Re: Game Balance and Matchmaking - We want your feedback!

by MayorBig

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

Played a few against tiberium infantry. Must say they pack a punch and the gas stays for a substantial time which is good for map control. They seem strong. Maybe not overbearing but I know I would sure love to have them to mix up with flame troopers and scarabs, especially when fighting same opponents in a row. Maybe the gas cloud could dissipate at slightly faster rate but as I said not sure on that.

Message 51 of 893 (6,549 Views)

★ Guide
Ah chemical warriors, perfectly balanced in my opinion, their high cost matches their usefulness quite well and they tend to come late enough for counters to easily answer them. They are a lot of fun to play with though, I ran them alongside Jade for a long time where they make a wonderful ion cannon impression, but as the top level meta has developed they've sort of gone out of favor, lots of air units they do nothing against out there now.

Sadly they aren't the scarab counter you're hoping for since you're spending 60 to kill one 30 cost unit, and yes, they generally do trade 1 to 1, nothing without 2 range counters scarabs effectively at this point since the only other answer of running riflemen into them, while cost efficient, will likely lose you too much time to the enemy.
Message 52 of 893 (6,539 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Well the other day I posted about the orca from GDI attacking harvesters and you mentioned using scarabs to me which I have now unlocked and must say. They do make a good counter indeed and overall scarab is one of my favorite units to use as of now. Really good at exactly what is intended to do. Feels good to use as protection for initial harvester. As well as maintaining hex control. Very weak at frontal assault. Lives up to it's description quite well.

On a different note. Some of my nod vs nod battles are complete bike spam fests. A popular nod tactic is 1 or 2 bikes straight away and assault the harvester for a quick eco boost. However both nods often just will not build an early harvester in the early game in anticipation of this. Thus more bikes are appropriate as they are cheap and counter...other bikes. If my opponent breaksaway from the harass of constant bike stream I am able to overwhelm them and same vice versa. It i stop at that point I will be overwhelmed. IDK just a situation I have noticed a few times now I wanted to bring up.

Message 53 of 893 (6,530 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@KilledByStephenI have definitely played against a few Nod vs Nod matches that involved Attack Bike spam rush to try and get the harvester. With how common the tactic is the counter to it is to go Hand of Nod into two Laser Soldiers and if possible try to surround your harvester where no Attack Bikes can reach it with your soldiers or in a manner that only one Attack Bike can reach while your Laser Soldier can still fire back. I have noticed that if you counter this initial rush with double Laser Soldier that usually the match swings in your favor as the enemy has juvust invested about 70-100 Tiberium based on if they build 1 or 2 Attack Bikes and likely delayed their own harvester while it will take them time to try and open up their Hand of Nod to counter your two soldiers. The same strategy works well against the GDI Orca rush or funny enough if you rush attack bikes you can counter the early GDI Orca.

The Nod Scarab I am conflicted about because while I do see that you can easily sacrifice two rifleman into and come out on top since the Scarab costs 40 and two Militant or Rifleman Squads only costs 20. I don't like how the unit gets two suicide attacks on virtually any unit in the game to me I think the Nod Scarab should fire both scarabs at once not get to potentially destroy two high cost late game units for 40 tiberium, but I think this may be a minor issue as I do not see many Nod Scarabs lately around 850 rating for both Nod and GDI matches. Their popularity seems to have dropped for some unknown reason, a few days ago they were very popular to be used or perhaps higher up they will see more play as they are a tactical type unit.

Message 54 of 893 (6,503 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

yeah nobody really runs scarabs in upper player levels because snipers exist and certain types of rushes are just too fast and widespread for scarabs to be useful, but I do still like them and they are a good low-mid level unit, I wouldn't be surprised if they found a niche somewhere after we have some more people with the majority of the unlocks to develop the meta or if we get some patches that change things up a bit. I also agree they should both fire at once so you don't get 2 for 1s off them though.

Also to steal a page out of our current #2 player's playbook you could do what they just did to beat me a few times and take that #2 spot, don't rush bikes, rush infantry. Its cheaper, a bit harder to deal with as it seizes the board and attacks harvesters, and you get a lot more infantry for your budget. Fairly willing to bet someone rushing attack bikes just dies to this.

Message 55 of 893 (6,508 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

what did they do better? I had artillery vehicles and lost to common artillery and jump troopers. they beat tanks, and trucks? What?  a tank didn't take out a jump trooper , but lost to it. how in the world does a gun bullet beat a rocked 100 times larger bullet?

Message 56 of 893 (6,457 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@MayorBigRTS games usually don't follow real world logic in that a tank shell would devastate any entire infantry squad but rather that tanks beat light vehicles like the rhino and wolverine while losing to heavier class vehicles like the GDI Sandstorm and Titan. But looking at your army you have a very vehicle based setup with no real way of efficiently defeating Jump jet Troopers besides the Wolverine as Rhinos will lose 1 v 1 to a Jumpjet trooper and barely defeat a rocket sqaud, the Jumpjet troopers also counter the Predator Tank, Sandstorm and Titan. To be fair all the enemy really needs to shut down your whole team is Jumpjet troopers backed by a Predator Tank or late game by a GDI Sandstorm as the Sandstorm will take care of any anti infantry vehicle threats, while the Jump jet troopers will take care of any anti armor vehicle threats to the Predator Tank or Sandstorm.

A suggested team composition would be GDI Rifleman Sqauds, Missile Squads/Jumpjet Troopers (only take the Jumpjets over the Missile Squads if you have them), Rhino, Predator Tank, Wolverine and finally Titan. I recommend the Titan over the Sandstorm as it tends to be better. The Titan counters the Sandstorm as deals with it within two shots and survives about three barrages before going down, likely more as yours is a level 6. The Sandstorm only really shines if you face aircraft which you won't unlock or have to fight for a few levels where it becomes more prevalent. I hope this advice helps but definitely don't be afraid to experiment and find out what works as you are still starting out and will improve as you continue to play.

Message 57 of 893 (6,436 Views)

★★★ Newbie

After a certain point the nod sector is unlocked and you have to start playing nod to earn daily challenges to get a crate. I feel as though I'm forced to play as nod and that I'm getting penalized for not playing as nod. I'm not suggesting taking nod out of the game but instead making two different set of challenges for nod and gdi. That way gdi players won't be penalized for not playing nod and players who play nod and gdi are rewarded for mastering two different factions.

Message 58 of 893 (6,425 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Scarabs. Nod vs Nod I cannot do anything at level 6. Every single unit I have is ineffective against them. I need 2-4 units to defeat scarabs if I am lucky.

The moment one is brought out in a game I lost. Why is it like this?

Message 59 of 893 (6,414 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
What fun I'm having only maybe an upgrade to the vehicle delivery of a crate is in order. I would like to Sell excess fuel for another crate. I mean, playing a few battles refuels, so they just sit there full until they can be spent on making an early delivery. It could be spent on a single crate instead of another delivery. One time only. Standard smile
Message 60 of 893 (6,385 Views)