Re: How do I choose a weekly trait in order to host a party?

by SaphireandSteel

Original Post

How do I choose a weekly trait in order to host a party?

★★★ Novice

How do I choose a trait in order that my Sim can host a party?  

One of my quests is to host a party in my home, but when I click on to throw a party I’m receiving an error message saying my Sim hasn’t chosen his trait yet this week. 

When I go to my heirlooms to choose a trait there are no instructions on how to do that. When I tap on one it wants to charge me 5 tickets just to trade it out with something else. Is that what it means when they are asking me to choose a trait for the week?  How do I choose a weekly trait?

i also have another question regarding events with an elder. I just retired a Sim, but I have no idea how I participate in a family event with him. When I click on him it only allows me to build a friendship with him. How do I do an event with my retired Sim?

honestly, after playing FreePlay for 4 years straight this new Mobile version is very confusing. 

Message 1 of 14 (14,266 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Hi,@CorkyBebe 

How do I choose a trait in order that my Sim can host a party?  

For a new sim you get four trait options that come up a few days apart automatically when playing game. 

One of my quests is to host a party in my home, but when I click on to throw a party I’m receiving an error message saying my Sim hasn’t chosen his trait yet this week. 

To host a party click on the blue arrow tab right middle edge of screen and top tab.  Very first line will say host a party with a countdown timer in days and hours before you can do and is greyed out. If it’s green you can host a party but Your sim you are currently using must be free to host a party and not in another event, eg working, or the party option won’t work. 

When I go to my heirlooms to choose a trait there are no instructions on how to do that. When I tap on one it wants to charge me 5 tickets just to trade it out with something else. Is that what it means when they are asking me to choose a trait for the week?  How do I choose a weekly trait?

The trait options come up automatically in game you can’t hurry them up and the change option is there should you want to change an option you have not create an option.

i also have another question regarding events with an elder. I just retired a Sim, but I have no idea how I participate in a family event with him. When I click on him it only allows me to build a friendship with him. How do I do an event with my retired Sim?

just click on the retired sim start a relationship with them and work it through, they will leave the game after a few days when the cake icon hovers over them and you click and off they go forever. For that quest just starting a relationship should be enough unless it instructs you to take to a certain level.

Hope this helps but ask again if not covered something.

Message 2 of 14 (14,232 Views)

★★★ Novice
I’m sorry, but I’m still not clear on how to go about hosting the party. I’ve been playing this game for several months and have accumulated many heirlooms already. When I click on to host a party the message says I need to choose a weekly trait.
All the instructions you’ve given me I’ve already have done. It’s still doesn’t answer how I am to choose a weekly trait.
Message 3 of 14 (14,217 Views)

★★★ Guide

@CorkyBebe

If you click on your sim and go to their personal screen to change appearance, you should see an icon like a hexagon, that's where you can select a new trait for them if they've made enough progress to have that option available. Once you've done that, you should be available to host a birthday party with that particular sim Standard smile

IMG_6452.jpgIMG_6453.jpg

Message 4 of 14 (14,207 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem as the OP. It just says that I haven't chosen a new trait this week. I have tried switching traits (at the cost of 5 heirloom tickets, I might add) but it didn't solve the problem.

I've been playing the game long enough to be a level 46, and it has always said the same thing each time I've tried to host a party. 

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a glitch that needs to be reported? Also, I noticed on the previous poster's screen shot that there's a 5th trait slot available, and all 4 of my sims only have 4 slots. But if you have to wait for a slot to open up (as I believe someone mentioned in a previous post in this thread), how are some people hosting WEEKLY parties...?

Message 5 of 14 (14,191 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@CorkyBebe wrote:
I’m sorry, but I’m still not clear on how to go about hosting the party. I’ve been playing this game for several months and have accumulated many heirlooms already. When I click on to host a party the message says I need to choose a weekly trait.
All the instructions you’ve given me I’ve already have done. It’s still doesn’t answer how I am to choose a weekly trait.

@thecakeisaLIE82 wrote:

I'm having the same problem as the OP. It just says that I haven't chosen a new trait this week. I have tried switching traits (at the cost of 5 heirloom tickets, I might add) but it didn't solve the problem.

I've been playing the game long enough to be a level 46, and it has always said the same thing each time I've tried to host a party. 

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a glitch that needs to be reported? Also, I noticed on the previous poster's screen shot that there's a 5th trait slot available, and all 4 of my sims only have 4 slots. But if you have to wait for a slot to open up (as I believe someone mentioned in a previous post in this thread), how are some people hosting WEEKLY parties...?

If all of your sims already have four traits you won't be able to throw your first party with them. You'll need to retire one or more and promote or create a new sim in order to get another trait.

Created sims can have four traits. Sims born in the game and raised from infancy can have four regular traits PLUS the "good upbringing" trait gained through family events as they grow up.

Message 6 of 14 (14,167 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

oh, and that's just for your FIRST party. After that the only party that requires you to choose a new trait is the birthday party. The foodie party, studio party, dj party, and wedding party don't require it. The wedding party requires a sim to have recently been married.

Message 7 of 14 (14,164 Views)

★★★ Novice

YES! Exactly what’s happening with me. I’ve attached photos to show what my heirloom page looks like and the message I am getting when trying to host a party. How do I get past this?  What do I need to do I order to host a party?  There’s no button to choose a new trait. If I buy a trait with tickets will that be sufficient to host a party?  

This game is actually very confusing. Nothing is explained properly. I’ve had to google so many things just to figure out how to proceed. Why does this have to be so complicated?  

Message 8 of 14 (14,150 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@CorkyBebe, I think you might be out of time to host a birthday party for that particular sim. A sim can host a birthday party if you still have the space to add a new trait for them, but based on your photos that sim already has four/five traits and is at the retirement stage, so based on what others have already posted, it's too late for them to have birthday parties. They can host other types of parties still, though!

Message 9 of 14 (14,121 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Hi @CorkyBebe

are you ok now with game? If you have retired a sim and got an heirloom, and promoted or created a new sim you should have your trait and be able to host party ok. 

You might need to look at the quests and follow those through as they will guide you thru some of the relationships and wedding quest and baby quest. Be aware they are timed quests , I think you get a couple of days to complete them but they will help you understand basics of how they work in game, that and reading forums!

Message 10 of 14 (14,086 Views)