Re: Formal Request: Donkeys

by magiclesquibbles

Original Post

Formal Request: Donkeys

Champion

There are a number of stories of heroic donkeys that served during WWI. Although most if not all of them didn't serve as cavalry units, they acted as a medical unit, transporting the wounded and/or trotting along with supplies. One was even born in the trenches at the Somme in 1916 and helped the war effort. Further research shows many stories of courageous donkeys - "the donkey of Gallipoli", "Simpson and his Donkey", "The Man and his Donkey", and others. Indeed, donkeys were enormously beneficial over stretcher bearers to transport the wounded, especially in rough and mountainous terrain.

It may sound very strange at first, but I think it would be neat to have donkeys in the game, if not as a formal add-on, then as a secret "skin" unlock to choose as your "horse" (I think this would be both hilarious and badass, pun intended). If going the formal unit route, then they could be a mobile triage which constantly heals around a radius larger than a med kit, can't be spotted, find and carry dying soldiers to the nearest medic to be revived (with an extended revive time), act as general med evac to the injured, and maybe even release smoke around nearby downed allies or out the donkey's rear as it carries the injured away from enemies. If spawning in is not feasible, then donkey units could be medic elite kits found on the field. Overall, they'd make a great medic that actually does its job - for this reason alone, maybe it should be considered... Just my 2 cents...

If you found this post helpful, please leave XP.
If you disagree, please leave a comment.
Either way, it helps to make the post more informative.

I like game design - from itty bitty bugs to big ideas.
I don't work for EA.

Join us on our Easter Egg hunt.
Message 1 of 10 (1,003 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I like the idea of a donkey skin Thumbs up

To take this a little further, my idea would be a zebra skin (not only for the desert maps).

These 2 would be a great addition to the battlepack system, or a community mission. Standard smile

Message 2 of 10 (989 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, that's a good idea for a new medic unit, maybe instead of being a super high armour elite, its a super high speed? Then it could run around doing speed revives and throwing med packs around

Message 3 of 10 (974 Views)

EA Community Manager

Although I wouldn't know how to implement the donkeys right away, I want to add to the historical part.

You mentioned "Simpson and his Donkey" - Simpson's dull name is "John Simpson Kirkpatrick". The PTFO Cei Rigotti Weapon skin you could obtain during Battlefest: Revolution is called "The Kirkpatrick" in his honour, therefore it is a skin for a medic rifle after all.

(Thanks for letting my steal your photo, Westie.)

Kirkpatrick.jpg

Message 4 of 10 (959 Views)

Champion

I'd want to see a continuation of that honoring. I think that at least a donkey skin for the horse would be amazing. Imagine trotting along on the battlefield with a stubby little donkey, mounting it as a big ol' Sentry unit - hilarious!

I don't work for EA.

Message 5 of 10 (953 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Lol, this would be pretty great to see in the game. On the topic of adding vehicles (if you consider donkeys and horses to be "vehicles"), what about adding bicycles to the game? I saw a photograph of a WWI bicycle rigged with a Villar Perosa on the front handle bars (the "double Automatico" SMG that one of the variations of sentries carry)... That would be downright TERRIFYING (and hilarious)!

Message 6 of 10 (948 Views)

Champion

I'd want to see a bicycle, too - it would be hilarious getting roadkills with it lol.

I don't work for EA.

Message 7 of 10 (915 Views)

Champion

Bump :D

It would be pretty cool to also see the horse and donkey get a hind / rear leg kick attack lol. 

This'll make sense since it's relatively difficult to maneuver the horse so any enemies sneaking up behind you can get killed without dismounting the horse.

I don't work for EA.

Message 8 of 10 (859 Views)

Champion

Bump again - Donkey please!

I don't work for EA.

Message 9 of 10 (794 Views)

EA DICE Team

Hey @SterlingARCH3R thanks for the feedback for Battlefield 1 Standard smile and we have sent this on the team as feedback/suggestions. 

I personally think its a cool idea and it could some fun experience to the game. There is no need to bump the topic. 

/Atic 

Message 10 of 10 (772 Views)