Re: Do new players have a harder time upgrading?

by brian2cst

Original Post

Do new players have a harder time upgrading?

★★ Apprentice

It seems to me that the drop rate for stickers and all the "improvements" have made it much harder to get stickers for a new player just beginning compared to those who started from the beginning.  It took me nearly a year and a half to get every character but took my brother only a year as he got his legendary characters fairly quickly and I got stuck with trying to get computer scientist for nearly 4 months longer than him after some changes were implemented.  Is there a GW3 coming and this is why there are so many weird things happening now? Such as Rux being her 2 times in Jan. and 4 times in Feb. Just my 2 cents for the moment.

Message 1 of 6 (636 Views)

★★ Guide

I dont know if it got harder upgrading.  If anything, I think it actually got easier for new players to upgrade.  EA/Popcap has made significant changes to lower the RNG after numerous

complaints of characters and stickers being difficult to obtain.  So, if you ask me, No, its not harder.  It actually got easier for new players to upgrade weapons and abilities, leveling up, obtain new characters and accessories.

I dont know about your friend, maybe he just plays a lot more and spend more time compared to your play time. ? 

To be honest, this game is all about grinding.  GW1 was a grind fest and same with GW2, it is just an absolute chore to get up there.  You are not alone.

Keep on grinding.

Message 2 of 6 (628 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Perhaps I should have worded this as "do new players have a harder time getting legendary pieces than those who started two years ago?"  I have noticed that many people complain, myself included, about the drop rate in packs, but when GW2 first came out the drop rate seemed a little higher until you got down to your last couple of pieces.  Upgrading a character takes about 5 to 6 hours for me on average, a few went even faster some slower.  I have them all including legendary upgraded, and all I do now is play for the next 1300 pieces to fill the book.  I have played over 1400 hours and spent 70 million in coins and still need over 1300 pieces.  Estimate another 40 million needed to complete the book.

Message 3 of 6 (610 Views)

★★ Guide

No, the legendary chance has stayed the same if not GONE UP. Yes, this game unfortunately does artificially increase sticker pack chances near all stickers to increase gameplay time. But, not the legendary ones. Good luck with the filling up thing.

Message 4 of 6 (595 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Let do basic math, they're ~8,100 items in sticker collection. Previously it was subdivided into multiple groups with a different price tag, so the probability is much bigger 1/2000 or 1/3000.

And with sticker pack events (extra card, higher probability), just like what we have this week, the probability is improving so easier to get it.

But now, they "simplify" into one group, so your chance is very small: 1/8100  

Math doesn't lie, it's harder to get it today.

Message 5 of 6 (565 Views)

★★★ Guide

@asukojo wrote:

Let do basic math, they're ~8,100 items in sticker collection. Previously it was subdivided into multiple groups with a different price tag, so the probability is much bigger 1/2000 or 1/3000.

And with sticker pack events (extra card, higher probability), just like what we have this week, the probability is improving so easier to get it.

But now, they "simplify" into one group, so your chance is very small: 1/8100  

Math doesn't lie, it's harder to get it today.

He has a point though I want to add a few things. 8100 is a bit over stated, there are CP, RUX, IT, Holiday and a handful of other stickers that are not included in the main packs. (Thus increasing the odds, though how much I do not know.) But, the important thing I think is Legendary stickers, correct? Those do not change odds, but the list is larger now (to include FLF hats and variants). So far, the best estimate is one legendary per 1 million coins spent. So, even if the amount of "junk" has increased by merging packs the total legendary stickers are the same (cheaper now that FLF is no longer 50k) and the odds of finding one is the same. So, overall finding a legendary is the same, even if finding the exact one you want is a bit harder. (It is still cheaper though.)

Message 6 of 6 (526 Views)