Garden Warfare 2 is the biggest dissapointment

by TallerGoblin

Original Post

Garden Warfare 2 is the biggest dissapointment

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Ok so this is going to be a well deserved rant. I played GW1 from the day of its release till the day GW2 came out and I absolutely loved it. I was addicted and had of 45,000 player kills as the camo cactus. Basically  I could not stop playing it. When I heard about GW2 I was simply ecstatic and was dying for its release.

However, upon playing the game it has been the biggest disappointment in every sense of the word. I cannot possible write all the things I dislike about this game but I will try.

It hasn't captured the overall essence of the first game. The maps are rubbish compared to the original maps. They're small, there's invisible walls everywhere and they can' be compared to GW1. Which was super disappointing. I would have preferred they gave us a done up version of the originals to start with. We have maps like the north pole and china town that have absolutely nothing to do with plants vs zombies.

Secondly and probably the most disappointing thing of this game is the game play. The online game play of GW2 is absolutely rubbish. In GW1 you could have  a long game and pretty much always get to the end. For weeks my team doesn't seem to get past the first or second garden (in a full game on turf taker over).

In a nutshell it doesn't matter which character you are, you will die so quickly. In GW1 you could get huge vanquish streaks and even a huge total kill score even if you weren't that good a player. that doesn't follow through in this game. They need to split the online games into the old plants and zom and the new plants and zom because every single one of the old plants and zom from GW1 is absolutely * compared to the new ones. They are no where near as powerful and they just die. The old characters do not mix with the new ones...period!!! Heck the new ones barely mix with the new ones!!!

Also, I suspect that this game we'll be just one overpowered character after another. First it was rose and now its super brains. Then after they fix him (when they decide to hurry up and do it) some other character will be too O.P. Basically the balancing system in this game is non existent and it is the most frustrating thing ever!

Also this game is unfair in terms of its card packs. I have spent over 10 million coins and so far I don't have a full legendary character (I'm level 10:45) I have seen people on levels 100 and 300 with multiple legendary characters. Yesterday I saw a guy with toxic brains and iron citron on level 1:50??? Wheres the justice in that? I have spent all of my 1 million coins buying the same 35 grand fertilizer pack and have nothing. It's beyond frustrating.

No to mention the wealth of technical issues I've been having with E.A servers. My connection is perfect but every time I log on there's something wrong that screws up my online game play. I just had to stop playing now because my game kept chronically freezing every 20 secs.

Now I could care less if you come after me but I want people to listen to what I've said. The truth is I am a hugely loyal fan of this game and I just want things to be as good as or better than PW1 because at the  moment people will be leaving this game in busloads.

I had to get this out because every time I finish playing a game of GW2 i feel robbed and  VERY frustrated.

Message 1 of 14 (1,505 Views)

Re: Garden Warfare 2 is the biggest dissapointment

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

45,000 player kills - you need to get out more Standard smile

The problem isn't GW2 because on it's own it's actually a pretty decent game. No, the problem is actually GW1 and the fact that after all this time it still refuses to go away. It's very, very rare that the ongoing popularity of the prequel overlaps with the release of the sequel (even more so after a 2 year gap between releases) yet it seems like GW1 has fallen into that category, resulting in the unusual scenario of active gamers being able to make a better judgement of the game. On any other day (with a game that had expired it's usefulness) PopCap would probably have gotten away with the "bigger, badder, bigger" approach of GW2 and i'm pretty sure the newer take on the franchise would probably have been better accepted amongst plant and zombie lovers. But as we all know this doesn't seem to be "any other day"

I do kind of sympathise with PopCap because it was always going to be a difficult process in trying to coax an active 'old school' crew away from GW1 - and nothing short of an exceptional product was ever going to achieve that goal. As I have said on previous occasions GW2 is a good game (maybe even a very good game in it's own merit) but it hasn't quite reached those desired expectation levels that gamers wanted.

If it's not broken, fix it anyway because that's what people want.

If it's not broken, don't fix it and suffer the wrath of people complaining about paying for the same product over and over again

Oh how I envy software developers Standard smile

Message 2 of 14 (1,445 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@TallerGoblin

XP given, welcome to the club. You can either try voice your opinion like I am trying, or you can say your piece and leave. I am probably going to regret wasting my time and effort trying to balance this mess though because chances are the newbies that abuse overpowered characters think they're the best, think you're super bad and well, they make sure everyone stops playing so that they can feel powerful Standard smile

Hypocrites everywhere, they're so happy when Rose was fixed but now are hell bent anything else getting fixed because their side is winning. People who only play balanced games have quit and gone, I'm struggling to find a reason to play online because when I use the broken characters I'm winning everyone, it's not even a challenge.

They probably should have stuck to plants always defending, if they weren't able to predict the outcome of this one sided mess.

Message 3 of 14 (1,438 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
The new characters ruined the game. They did not buff the old characters so they're basically useless against the new insanity. Like honestly I can't hit the imp for *. And I keep getting gravity bombed and group shot every 30 seconds. The new maps feel uninspired. The pacing is way too fast. There are way too many loading screens just to get to an online match. The game lags when friends join. This is what happens when you don't do any research and just assume your audience wants whatever you give them.
Message 4 of 14 (1,392 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Yep.

Balance is important for games to be fun, because when you lose, it should be because the other player/team is simply better, not because a class is broken or too powerful.

Fun > Winning

Winning = Fun

Losing < Fun

Losing can only be fun when games are too close for comfort, and everyone had a really great time. Not when it's a landslide, or when classes are broken. People seem to have the idea that I want two identicle sides, well I have news for you...I don't.

You can't just give one side a class that has Blink and a Shotgun, and gave that same side a Mech that has TWICE the health of any other unit with extra abilities, on top of that same side having way more offensive orientated abilities.

That creates imbalance, to even the most stupid of people...

If you can't see this, then you're choosing to simply ignore this fact. They created this imbalance in the first game and it was evident, to anyone that knows anything about imbalance. They couldn't create lanced characters for game modes where one team has turrets and spawns in the same place, that's not fair? They can however adjust classes, game modes and maps to favour one team over another and well, they haven't done this properly.

Message 5 of 14 (1,384 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Agreed. Reviews said this game was awesome, had some fun with the first, bought this, BAM. Un-balanced, buggy, laggy, disconnecting of a game...reminds me of Battlefield 4 at release.

Message 6 of 14 (1,381 Views)

★ Pro

Well this feels like it should be in Alpha still...

Message 7 of 14 (1,376 Views)

★ Guide

Glad to know other people out there feel the same way. I don't think there is a true fan out there of GW1 that can put their hand up and say they like this game. If you've come to this game without playing GW1 than you have no idea what your talking about.

They say they're listening to us but all we've had is one tiny patch update that gave us much needed character control (something that in my opinion shouldn't have been a problem) plus 1 redone map from GW1 It wasn't even a map for turf takeover.

I was hoping that this time round the dlc would be much more frequent. I don't care if you give us a 1 new pot plant every two weeks at least it shows that you care. I mean we only got about 5-6 dlc updates in GW1 before they abandoned us and didn't even fix the much needed bug problems which are still a problem to this day.

Message 8 of 14 (1,357 Views)

★ Guide

@Zaheen1337 wrote:

@TallerGoblin

XP given, welcome to the club. You can either try voice your opinion like I am trying, or you can say your piece and leave. I am probably going to regret wasting my time and effort trying to balance this mess though because chances are the newbies that abuse overpowered characters think they're the best, think you're super bad and well, they make sure everyone stops playing so that they can feel powerful Standard smile

Hypocrites everywhere, they're so happy when Rose was fixed but now are hell bent anything else getting fixed because their side is winning. People who only play balanced games have quit and gone, I'm struggling to find a reason to play online because when I use the broken characters I'm winning everyone, it's not even a challenge.

They probably should have stuck to plants always defending, if they weren't able to predict the outcome of this one sided mess.

The irony of this post underscores how much of a hypocrite you are. You say you love plants (like me) and yet you've openly stated on other threads that you'll only play zombies now, with the 'op' classes just so you can win. To make it worse you've mastered most of these, and their variants, by farming xp under very, very favourable conditions against AI, and then taking these fully upgraded 'op' classes online against underleveled plant players.

Yep that's just peachy. Thanks for your support as a fellow plant player.

Message 9 of 14 (1,350 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Glad to know other people out there feel the same way. I don't think there is a true fan out there of GW1 that can put their hand up and say they like this game.

Yup.

I'm a reg. poster on the Amazon video game forum. And everyone there knows I'm addicted to GW1. I always say how great a game it is and encourage others to buy it. So it was extremely hard to post my views about GW2. I ended up advising people not to buy it. I said at the very least people should hold off until the major issues were fixed. Even though there were some fun moments to be had in the game, with some of the changes made, the unbalanced game play, the glitches and bugs, and just the overall experience wasn't worth it. I didn't even touch on just how much less fun it is in general compared the GW1. That game just makes me laugh out-loud happy when I play it in a way I don't think this one ever could.

Though I desperately wish it did.

Message 10 of 14 (1,339 Views)