Editor Bug  from the sept 16 patch

by dcom67

Original Post

Editor Bug  from the sept 16 patch

★★ Apprentice

In the last patch you changed the editor Home waypoint for TD to 28 , but the game is still using waypoint 26 as the Home

If you put a Home waypoint from the editor into a new TD Map you will get a black screen until you add a waypoint 26 to the map , at which time it will work ,

I mean why bother changing things for 2 extra waypoints, if you change the game to use the new home of way point 28 now , all of the maps for TD will have to be redone.

As it is now i have to use 2 waypoints to get things to work , the new Home(28) and waypoint 26

Personally i would just put the editor back to what it was.

Message 1 of 28 (4,272 Views)

Re: Editor Bug  from the sept 16 patch

[ Edited ]
Hero

@dcom67 Yea, no idea how that slipped in, but it's clearly a bug in the editor, unrelated to the game itself.

The game never reads waypoints beyond 27, so people just have to put in #28 to satisfy the check on "Home", but the actual Flare, Home and Reinforce points are still 25, 26 and 27 (now indicated as "Flare").

At least no one really ever uses the default reinforce waypoints... it should just be set in the teamtype -_-

It was discussed on Steam too, here:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/18446744073709551615/2841165820082041109/?appid=1213...

Let's hope some people will dig into the editor source code soon to upgrade it, so we'll get a fixed version that way...

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 28 (4,232 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Red Alert seems to be Ok.

I don't know what is wrong, the code  looks ok to me ,but the two waypoints 25 & 26 snuck in there some place

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection/blob/master/CnCTDRAMapEditor/TiberianDaw...

Message 3 of 28 (4,215 Views)

Hero
@dcom67 Bizarre... maybe they fixed it on the code but forgot to include that in the last patch, then.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 28 (4,127 Views)

Hero
@dcom67 I just noticed what's off in that code; they changed the amount of multiplayer starting points from 6 (the internal maximum) to 8 (Red alert's maximum amount).

Not only is the engine unable to handle 8 player multiplayer, but the person who edited this did not account for this shifting all remaining waypoints two spots down... messing up the special waypoints.

Message 5 of 28 (3,942 Views)

★★ Apprentice

What page is that on ?

Message 6 of 28 (3,932 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@dcom67 Protip: use @ to notify people so I can see I got a reply.

It's right in the piece you linked. The error is this line:

var playerWaypoints = Enumerable.Range(0, 8).Select(i => new Waypoint(string.Format("P{0}", i), WaypointFlag.PlayerStart));

That should be a range from 0 that's 6 long, not 8 long.

This is probably caused by them expanding multiplayer to 6 players in the last patch. Someone must have misinterpreted that as "expanding the amount of possible players by 2", rather than "unlocking the real internal maximum of 6", and decided the map editor's amount of start waypoints should also be increased... while that actually already went to the real internal amount of 6.

The bug is not really that they added these two (though that is wrong too, it's not a real issue), but that they didn't compensate for it by taking two off the normal waypoints that follow it, causing the special waypoints at the end to get shifted two spots down.

Message 7 of 28 (3,924 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Nyerguds     Haha that's pretty easy

OK i see what your saying now , and now that you mentioned it, seems to me the editor started out with two less P* way points for TD than RA had,

And yup if they reduced the normal way points by two that would fix it .

I suppose we have seen the last of the patches though.

I checked the file date on that  GamePlugin.cs  it was added on the 10 sept  just six days before the patch, That is the start of the Map Editor code 

I wonder if that guy over on the PPm site could put out a patched version

Message 8 of 28 (3,916 Views)

Hero

@dcom67 wrote:

OK i see what your saying now , and now that you mentioned it, seems to me the editor started out with two less P* way points for TD than RA had,

Yea, C&C's internal maximum is simply 6; so that's the correct amount.

@dcom67 wrote:

I wonder if that guy over on the PPm site could put out a patched version

Yea, I should tell him about this -_-

Message 9 of 28 (3,896 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Nyerguds 

Yea, C&C's internal maximum is simply 6; so that's the correct amount.

Yea, I should tell him about this -_-

Oh never mind  you already did  ..:-)

Message 10 of 28 (3,888 Views)