Re: Deserting - Out of Bounds Mechanic Change Request

by tat2jon

Original Post

Deserting - Out of Bounds Mechanic Change Request

Champion

It's not uncommon for me to have to ditch a plane that's FUBAR with an enemy tailing me. To make it worse, sometimes it's when I'm just out of bounds.

To me, it would seem to make sense to slow down the countdown timer for the desertion death, if and only if you are running back in bounds.

If you stop or turn around, then the timer should resume the normal countdown pace.

Any thoughts?

If you found this post helpful, please leave XP.
If you disagree, please leave a comment.
Either way, it helps to make the post more informative.

I like game design - from itty bitty bugs to big ideas.
I don't work for EA.

Join us on our Easter Egg hunt.
Message 1 of 5 (547 Views)
Highlighted

★ Pro

know what mean... sometimes your in bounds when your in the air but as soon as you bail,your out

Message 2 of 5 (532 Views)

★★★★ Guide

It's something that would end up being exploited for successfully and constantly coming up behind the other teams uncap...probably. I doubt this is something that would get changed because of this. That and more reward for just bailing from a plane instead of trying to stick with it, lose the enemy, and repair yourself. If you're getting owned, just go down with the ship! The enemy probably earned the kill anyway. Large smile

Message 3 of 5 (460 Views)

Champion

I don't think that the slowdown would be significant enough for players to sneak up behind enemy lines.

It would only be a slow down of the remaining time in the countdown.

The point of the out of bounds death is to punish the player for intentionally going out of bounds.

If you are actively going back in bounds, then the punishment should diminish.

If you found this post helpful, please leave XP.
If you disagree, please leave a comment.
Either way, it helps to make the post more informative.

I like game design - from itty bitty bugs to big ideas.
I don't work for EA.

Join us on our Easter Egg hunt.
Message 4 of 5 (449 Views)

★★ Novice

There are different OOB for Infantry vs planes which is why the play area is so much more when in the air.

When you just hit the OOB area in a plane you are way past what it would be if on the ground, which is why when you bail you are considered Infantry and therefore the OOB changes to the smaller Infantry one.

From my research this is the intended mechanic so as to 1: Increase play area for planes to make them viable and 2: Deter ppl from getting plane rides to paradrop in the opposing team's spawn.  Granted #2 is a bit redundant as  ppl will always find a way to hide just at the border and camp spawn, but the limitations of the OOB mechanic as far as being smaller for infantry than it is for planes and is working as intended.

If you have played BF4 you would probably recognize that it was the same as when you had to bail from a Jet in the bigger maps and end up instantly OOB in your chute.

While yes I am only another player and not anyone with concrete proof, I believe the answer would be the same, just put into better wording.

Message 5 of 5 (443 Views)