Force/High Jump mechanics

by felker_s

Original Post

Force/High Jump mechanics

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

So... Since lightsaber combat might be slightly reworked in the future, I was also thinking about the feel of Force Jumps.

My main problem is that it's not at all acrobatic, it feels more like hovering. I get that with the Emperor and Vader, but it feels weird with all the other characters. Both the upward and downward movements feel unnatural and slow (but yes, I know, it's hard to say what's "natural" when it comes to Force Jumps). When we've seen the acrobatic movements of our Jedi heroes in the movies, it always seemed more like a really powerful kickoff from the ground, but after that, gravity did its work, just as it does in real world jumps.

This is even worse with Grievous and Bossk. You can say that all the other characters manipulate their rise and fall through the Force (and that's a stretch), but there's no reason for Grievous and Bossk to levitate.

Some new animations would also be welcome - Jedi Knight series, anyone? Jump animation was dependent on your positioning and movement, and it included flips and simple high jumps.

Message 1 of 2 (410 Views)

Re: Force/High Jump mechanics

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

The whole hanging in the air would be better (for force users) if you could still block, deflecting blaster fire. Force users need to control their decent to an extent otherwise I would have thought you'd have to have them suffer fall damage if they're just going to drop normally.

Grievous imo has a very strange jump and I thought so from day one. He's a big heavy lump I never understood why he floats down so slowly, I could understand he has a powerful leap but when he jumps so vertically he ought to lose momentum at the top of his trajectory and pick up speed coming down as it can't be said he uses the force to control his decent. I don't mind Bossks jump, it's similar to swbf1, I guess that's just the way Trandoshians jump.

If they do rework it to include powerful kick offs and flips, I for one would very much welcome it.

Oh yeah and make Yodas jump just a little bit higher.

Thanks for bringing this up @felker_s 👍

Message 2 of 2 (377 Views)