uses a broad range of testing procedures as well as criminal investigations is not able to rule out doping in sports either). but now summarising:

1. from my perspective, coin selling is very difficult to prevent ex-ante.
  2. "good/creative" coin sellers are most likely able to use multiple accounts to accumulate coins while they can also disguise their location on the Internet
  3. EA's response is therefore only reactive ("symtoms control") and is not able to really ban cheaters (although they continously ban their accounts).
  4. the collateral damage are tons of (innocently) banned players who either did not know that coin selling/buying is not allowed or have been wrongly identified (and banned) by EA's algorithms. 

one more question I think is relevant here: why are there so many youtube videos (etc.) promoting coin selling although it is not allowed? my guess to answer this question: EA does not own Youtube and therefore cannot directly control what is uploaded there. I'm convinced there are a lot of other platforms where coin sellers promote their offers. from my perspective, the only solution for this issue might be a contractual agreement between EA and Youtube to ban all videos promoting coin selling in MUT. I think it should be feasible if EA was willing to pay for it. but what would happen next? the coin sellers will place their offers on other platforms. of course, EA could very likely also find contracts with these platforms to remove these offers. the more of these platforms are excluded, the greater the likelihood that innocent players will not become aware of these offers. if the range of "solved" platforms is broad enough, the "coin selling" problem would not be nearly as big as it is right now. comparing to the activities of WADA, the ban on any advertising of prohibited substances and procedures most likely reduces the amount of "cheaters" to those who are actively searching for prohibited measures. if I were responsible for fighting these scams, I would focus on depriving the scammers of the basis on which they can advertise their offers. but unfortunately, I'm just a player ...

as a sidenote: I wrote my thoughts here to provide an explanation why coin selling is such a big issue while a lot of players complain that they have been wrongfully banned. it was not a priority for me to defend EA. anyways, if my attempt to offer an explanation helps one or the other unjustly banned player to feel at least a little less angry about this injustice, then it's perfectly fine with me. but frankly, I do not like the basic business model MUT is based on. I don't like that pure luck makes such a big difference in the contents of purchased packs. I do not like it that it is so obvious how EA tries to find new ways to motivate players to buy even more packs (the worst example are LTD items...) while on the one hand, the content of so many packs is just "garbage" to be sold for training, and on the other hand so many items you can earn by playing (incl collectibles) are not tradeable with other players. that there are so many NAT items completely contradicts how I envision a game that is about building and improving a team by playing, collecting, trading and buying. although I really like the basic idea of MUT (collecting and improving my lineup and playing a football game), I'm not willing to invest cash for packs (not at all!) and also only bought the very basic version of Madden 21 (because I wanted to start from the very beginning and every additional packs or player items I would have got investing more cash would have reduced the amount of available improvements of my lineup)...

____________________________________________________________________________________
        Positive Play - Feel the emotions, but be aware what they are telling you!
Joy: you like it! Anger: you don't like it! Frustration: you don't like it but cannot do
     anything against it! Aggression: you don't like it and want to break something.
____________________________________________________________________________________
                   Tell everybody (@joy), give constructive feedback (@anger),
                    ask for help (frustration), and have a break (@aggression)!
                     I try to help out other players, but I'm not an EA employee

Message 3 of 9 (467 Views)

★★ Guide
@Neo_Novalis While I appreciate your opinion, comparing EA to WADA just doesn't fit. If WADA administered tests that they knew were creating false positives, they would stop administering those tests and find another solution. Because someone would hold them accountable.

Additionally, WADA tells the athletes' specifically what they are being accused of, so that person can at least muster a defense of some sort. EA just sends out blanket cheater emails, or banned for coin distribution, forcing those banned to try and guess what they did.

Also, WADA uses tests that are scientifically proven to be effective. EA either created the TOS software or uses a third party, which banned Drini. Plus in terms of technical achievement and it's reliability, I think EA has lost the benefit of the doubt on most fronts. Heck, they can't even get the right cards into packs half the time.

As far a YouTuber's go, no they can't ban them from being on YouTube, they banned one from FIFA for making YouTube videos due to his content. The easily could shut out Guttfoxx or Zirksee from playing the game but they don't want the backlash and loss of revenue that it would cause, so they continue to let them break the TOS. It is less drama and more profitable. Plus these channels also highlight pulling packs, giving EA free publicity.

As far a how to fix the issue. How can I give you an answer and I haven't any specifics of why I have been banned twice. There are commonalities from my first ban. I believe I bought the C. Woodson PU, so the software might not recognize an 80 card power up isn't your typical 80 card and goes for more.

I was playing a lot of HR---just like last time---which might make the system think I was intentionally quitting some matches to be matched up with lesser opponents. The true is that the last HR I played required, I believe, 35 wins, to get the card. So if I fell behind early, I just conceded because who has time to play a complete second half when you have to win 35 games? So one YouTuber claimed he was banned for cheating because he would quit out of a bunch of games to get lesser opponents.

Or it is the bot either doesn't like my series X since it never was listed as trusted.

Lastly, it could be flagging me because I was using the Windows 10 Series X streaming test app, because Microsoft only has a beta for this, it could be thinking that is a 3rd party software.

Since I have zero specifics of what triggered this ban, I cannot offer a solution to my situation.
Message 4 of 9 (452 Views)

@rjwil73 I think your criticisms of my WADA vs. EA comparison are very justified. I got the same impression that EA's algorithms to identify cheaters might need (some) fine-tuning (to say it politely; and of course these algorithms are most likely not as scientific as WADA tests).

I fully agree that it is unacceptable that players are banned in case of doubt (and the players have to proof they are innocent). on the other hand, we do not know how many players are not banned, even though there are indications that they are cheating, but these indications are not seen as sufficient for a ban.

>>>Heck, they can't even get the right cards into packs half the time.<<< agree! I fully share your assessment. but honestly, I think EA is doing itself a horrendous disservice with a QA that obviously does not work. after these problems keep recurring every single week, EA's image suffers enormously over time. in particular, since MUT's business model is actually based on exactly that.

frankly, after seeing all the reports of frustrated players, I'm wondering why there are still so many players out there spending tons of cash for packs....

but maybe that's the main reason why there is so little information available in-game. as soon as players start to find the forum websites and read the bug reports, they become aware of all the issues they do not even recognize because relevant information is so often confusingly communicated to the players. [this para full of sarcasm reflects a lot of my frustration with the game. but I do not want to blame any individuals here (not at all!). from my perspective, it is an organizational issue to be solved while the community managers, i.e. the guys responsible to inform the players, are actually let down because they often do not get enough information themselves ...]

Joy: you like it! Anger: you don't like it! Frustration: you don't like it but cannot do

Message 5 of 9 (446 Views)

★★ Guide
@Neo_Novalis Oh I agree it isn't the community managers fault. They can only relay what information they are allowed to.

As far as why people are buying packs still, I couldn't tell you. I went NMS this year because I was disappointed with M20 (I thiink I spent around $40 last year), and although I don't dislike M21's gameplay as much as I did the year before, the bugs and issues that have plagued this release made me realize that if I bought packs I was rewarding mediocrity.
Message 6 of 9 (435 Views)

@rjwil73 >>>the bugs and issues that have plagued this release made me realize that if I bought packs I was rewarding mediocrity.<<< same with me. if I thought that the money I spend would help improving the game, I would definitely purchase additional content. even if it was just to give the dev team more resources to continue improving the game while I don't actually get any additional benefit from the extra content directly. but unfortunately, every additional or new content is so affected by the fact that you can literally smell that it's all about taking even more money out of the players' pockets.... Frown

Message 7 of 9 (430 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@Neo_NovalisOh, believe me. It is about taking more and more. Pack price increases, the first down gameplay that either you had to do the set (which I was trying to do prior to the second ban) or pay a mere $1.50 to unlock), things like that just turn me off.

The really sad thing is that I was going to skip this year's game, but they announced the free "upgrade" for the series X. Since I have somehow managed to get the new Xbox day one releases since the 360 came out, I figured I might as well buy Madden 21. For the series X, I got lucky, because I had a preorder in my cart before they sold out, Microsoft sent me an email later after I couldn't complete my purchase asking me if I still wanted it. Of course.

Still trying to get a PS5. I refuse to pay scalper prices.

Of course I could probably easily get one if I wasn't using all my bots to rob EA of their virtual currency, right?

Message 8 of 9 (385 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@Neo_NovalisOK. I'm going to try and not post so much about my ban after this last one. I honestly don't want to troll this company, but calling me a cheater or accusing me falsely gaining coins is nonsense. Anyway, concerning our conversation.

First off, Mr.Golden Mut has a YouTube video released around Jan. 19th of this year discussing how in Madden 15, EA went after and banned the content creators, including him, to hopefully stop coin promoting on YouTube. Then EA apparently stopped? Why? My guess, because he talks about it in his video, is he spent around 15 to 20 thousand on his team that year. I was like...how? Oh, then he explained that content creators can use their pack purchases as tax right offs. It is a business expense for them. So EA isn't going to touch them. They easily could, but why would EA destroy that revenue stream and face public backlash?

Next up, concerning my ban. I surmised that since both times I was playing a lot of House Rules--which meant I was quitting a lot of games because I wasn't going to win, and even if I could, it would take too much time given that the rewards level of HR needs so many wins. It is easier if you quit out and take the L.

So today, I was bored and wanted to see what I could do in H2H on my whopping level 13, post first ban team. A whole 75 overall. Well, I'm 0-8 or something, but I have only quit when losing. I'm trying to win games but obviously since my squad hasn't been matched up against anyone with a sub 90 team yet, it isn't going to happen. I'm waiting for those quits to cause a ban for me being a bot.

What is interesting though. When you quit now, you receive zero coins, but it say a loss gives 200, unlike HR, where you got 20. Did EA finally learn to wise up and not reward losing since most bots on their site can't win? Hmm.

Message 9 of 9 (360 Views)