Feedback to in-game communication (typing)

by DYSPROssium

Original Post

Feedback to in-game communication (typing)

[ Edited ]

For a game mode such as GA is communication key to victory. However, communication right now is really bad. There is no way to speak to the players in your squad, and the only communication that is available is typing on PC, which is really frustrating to use. Let me explain that. I've added some solutions as well.

• You cannot type in the cutscenes. The amount of "GG" that I have seen in the game is almost 1% of the BF2015. If you are talking to someone and the game ends, the conversation has a huge gap in time. Please allow typing anytime, just as in BF2015.
  • When you die, the UI with the star cards and weapons of the killer is displayed OVER the text. You literally cannot see what you type. You have to wait until the spawn screen before you can type on. You also can't skip the waiting time that is set in place before going to the spawn screen since you are typing.... Please make the text box always the top layer in the UI
  • The "GROUP" type option doesn't do anything. It shows the text to EVERY player. ( More information )
  • There is currently no good to correct typing errors. There is no small bar to show where you type. Also CTRL+<-- doesn't skip words etc. 
  • Small improvement (QoL): Allow group typing on the menu screen.
  • Small improvement (QoL): if you start typing a name of a player and press TAB, auto finish the name.

I don't understand why typing isn't the exact way it was in BF2015. It is very clear that BF2015 system was superior.

Anyone else hopes that (if ever) the squad system is improved, better communication for improved tactical gameplay is added as well?

EDIT: I've added one more point.

Message 1 of 16 (2,934 Views)

Re: Feedback to in-game communication (typing)

Community Manager (retired)

As always thank you for sharing the feedback with us @DYSPROssiumStandard smile

I'm going to forward this to our studio.

/Ataashi

Message 2 of 16 (2,867 Views)

Thanks! @EA_Ataashi

I've got some responses to this post with people agreeing that it could use some improvements, it is here https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefrontTWO/comments/8kspl3/why_is_typing_so_frustrating/

Message 3 of 16 (2,857 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@DYSPROssium

Great! I'll include the Reddit post as well then Standard smile

/Ataashi

Message 4 of 16 (2,848 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@DYSPROssium I like your overall ideas for improvements of the typing communication in this game, however I think allowing players to communicate via voicechat is far more fun and easier to use when you are in battle. There just should be an option for players to allow other players to speak to them and an option to allow other players hearing your voice. In this way the players of this game can isolate themselves from the other players or be more open by allowing the other player's voice and your own voice to be heard in the voice chat. For example, when a dad lets his son play the game he may not want him to speak to other people or hear/learn bad words from others. In this case the options will all be turned off. Another example is when you want to hear other people, but you want to protect your privacy. In this case the option for hearing voices of others will be turned on and the option for allowing your audio to be heard in voice chat will be turned off. The last example is when you want to use tactics to win the game and maybe find some new online friends. In this situation you will have all options turned on.

Further improvements of this communication system can be that only some groups can hear you, for instance your squad that you will deploying with. Be aware while making these improvements that the player always gets the option to turn all elements of this communication system on or off. With this I mean that each individual feature of this system can be turned on or off manually. @EA_Ataashi

Message 5 of 16 (2,731 Views)

Your suggestions make a lot of sense @Julybil

(I didn't want to go over in-game voice chat in the original post, since I thought updating the typing system wouldn't be such a big update)

The developer team has confirmed that there will be a new squad system coming out this summer! I hope they will also improve the communication within your squad with that system. It would be cool if you were placed in a proper squad and can communicate with them if you like. 

The game, however, is a family game, so options for turning of squad talking should be definitely an option. If I wish not to communicate, that should be an option, just as you have stated.

I also want to quickly state, that even if voice communication is added, the typing system on PC still needs work. Gettin real tired from every UI layer placing over the type box.

Message 6 of 16 (2,726 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@DYSPROssium You are right on the UI layer placing over the type box, I find this also annoying. I have noticed this is not the only problem with the in-game typing. I have also experienced that the messages in the top right corner did not fade away after an amount of time and that the new messages did not even pop up. For this reason I sometimes missed an important message. For example, I had one guy asking to me to choose a specific hero, because he had a challenge to complete. However the message did not show up and therefore I had chosen the "wrong" hero. I hope this will also improve.

Talking about the squad system, I would really like to see that EA/Dice do more than only fixing and updating this communication system. I want to feel rewarded for playing in a team with bonuses, achievements and being stronger on the battlefield. Making vehicles capable of having more than one player inside of it will massively improve this experience. This idea of the squad system needs to have a separate topic, because it is not a side note but an important game changing topic. @EA_Ataashi

Message 7 of 16 (2,718 Views)

Hero

@Julybil wrote:

I have also experienced that the messages in the top right corner did not fade away after an amount of time and that the new messages did not even pop up. For this reason I sometimes missed an important message. For example, I had one guy asking to me to choose a specific hero, because he had a challenge to complete. However the message did not show up and therefore I had chosen the "wrong" hero. I hope this will also improve.

I'll bite...

You're aware there are 3 modes of chat, one of which hides the messages, right?  If you're on PC, it's fairly easy to press the "H" key erroneously and mess up chat.

You probably already know - just checking.

If a post helps, please click the XP button, so the poster learns what is helping.

If a post answered your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so others can quickly find what worked.
Message 8 of 16 (2,696 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@DYSPROssium I have also noticed that you cannot see where you are typing when you want to go back in your sentence to alter something, because there is nothing like a line that indicates where you are typing. This is very annoying and unhandy, so we should add this to the list of improvements.

Message 9 of 16 (2,607 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@DYSPROssium In some scenes it is impossible to type (for example the match ending scene) and the typed messages from previous rounds do not carry over to the next. These improvements should also be made part of the list of improvements.

Message 10 of 16 (2,584 Views)