Free play galactic conquest mode

by launcher111

Original Post

Free play galactic conquest mode

★★★★★ Novice

Take a piece from star wars empire at war. The original battle front 2 had the 501st story line. It was a nice touch, buying bonuses advantages and different classes. Maybe its time for a more free play game.

First off have solidiers lifes mean something. Give them more value... Losing ships and solidiers should be a painful experience. What i mean by this is... Take away limitless battles. Meaning everything is carried over from battle to battle.. If your enemy just lost an armada. Make them regroup a while. Have there forces weakened.

What this means is.... Lets say you start as a sargent at genosis. You command a small 40 man support ship. Your ship primarily is a landing craft, resupply ship, you have no jedi commander. You take roles in battles. But also can bail on them. You loot enemies, trade with pirates, planets, hutts. Who ever you want.

You play as a clone republic officer trained by an instructor on Kamino who was shot for breaking rules and imparting corrupting ideas. As a result your officer, for fear of contamination mentally is asigned a small ship and small crew. Something along the lines of a tartan cruiser. 

The galaxy is at war, you have several groups, Republic, Cis, Hutts, crinsom dawn, pirates, neutral planets. Each system has military and many have several bases. You will take supplies you looted and sell them. You will also adapt your ship and improve it. Also in time get more ships

You will set up a small base. Either on ground, space station or a fleet. Either openly or in secret. You will hit small outposts on your own. You will get astromech droids to improve and maintain your ship.

As the officer of the ship you will recieve orders and tasks. The better you do this, the faster your rank rises. You will have emperor orders and jedi orders... You can choose to be more emperor or jedi aligned in the republic. 

Lets say your emperor aligned. You will get a posting as a patrol in the Naboo or Kamino sector. If jedi aligned patrolling Kashyyyk or Moncalamari.

You basically are a tech hunter... At the start of the clone war. It was throwing things together in secret. As the war progressed it went from big bulky lasers to machine guns. You will aquire better tech... An example Mandalorian tech for your troops. Corillian ship parts to upgrade your ships. Going sector to sector finding upgrades...

The game would be free play mode, you assist your side. However after a battle, you need to repair and fix up. Get reinforcements and parts and hyper fuel. You pick your destination. As an example, enroute to a fleet rally point... Might have ran into a small Cis frigate... You call in you fought the ship and destroyed it... So when you sell the frigate back to the Cis that you really invaded with marines. In exchange for credits... You can do these things... Just dont want to get caught. 

Star wars is about the ships, planets and tech. This mode lets you play with all the toys. Selling and using captured ships. The nice part is the way this is set up. You can play as rebels or empire in the galactic civil war. Or be a pirate or crinsom dawn, or owner of a planet. In the end... Limitless possibilities.

Now imagine the possibilities you could be the perfect soldier, the worst soldier, however in the end both can be fleet Admirals. 

Battlefront deals with major battles on large scales. Having small battles where its 20 on 40 at a small outpost. Where you have 10 minutes to win, grab what you can and run. Or a Cis patrol will be on you with 500 droids cutting down your army. Now the outcome of this battle... Totaly insignificant to the war. However might get a Cis commander to ransom, some credits and weapons laying around you take with you. Maybe steal a landing craft. What you get out of this... A reason to not follow orders, and generate more money to further upgrade your ship and troops.

Have things really die and really blow up... If your ship blows up. All your troopers die... Well games up... You lost... When your ship is gone.. Its gone.. All the supplies and tech is gone... When you lose a land battle and all your troops die there... You lose everything they went with. Your ships are fine.. But you get green recruits. No advanced skills or tech... It isnt good... 

You can recruit non clones. However that opens you up to spys and traitors.

Superships would be possible, as an example you may get told you can buy and make your own cruiser. But cant issue one due to heavy fleet losses.

Upgrading a ship is limitless, you.can research it yourself or buy it already made. In time will have a research building or ship. You give them tech to backwards engineer, or current tech to fine tune and upgrade. They than can build things for you. 

The clones obviously are from Kamino. When you prove yourself in battle, you keep getting granted more troops when they are avaliable. You may not get clones to replace loses every month. In time will make a medical ship to repair clones.. Also in time to breed more clones. You can breed wookies, ewoks, gungans.. Anything you want, however will get pushed into being a rebel at the end of the clone wars... And safe to say will have an empire fleet chasing you. 

A planet can have many bases, so if you plan on taking Kashyyyk... You might need to win 30 battles to take the planet. Its a long drawn out war. 

In time you may be granted special orders. An example to loot any enemy ship. Meaning you can go hunting enemy ships without end. Most likely being a blockade breaker. With that in mind. Your going to focus on ships, marine tech and fighters tech... With zero concern for ground combat.

In the grand scheme of things.. Wether clones or Cis kill jedis.. Same outcome... The emperor remains in charge. If you are of no consequence.. The Cis can win the war... The empire would just be more robotic. As opposed to a story about how jedis tried killing him... He just says im the emperor... The robots say i am...

Message 1 of 7 (2,638 Views)

Re: Free play galactic conquest mode

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Take a look at solo... The Melenium Falcon was greatly upgraded by Lando and Han Solo. The Ghost from rebels was greatly upgraded. Turning every day normal ships into super ships. Have admiral Radisks super ship, have admiral Ackbars super ship home one. They all out preformed standard ships significantly. The clone wars always dealt with Cis super ships. Next generation republic cruisers even where tested...

The game would be day to day and unfold slower. Your ship may take a month to repair. You might be hiding out behind enemy lines, and have issues sneaking through.

You pick your orgin. Either clone or are a realative of a trade guild leader... Nephew or Niece. And you arrive at Geonosis mid battle. You protect a cruiser or trade ship, shoot up a few enemy fighters. Than do some post battle looting. Thing like finding damaged enemy ships. And try and blow them up or loot them before they repair and escape. After the battle the fleets all depart, in all directions. You can stay as long as you want. However might get chased away by enemy ships. You would be looking for a ship to acquire, escape pods to get more recruits from.

Message 2 of 7 (2,619 Views)

You thought that out pretty well, @launcher111 !

I am in no way a game designer, but I've had my own thoughts about this.

The current Battlefront 2 game has a single player campaign, but has nothing compared to the sinlge player galactic conquest mode that the original Battlefront 2 had (2005). To be realistic, such a gamemode could be added to battlefront, but an all out multiplayer mode will probably not happen in this game.

So I see a few realistic scenario's for these ideas:

1. The current Star Wars Battlefront 2 gets a proper singnle player upgrade, adding Galactic Conquest to it. In this mode you as a player only fight against bots, not multiplayer. You start with a ship and can attack other fleets, upgrade the ship. Then when you get to a planet, you must fight against bots on that planet and claim the planet, getting rewards to be spend only in the mode (new ships, more fleets, better soldiers etc). I think this is most realistically what we could have in the best case scenario from the current lifeservice of the game.
  2. A new game in which multiplayer is enabled. I see this as a kind of chess game. You can randomly pick an enemy player (real player) and fight against their army. As you progress, you get more and more credits to repair or reinforce your garnison. The game is over when your enemy captures your homeworld, which is of course the hardest to take. I don't know if this is realistically, because it requires a player to do a move within a set time. But something in the lines of this (with a multiplayer aspect) would create more variety in the game.
  3. A new (multiplayer) game in which you start with a fleet and build up that fleet. You have certain resources that help you to build epic stuff. These resources are for example linked to a planet. I start with Mustafar, so I have better grade metal for my ship, while you start with Geonosis with a lot of workers that can build ships much faster. If for example I want to own Geonosis, I select an online player and have to defeat a fleet first, and then infiltrate the planet. The other player can build strong defenses and such to repell your attack. If I lose, I lose what I put into the game. If I win, hoeray I got the resources from Geonosis. So what's next? I could try to attack some other online player (maybe should be ranked so that good players cant just pick noobs) and get their resources.

Just as a side note, another single player star wars game is in the works, as was confirmed last year on E3. It will be a single player following some new character (there are not much details available yet). So definitely look out for that!

Also, if you want to spark more discussion about these type of games you would like to see, please consider posting these ideas other star wars forums. Such as the offical Star Wars Battlefront discusion forum:https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/, or to the Star Wars battlefront reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsbattlefront and if you want to talk more about your wishes for other games, I would suggest bringing the discussion to the star wars games reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsgames/

Message 3 of 7 (2,592 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Ea focuses heavily on the super hero aspect. That they need more heros to make a new game. One of the best parts of battle front is when there are no heros.    

Imagine a planetary battle taking days to weeks in game. Where you get a blockade. One side probing the defences, massive space battles, debris all over. Where you have 1/3 of all in game ships and units there. Where resupply missions are attacked constantly.

Ship tech trees.... Where your upgrades can be transfered through out the same class. And expand the class, for example a Moncalamari frigate, dreadnaught, carrier class. Have a freighter and fighter class, along with transports, blockade runners also.  Do this for Corelian, imperial, Naboo, trade federation, Republic, nebulon. Rounding out the tech trees more. 

They would have similar appearances and be easy to see they are related.

Message 4 of 7 (2,583 Views)

★★★ Guide

I don't think it can go as long as you suggest in a multiplayer, maybe single player. Also they should uncap global level

Ive expressed similar sentiments about ONLINE GALACTIC CONQUEST a few times, Im not sure if they understand how good it would be for the game  It creates drive, and allows the players to become their own story, plus it would be a great business model in that a dlc expansion would mean new parts of space opened up. 

The ability to have gamers in a perpetual war for the galaxy.  

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/Online-Galatic-Conquest-is-what-the-series-needs/m-p/7318...

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/How-can-you-give-a-long-life-to-battlefront-2/m-p/7073872...

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Game-Information/Online-Galatic-Conquest-is-what-the-series-needs/m-p/7318...

Message 5 of 7 (2,574 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

The only way multiplayer would work is an MMO with several hundred to thousands of players per server.

Take Naboo.. It has the human capitol, but also has the Gungan villages, above and below water. The Gungan under water structure technology... This would be valuable on Kamino. Even if only used for clone training zones. 

Lets say you kill 20 Cis standard battle droids. If you take the parts, you should be able to retrieve parts. Like there rifles, cpus, power core, motors. Now you could combine cpus, perhaps make a protocol droid or astromech droid, medical droid, inventory droid, L3 type navagiator droid, a k2 type prision droid, of course programmed attack droids, or the command droids. So you could play with quality, a chopper type astromech may require 5 battle droid cpus. Where as an R2D2 may require 25, and a BB8 may require 50 battle droids cpus. Add in experience. Now it is difficult to take into account 20-30 droids. Thats why they should add to a ships stats... An example a fighter with a droid, the droids stays with the ship.

So what that means is your droids would effect repair speed, jump calculation speed, construction speed. So lets say you have a Corrilian Corvette with an L3 unit of decent skill, a jump instead of taking 40 seconds, might now take 25. Lets say a pilot is injured 3 week injury, have a medic bay and medical droid, get some bacta, now might be 3 days. 

The player would have choices to make... An example would be you likely could have 5 squads of clones at base levels. Or 1 squad thats special forces grade, flying around shooting rockets into the other 5 squads with machine gunners hosing down the rest. Another option would be buying land assault craft. So rather than quanity or quality. You could have 1 ATAT walker.

Same goes for space battles. If you have some Mustafar grade A armor on your Accumulator Cruiser, have some cloaking generator, an ion cannon, Naboo shields, a high end power source and removed landing craft abilites, such as cargo space for land vehicles and transporting troops. Add in some lethal fighter squadrons. If you attacked a fresh off the line star destroyer... The cruiser should easily win. The cruiser also probably cost way way more. The benefit being your troops experience gains will be kept longer term. So your ship will fly faster, react faster, fire faster, Deploy fighters faster, have better aim causing more destruction.

Message 6 of 7 (2,554 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

You would have fleet rally points, and fleet safe zones. So newer and weaker players would have safe zones.   Also would be able to join in group battles. Also play in alliances and with friends, or against them.

This game would be about quick strikes at opportune timing. Things like looting supply convoys, raiding refineries, supply depots. Picking up stranded units to add to your fleet. 

Have an economy allowing for trade. It could be simple...  Metal, hyper fuel, plastic, engine parts, weapon parts, Sensor parts, hyper drive parts, reactor parts. Have refineries, trade outpost, and ship yards to trade at. 

Squadrons have 20 troops and 1 officer, for ground combat. As your troops gain experience, they can do more. They fight as a group, so can invest materials, and will upgrade there equipment. An example add medic technology and gain a field medic. Lets say you add a few hundred jet pack parts. What that does is allow for longer duration flights, speed and altitude. Add in rifle parts and you get better accuracy, more rounds per magazine. 

Than vehicles... Same situation, they use ship parts, which fighters also use. So to upgrade a vehicles attributes. Like everything else the more it proves itself in combat, the more you can feed it. So lets say you have 4 AT-TE in 1 Squadron and all 21 troops are in them. Lets say all your troops are trained engineers of level 1 or higher. The AT-TE's are of different levels and abilities. 2 are made for anti infantry, with rapid fire laser turrets all over them. Have 1 more for anti vehicle based weapons. The main AT-TE has 8 troopers and the commander. Has 8 Legs, missile batteries, an AT-AT walker style head and laser system. Downward flame throwers to ignite anything below it.   Now these AT-TE you need to bring in your ships and pick them up after the battle. Your ships become at risk from ground fire.

When your ships upgrade. They can upgrade longer and taller and wider. And components inside and out.

Message 7 of 7 (2,533 Views)