by Dave1108

Original Post

Unable to extinguish fire on tables/surface

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything except my first pet stuff and laundry day stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Put an object like a piece of coal on a table or other surface item and use simray to transform it until it catches fire.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims won't be able to extinguish the fire and will show obstructive though bubble on their head as if the path to the fire is blocked even though it's right in front of them.
What do you expect to see? Being able to extinguish the fire.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I'm not sure whether or not this is only affecting the fire that is started with simray but I was able to extinguish the fire that is started with simray for objects that are sitting on the floor instead of surfaces.

Edit By Crinrict: Removed outdated tag.

Message 1 of 8 (1,828 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Unable to extinguish fire on tables/surface

Hero
Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 8 (1,746 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I've been noticing this one myself, except it's with any object that comes in too close proximity to a fireplace. Tablets, Instruments...anything that a Sim can carry around, really.

What's even weirder is that it'll treat the object as still "on" the Sim carrying it, even if they put the object on a surface like a table or bar.

- B

Message 3 of 8 (1,738 Views)

GET WORK FIRE BUG!

★★★ Newbie

Super annoying bug from Sims 4 GET TO WORK expansion that I just discovered.  Work told me to Transform a Collectible with my SimRay.  Placed said collectible on a table and clicked Transform.  Guess what? It transformed it into FIRE.  Not just any fire.  An UNEXTINGUISHABLE Fire.  Fortunately the fire didn't spread throughout the lab, just stayed atop the table like a burning torch.  Oh yeah.  I couldn't go home after my shift.  So I went and stood outside with the other dweebs I work with.  MAJOR ANNOYANCE at this bug.

Message 4 of 8 (1,772 Views)

Re: GET WORK FIRE BUG!

@Dave1108  LOL!

I mean, sorry, that sounds very annoying, and I'd be annoyed too if it happened to me.

I've moved your post to Sims 4 game info.  I'm not sure whether it's a bug or not, but you can ask here if anyone knows more.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 8 (1,763 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Dave1108, while I have never had a fire from the Sim Ray gun before, at least not that I can remember, I talked to @puzzlezaddict  about it and tested it for you.  

I did have to transform it many times for it to catch fire (you must have just been "lucky" ShockedLarge smileWink ) but I was able to get it to catch fire!   And just like you, I wasn't able to extinguish it.  The Sim Ray doesn't work for that, even though it gives you the option to put it out with the Sim Ray gun! .  It is either bugged, or else they planned on giving it that capability but forgot. Wondering 

In the end, just like in your case, the fire didn't really damage anything (not even the desk it was on! Raised eyebrow ) other than a sooty spot on the floor that was easily cleaned.

But while I was trying to extinguish the fire, I was upset that the option to use a fire extinguisher wasn't available!  So, I thought to go into my Sim's inventory and remove the Sim Ray gun and put it outside (to be safe incase the fire spread) -- after that the option to extinguish the fire (the normal way) .  I didn't try it because I was testing to see if my fire eventually went out on its own like yours did, and also to see if I would be stuck at work like you.  While the fire did go out on its own, my Sim was able to go home from work normally.  

. Did your fire occur at the end of the work shift, perhaps?Wondering  If it did, maybe that messed up with the "timer" that forces your Sim to go home,Thinking

I will test it again to see if removing the Sim Ray really allows you to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher like normal.Raised eyebrow  Nerd

Update:  It doesn't! Disappointed You might have already tried it, but I had to try it because I was curious! Wink

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 6 of 8 (1,736 Views)

EA app Team
Thanks for your detailed reports!

@Dave1108 - I've merged your post into this thread, as it sounds you experienced the same situation @Sentinel_VX reported in their message.

Thanks,
-Mai
Message 7 of 8 (1,678 Views)

★ Apprentice

I was about to make my own bug report but noticed that this bug has already been noticed.

So here I am telling my POV to this bug.

One of my Sims was just casually going to the waffle maker(I have no idea what he wanted to do, free will was on and the waffle maker had already cooked waffles). Then for some reason the counter ignited and I wasn't able to extinguish it, since my sim complained not being able to reach it.

Then it spread out...

20.02.24_20-01-43.png

Even the firefighters were clueless...

Hopeless Firefighter

So the fire is in clear view and definitely reachable but the firefighter thinks otherwise.

I couldn't do anything for some time.

Luckily since few sims were at work, at some point someone came back and was somehow left unaffected by the fire. He just went up the waffle maker and tried repairing without giving any attention to the fire.

Selecting him made it possible to destroy the fire with the "Destroy Object"-Cheat and therefore eradicate the threat.

But seriously, having to resort to a "cheat" of all things to get rid of this trouble is ridiculous.

To be fair I had this "unreachable" fire issue once before, where it spread onto walls and also had unreachable flames but I was eventually able to wait it out and my household lived without fires for a long time after the that incident. But this must be fixed.

I was unable to reload my savefile without mods enabled, so I can't test it without mods right now.

But judging that this issue definitely occurs without mods enabled will make this test unnecessary here.

---

I can't reproduce this issue by forcing fires through the "Inferno"-Spell I'm afraid since my sims can reach the same spot that way. But I can attempt using the SimRay(since I got one sim having one in his inventory) to extinguish those pesky flames sometime.

Message 8 of 8 (610 Views)