Hair Options

by MekiRinka

Original Post

Hair Options

★★★ Apprentice

I would really appreciate it if Sims Mobile put more African American hairstyles. The afro looks kinda pitiful, and dreads are only available for men. 

Message 1 of 5 (831 Views)

Re: Hair Options

★★★★ Guide

I agree with the OP that there needs to be more representation seen in the hairstyles. 

Also, I’ve pointed it out on Reddit before, but will go ahead and voice it here. 

It has been observed by many players in the community that hairstyles commonly seen worn by European descendants are cheaper than hairstyles commonly seen worn by African descendants. And now that TSM broke down the hairstyle colors into swatches to purchase individually, the cost difference of these hairstyles can be particularly felt by players. 

For example, for a player to own the 11 standard colors of the Shoulder Length Waves, which one could argue to be a hairstyle commonly seen worn by European descendants (Top row, 3rd picture), a player would spend 4,949 simoleons. 

Whereas, for a player to own the 11 standard colors of the Romantic Twists, which one could argue to be a hairstyle commonly seen worn by African descendants (Bottom row, 4th picture), a player would spend 14,783 simoleons. 

I’m curious how these prices were determined, and I hope the devs can see how discouraging this may appear for marginalized groups, including racial or ethnic minorities. 

CF7C4D00-D891-4AD1-94A1-596B50F0D518.png

Message 2 of 5 (802 Views)

★★★ Guide

Having to pay for natural skin and hair colours is endeed kind of strange - even if this is just a game (and what a fine game it is) - it is kind of weird.

🙋🏽‍♀️🙋🏻‍♂️🧔👵🏿👨🏻‍🦰👱🏽‍♀️👩🏼👱🏿‍♂️🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏾‍♂️

🌎🌍🌏

🌈         🌞🌞🌞

Message 3 of 5 (793 Views)

This game is somewhat of the baby version of The Sims 4. Recently these awesome hairstyles were added to that game.
It was quite the happening because we never had such detailed curly hair. It's a very complex thing to make from what I've read.
So more might be to come!

A better mix of male and female styles is needed for sure. Is the gender change bug has learned us anything it's that.
But this will take time. If something, The Sims is open to diversity: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/new-cas-update

Prices, in my opinion, are determined by how much people use them, so that would mean they are quite popular.
At least what I see is that the prices of items and colours I use often are more expensive.
And the complexity of converting might have something to do with the price. The higher the level the more something might cost, because you unlock more Sims, you unlock a higher level in careers and hobbies.

Anyhow, I'll pass on the feedback. 

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 4 of 5 (750 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
"Anyhow, I'll pass on the feedback."

Much appreciated. ☺
Message 5 of 5 (737 Views)