Re: HUT Blockbuster Event: Cashing In for a Fused Player Card?

by Roughhouser

Original Post

Accepted Solution

HUT Blockbuster Event: Cashing In for a Fused Player Card?

★★ Novice

I just started playing HUT for the first time this weekend, and this interface is super confusing. In the Blockbuster event, I've collected 12/12 stars for a player (Jack Johnson in this case). How do I turn this into the big fused version of his player card? Do I have to wait until the event clock runs out to be awarded the 4 lesser versions of his card and then fuse them in Sets? Because I'm not seeing any version of JJ in my current collection. Or is that not what the 4 challenges/12 stars are for under each Blockbuster player?

Message 1 of 8 (446 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Roughhouser 

Imagine wanting Jack Johnson...

JK, newbie, having a little fun.  It's as Dipsy described, you go into "Sets" and cash in whatever it asks for, starting from the first cash in and moving on to greater and greater requirements.  That you're just starting now is a huge hindrance, unfortunately, as it'll take something like 14 Gold Collectibles for you to get the max JJ card (honestly, JJ's synergies do actually fit my team, but he's the worst player in the league IRL and overall in NHL 21, the Blockbuster cards cost way too many precious Gold Collectibles to build to the max).  Earning stars for these challenges don't get you the base Blockbuster card to start with, just the collectibles you'll need along the way if you do build up the card in Sets.  While you're in "Sets", though, since you're just getting started, you'll find getting started on the "Fantasy Hockey" cards both easier (no Gold Collectibles to get started) and more useful to your team's Overall right away.

View in thread

Message 3 of 8 (410 Views)

All Replies

I think for Johnson you first acquire the 85OVR version (costs 1 gold collectible) -> You then move on to the next set (costs the card you just got, a jeff Carter, and 3 gold collectibles), so on and so forth trading your way up to your desired OVR version.

Iirc, the stars and things you earned through challenges offer Block Buster collectibles you can use in other sets

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 2 of 8 (418 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Roughhouser 

Imagine wanting Jack Johnson...

JK, newbie, having a little fun.  It's as Dipsy described, you go into "Sets" and cash in whatever it asks for, starting from the first cash in and moving on to greater and greater requirements.  That you're just starting now is a huge hindrance, unfortunately, as it'll take something like 14 Gold Collectibles for you to get the max JJ card (honestly, JJ's synergies do actually fit my team, but he's the worst player in the league IRL and overall in NHL 21, the Blockbuster cards cost way too many precious Gold Collectibles to build to the max).  Earning stars for these challenges don't get you the base Blockbuster card to start with, just the collectibles you'll need along the way if you do build up the card in Sets.  While you're in "Sets", though, since you're just getting started, you'll find getting started on the "Fantasy Hockey" cards both easier (no Gold Collectibles to get started) and more useful to your team's Overall right away.

Message 3 of 8 (411 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply. I didn't particularly *want* Johnson (but as I only started HUT a couple days ago, his fused version would still be a huge upgrade for my team), he was just the first guy I was able to clear 12/12 stars on, lol. At this point, I've done like 4 others. I also started digging more into how sets work, and I have a better understanding now, but your clarification also helps re: the Gold Collectibles. I realize I'm not getting any of these Blockbuster guys now, which is fine. There's plenty else for me to do to acquire good players, I'm finding out each day.

I also have zero idea who Dipsy is.

Message 4 of 8 (404 Views)

★★ Novice

Never mind regarding Dipsy. For some reason, I didn't get a notification for his reply, and didn't see it until after I hit reply to my previous message.

Message 5 of 8 (403 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks!

Message 6 of 8 (402 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Roughhouser 

No problem, man... every event works a little bit differently, as far as what the challenges give you and what it takes to trade in, so make sure you check out the "Sets" every time there's a new event to try to figure out what's going on.  Gold Collectibles are the major stumbling block to getting anything (that's how they get their money, really...), but if you do the challenges when they're available, and save up what you earn, you may be able to cash in at a later date, after the event shows up as a "sunset" set.  Of course, if you no longer have any of the "event collectibles", or if you don't save them (often, you can trade in event collectibles for gold collectibles), or you weren't playing at the time to earn them, even the sunsets won't be worth it to you, but it's there.  The system is really geared towards people playing from release.

You will earn Gold and/or Icon Collectibles by completing Milestone categories, and from some other events (like HUT Rush, sometimes), so definitely keep playing, and you'll eventually be able to get some real nice stuff.  But definitely now that you understand better how Sets work, just have a look at what the requirements are every time a new Event starts, and try to plan out if you'll be able to cash in, or not.  Definitely watch for cash-ins (like "Fantasy") where you can burn Gold Players to start with, instead of Gold Collectibles, and turn your piles of minor-leaguers and sub-80 OVR NHLers that will never be in your lineup into those single quality upgrades.  Check through all the Sets to do things like turn Silver Players into Gold Players, and Gold Players into Gold Collectibles, and also target some Bronze Icons for easier upgrades.  85 and 86 OVR Bronze Icons are cheap to create, even if the selection is random (or save 7 Icon Collectibles to guarantee Lemieux or Gretzky).

Have fun!

Message 7 of 8 (386 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, that's actually what I started doing once I realized all those crappy little bronze and silver guys were good for throwing them in the grinder to upgrade them to the next level up. I've been kind of taking into account the values of everything, what's a good deal, what's a ripoff, including checking people out in the auctions now, getting a sense of worth. Thanks again for the advice.

Message 8 of 8 (373 Views)