Re: Delete Ping

by H8_you_A11

Original Post

Delete Ping

★★★★★ Novice

I was thinking...
Wouldn't it be nice if players did not have the ability to see each others ping.

I can not remember ever seeing anything good come of it.
Well other than being able to Identify a fellow countryman.

I got yelled at today by someone on my own team to GTFO the server because "i'm ruining the game for him."

This is a typical example of things that go down as a result of knowing other peoples ping.

Servers are all public so nothing can be done to make them misrible high pingers more misrible, so not showing other peoples ping might divert the hatred of our young knights in shining armor who believe in truth justice and somthing, elsewhere. 

Message 1 of 4 (505 Views)

Well, yes and no. It would divert attention away from people just trying to play a round with their friends but it would also hide cheaters that are, for example, lag switching. Best just to stick to your region and play with buddies for the best overall experience

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes
Message 2 of 4 (494 Views)

★★ Pro

I would agreee with you, that seeing the ping of other players leads to discussions ingame. However I really don´t want it to be removed as it clarifys certain situations for me. Everytime I get killed behind a corner or I just feel like something was wrong in a situation ingame, I do check the opponents ping. That way you can differantiate a ping related probleme from a problem of the game itself.

I know how annoying the ingame chat can be. For that reason most of the time I deactivate it. You should try that, it can improve your experience by quiet a bit. Wink

Message 3 of 4 (473 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

"Best just to stick to your region"  

Yes this is popular line of thaught.

Have a look at this. Picture
Just took it 6 minutes ago, this is every server active in our country right now.

To be fair we usually have 2 or 3 more active servers but big update released so everyone has to download it.

In order to keep players in their region you need multiple active servers of each game mode at all times.

While some people may be comfortable being limited to 2 game modes and no escape from others who frequent those servers.

When faced with major losses to clan stacking, vehicle hogging and never-ending unbalance on a server I will pick up stick and move to the next server.

When people ask you to leave they do not quite understand what they are asking, they are asking you to not play the game.  

Would you obey this command from some random nobody?  

As for being able to identify cheaters.

In theory yes it can be done, in practice we have everyone eyeballing each others ping looking for reasons why others do not deserve what they are getting. 

This is toxic in itself, and the exact thing I am hoping to reduce. 

The cheaters you need to worry about will make themselves known. 

Just hide chat

Caring about what people say is not in your controll.

And the chat can be a great place to be. 

EDIT:

Oh Oh Oh I forgot

I still think we should be able to see our own pings for problem shooting and stuff.

Message 4 of 4 (426 Views)