Heroes vs Villains: Spawn & Target Selection balance

by felker_s

Original Post

Heroes vs Villains: Spawn & Target Selection balance

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

As I've been levelling up my new CW heroes, I've started to play Heroes vs Villains again. What I've noticed - and I've noticed it long before, I just probably didn't make a thread - is how this game mode can punish an already weak or less skilled team (but can also hinder a strong team's progress as well).

Imagine the situation: clash between two full teams, 4v4, only two survive, one badly hurt. During this time, the already defeated players have started respawning, and a new target is being selected: most likely from the remaining two players, since the other two have not yet spawned.

This means that it is possible that by the time the target is selected, four full-health opponents will be there, with only a wounded teammate to provide backup. If they are quick enough, the others don't even have a chance to arrive at the clash.

Also, many times you arrive at the last second to save the day (your teammate is in 1v4 as the target), manage to kill the other team's target, but your buddy dies right after that. This leaves you against 3 opponents, and many times, the little counter tells you that you are basically doomed, since it has chosen you as the next target, and your team is still nowhere near.

But allow me to demonstrate such a situation:

Clip - We kill two opponents, leaving Phasma and Maul directly in our vicinity as possible targets - notice how Phasma would have been the target (even though surrounded by my entire team), hence the little stop in the counter on her death, looking for another one. Problem is, there is no additional time, it instantly chooses Maul, who is now facing 1v4.

I don't know if it is possible, or if it would make it even worse; however, I would propose testing a somewhat more balanced spawn (choosing from spawn points that are closer to the living team member(s)), and also a bit longer delay before selecting a new target on the prev. one's death - allowing the team to get their bearings, and allowing the game to choose from newly spawned players instead of instantly pointing out the only living member as the target.

Message 1 of 7 (669 Views)

Re: Heroes vs Villains: Spawn & Target Selection balance

Heroes vs Villains really needs some rework in my opinion. 

So here are some things that make the experience worse:

• The target system promotes cowardes gameplay. As the target you don't want to fight other since that will probably result in less health, which makes you more vulnerable. Instead, running away from any fight gives more chance in winning the round. 
  • The target of the losing team is often hunted down by the entire enemy team, due to the really big spawn distances. This makes it very hard to coordinate a come-back for a losing team.

I see many posts about 'removing boba from HvV', but I truly believe that his jetpack isn't the problem. Boba is just doing its job: running away as the target. This mode promotes that. Instead, something along the lines of a Hero Blast would reduce this and the game style of Boba Fett players will be adjusted as a result.

Message 2 of 7 (653 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

It doesn't help that many inexperienced players rush into an uneven fight as the target (or to-be target, as they are not paying attention to the indicator). You can't always protect them... That's one of the main reasons I suggested some balancing.

Though I also see some very clever plays. Today I saw a guy jump into the abyss on Bespin - many would say "wtf is that dude doing", but he knew exactly what he was doing: jumping to his death before the game set him as the target, while having my whole team around him. I've also done this from time to time, but problem is, this tactic is also map-specific.

Of course, one could argue that these are all part of the game mode, and everyone should consider these variables - but I think it wouldn't hurt to make it a bit more user-friendly.

On Boba: yes, he could be really annoying. But the mode is also about adapting to the opposing team - both in their playstyle and their characters. If Boba is constantly eluding you, you just have to change to a character that's better against him. Sure, you might feel disgruntled if you have to change from Obi-Wan, but a Blaster Hero is a key part of every team, especially if Boba is present.

Also, skilled Luke players, for example, can evade you just as an average Boba player, by running, jumping around, using Rush, and looking back with a Push or randomly activating a Repulse from time to time. The mode is all about adapting.

Message 3 of 7 (648 Views)

The number of times I've been assigned target at the last second of the counter is also really high. Even though there are a notification sound and a pop-up animation, I do not seem to know when I am the target when the counter starts with 2 seconds left...

I just don't think the mode is ideal right now and need some change. Luckily, the community overall things the mode is kind of bad, so hopefully they adapt it some day Standard smile

Message 4 of 7 (645 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@DYSPROssium 

Yep, that stems from the situation I've included as a clip. If the player who's supposed to be the next target gets killed, you've got a fraction of a second to realise "oh, *I* might be the next one", then two seconds later, you indeed are...

Message 5 of 7 (643 Views)

Champion
One of the worst scenarios in the game is when team mates quit mid game ( tends to happen on losing sides ) leaving your team with 3 or less players. You end up being the target all the time. I have played matches where I am the only player on my team.
Agree with you all on spawn areas being too far away.
"I am not an EA employee. Just a fellow gamer trying to lend a helping hand. I don't know everything but will attempt to find a solution to your problem. If I have helped, please click on the XP button below. If I have solved your problem, Then click on the Accept as Solution Button. Have Fun."

★★★ Pro

@ggibb65 

Yes, that's also problematic, since even at best, it takes really long for the game to fill the server up again - it mostly means a 2-3 round loss streak.

Many times, it doesn't even do that, and you are stuck alone against four opponents until the end of the match, or maybe in 2v4.

I suppose the game still doesn't favor these lobbies when someone is searching for a match. Kinda similar to the empty lobby bug you sometimes get while trying to get into a game.

Message 7 of 7 (599 Views)