Fifa 19 gameplay feedback

by meryminotaur42

Original Post

Fifa 19 gameplay feedback

★★★★ Novice

Hi, 

I don't know if developers are looking at this, but the list of issues here are in my opinion the missing link between the arcadish feeling that fifa 19 has and a much more realistic feeling of the game.

At first, I found Fifa 19 to be a breath of fresh air with player movement and physics that have a lot more realistic feel to it.

However, there are some gameplay issues which are sooooo far from realistic football that the first fantastic impression I had has been replaced by a more arcade approach, and these only reveal once you climb up the game difficulty levels. 

Before we dive in, i'll state that I don't play FUT, since I really like the real life structure of the manger career mode with the real competitions and such.

I also haven't mastered timed finishing (also one of the design flaws of the game in my opinion), as well as the skill moves (which keeps me at a relatively low difficulty level, but that is not a set back but a very welcomed challenge).

When getting to the actual gameplay I find this list to make the game a hybrid of arcade and simulation, with tendency towards the arcade:
1. unless you master penalties, the keeper guesses over 90% of the shots right. Even for bad real life penalty kickers, I'd expect the actual goal scoring percentage to be >=70%.

In fact, I have much more chances of scoring when shooting hard towards the center of the goal and trying to score from the rebound. Ridiculous.

2. lob passes - while not a major part of the real life game any more (unlike the previous decade where a vast amount of the premier league goals were lobs from outside the box), these attempts have a such horrible chance of reaching one of my players that I just stopped bothering. I use a good dribbler on the wings, and try to dribble my way towards the box or a ground pass.

3. throw ins. You would imaging this simple technique of tossing the ball to a nearby team mate should result in a similar success ratio as penalty kicks (real life statistics), but it's an almost certain possession loss, unless you take measures like controlling the receiver. This is not a real problem, as you can start changing controlled player and start running around, but come on. This shouldn't be that hard.

4. my team's speed. When the real life fast players start charging forward, there are not many defenders who can outrun them. Here again, as I grow in difficulty levels, the most noticeable change in difficulty is the speed at which my players run. In my career team I have Mbappe, who is probably the world's fastest player today. In my career, he cant' outrun any defender. they are all faster than him. 
However, when I play at the same difficulty against PSG when Mbappe is there, he's much faster than my defenders (as I'd expect) which makes me find creative ways to stop him or he scores.

5. The goal aiming. I can finish a game with 14-16 shots on target (and I try not to kick towards the middle of the goal) while the other team has 2, and I lose 2:1. This can happen in real life to teams with that many shots on target once or twice  a season. not every 3-4 games.

6. cards. real life games include yellow (don't recall watching a game with none of these) and red cards at least every 3-4 games (not necessarily for a specific team, but every 3-4 games a team plays, you should see at least one red card, either direct or 2nd yellow).

7. injuries. the game doesn't have as many injuries as in real life. While I understand that a full season injuries is not included, these are part of the real gameplay and in a usual scenario require a team to replan financially according to injuries. That is also part of the real life simulation I expect. 

I encountered only once a 3 months injury. I expect more. 

I'd expect the difficulty would not be in the reducing the speed of my players, or the kick aiming (well maybe to some extent), but rather in the defenders being smarter about my runs, and the other team passes be more accurate and less predictable, which is the real life case for creative midfielders.

I understand from other reviews I read that the single largest problem of the game is that the win formula is:
1. master timed shots.

2. make all your gameplay revolve around clearing a player for a well timed shot.

3. prevent your opponent from timed shots opportunities. 

This is sufficient for arcade games, not real life simulations.

Please try to address these issues, the game would be rendered much more fun with a real realistic sense to it.

Message 1 of 2 (120 Views)

Re: Fifa 19 gameplay feedback

Community Manager

@meryminotaur42 Thanks for the feedback, I'll see that it gets to the right teams. 

EACade
Message 2 of 2 (103 Views)