Re: June 7 War Games Unit Pool

by emandab98

Original Post

June 7 War Games Unit Pool

Community Manager (retired)

Last week, we asked you which unit pool we should use in the next War Games event. The votes are in, and the majority of you voted for GDI 3! The following Commanders and units will be available for the event starting Friday, June 7 at 9 am PT:

• Lt. Strongarm
  • Dr. Liang
  • Solomon
  • Col. Jackson
  • Disruptor
  • APC
  • Juggernaut
  • Pitbull
  • Kodiak
  • Mammoth Tank
  • Missile Squad
  • Sandstorm
  • Orca
  • Orca Bomber
  • Titan
  • Wolverine
  • Zone Trooper
  • Hammerhead

Which units will lead your army to victory?

Message 1 of 15 (769 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I predict that the pitbull is gonna be spammed nonstop.

And I see another problem: you have nothing to defeat missile squads in the early game. APC is the cheapest counter, but it costs you 120 (80 for APC and 40 for the building) to get one out. I sense early missile squad spam.

Message 2 of 15 (752 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Yup. If people can spam units at the beginning, they will.

Message 3 of 15 (744 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Gatling turret I guess?

Message 4 of 15 (733 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

That's not going to work in the long run! You might be able to kill 1 or 2 missile squads before a swarm overwhelms your harvester. I'm going to stop playing in tournaments; too unpredictable and I might lose when I don't want to.

For the war games, I would suggest adding the shock-wave trooper to the list, could be a useful counter to missile spam.

Message 5 of 15 (717 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@EA_dance210 wrote:

Last week, we asked you which unit pool we should use in the next War Games event. The votes are in, and the majority of you voted for GDI 3! The following Commanders and units will be available for the event starting Friday, June 7 at 9 am PT:

• Lt. Strongarm
  • Dr. Liang
  • Solomon
  • Col. Jackson
  • Disruptor
  • APC
  • Juggernaut
  • Pitbull
  • Kodiak
  • Mammoth Tank
  • Missile Squad
  • Sandstorm
  • Orca
  • Orca Bomber
  • Titan
  • Wolverine
  • Zone Trooper
  • Hammerhead

@EA_dance210:

Honestly, that the majority of people chose this setup shows that they do not understand the game very well. Many people seem to think that using big tech units is the key to victory, but they are mistaken, just like last time. In the last War Games, tech units did not get much play against an opponent who just spammed the cheapest existing units (Banshee, Marauder) at the beginning of the battle. I am quite sure it will be similar this time.

I really think it is unfortunate that 80% of all players are tech unit players. It shouldn't be like that. Ideally, there should be 50% tech and 50% non-tech players. That would be a good balance.
Unfortunately, many of the maps are designed to make it very easy to bring out double harvesters and to defend them with little effort (the usual missile/laser squad at the beginning). I think it is time to bring out some maps that have less or perhaps even no Tiberium, if not as regular maps, then at least for events.

Message 6 of 15 (703 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@xMaksuss wrote:

I predict that the pitbull is gonna be spammed nonstop.

Hm, there is a good and cheap and early counter to pitbulls though: The Missile Squad. So I am not entirely sure if pitbulls will be that dominant this time around.

Message 7 of 15 (677 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Mister_Crac wrote:

@EA_dance210 wrote:

• Lt. Strongarm
  • Dr. Liang
  • Solomon
  • Col. Jackson
  • Disruptor
  • APC
  • Juggernaut
  • Pitbull
  • Kodiak
  • Mammoth Tank
  • Missile Squad
  • Sandstorm
  • Orca
  • Orca Bomber
  • Titan
  • Wolverine
  • Zone Trooper
  • Hammerhead

@EA_dance210:

Honestly, that the majority of people chose this setup shows that they do not understand the game very well. Many people seem to think that using big tech units is the key to victory, but they are mistaken, just like last time. In the last War Games, tech units did not get much play against an opponent who just spammed the cheapest existing units (Banshee, Marauder) at the beginning of the battle. I am quite sure it will be similar this time.

I really think it is unfortunate that 80% of all players are tech unit players. It shouldn't be like that. Ideally, there should be 50% tech and 50% non-tech players. That would be a good balance.
Unfortunately, many of the maps are designed to make it very easy to bring out double harvesters and to defend them with little effort (the usual missile/laser squad at the beginning). I think it is time to bring out some maps that have less or perhaps even no Tiberium, if not as regular maps, then at least for events.

Well maybe that is the point. Maybe they want to try a hand at going the long game without the spamming of the little guys. Kwim? It'll be different for sure. I like different tourney's. Keeps it interesting.

Message 8 of 15 (662 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Play some with alliance member

On map Down the River it's actually okay to harv at the upper corner as you can block opponent missile troops with your own easily

On the other map Tug of War, all tib fields are not touching borders, it will be tricky to defend, better not open with harvester. I tried to rush base directly, but your opponent can easily prevent that too, with their own missile troops.

Message 9 of 15 (646 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I would want to see a very difficult and unstable war games styled event. One has access to all commanders and unit cards but there is a catch: you can't create your deck, the game chooses it for you. What I meant is that the deck is randomized per battle, you could go on a OP and easy to win deck on one match, and be given a rubbish one on the next match. I wonder if this type of event would put all players to the test of their skills with their least used units.

Message 10 of 15 (626 Views)