Re: Chomper needs a nerf

by spIash_damage

Original Post

Chomper needs a nerf

★★★ Newbie

Every game there is always a chomper and everytime you play against one you get killed.  .   Chomper is a instant kill and his dig ability is OPEN

Message 1 of 7 (737 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I mean OP 

Message 2 of 7 (735 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

All characters are currently balanced in the game. Chompers are actually a weaker class of plant due to their lack of range attacks. 

A great example of this would be the "Lunch Time at the Lab", mystery portal event this month. Its a battle of scientist vs chompers. If they were to allow astronauts to play in the event, there would be no contest because of the astronauts long range ROF & DPS. 

There are certainly players who can play chompers well but often trade vanquish for vanquish. A good counter would be an Engineer or Artic trooper. AT can freeze or freeze then ZPG. Engineer can stun then vanquish. Personally, I like the mechanic for this task. Be weary of maps were chomps can move from cover to cover

If you are on xbox and want some gameplay guidance message me and we can play.

Message 3 of 7 (664 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is a wide variety of specific counters to chomper.  First, you need enough game awareness to know when they're coming.  Spotting icons in this game make this ridiculously easy.  I don't have time to make a lengthy post, so here are some basics.  Any method of getting off of the ground - mobility abilities, parkouring onto something with imp, etc.  Engineer stun.  Warping away twice with scientist if you are unlucky enough to let the chomper get close.  Imp punting against a wall or tackle dummy when they are about to eat you.  This is just for starters.  It may not seem like it, but for an experienced player it is quite easy to counter chompers.

The vast majority of players who use chomper are pretty terrible at it, which helps considerably.   Very few good players choose chomper.  As you improve at the game, you will just find them an annoyance.

Message 4 of 7 (639 Views)

[ Edited ]

I want to add that it is a common misconception that chomper is OP.  It's actually one of the worst classes in the game, perhaps the worst.  Rather, chomper is a broken class and in need of a serious reworking to be a viable character.

Message 5 of 7 (630 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
Well said! Every character can counter but awareness is key.
Message 6 of 7 (622 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@pandareno1999 wrote:

There is a wide variety of specific counters to chomper.  First, you need enough game awareness to know when they're coming.  Spotting icons in this game make this ridiculously easy.  I don't have time to make a lengthy post, so here are some basics.  Any method of getting off of the ground - mobility abilities, parkouring onto something with imp, etc.  Engineer stun.  Warping away twice with scientist if you are unlucky enough to let the chomper get close.  Imp punting against a wall or tackle dummy when they are about to eat you.  This is just for starters.  It may not seem like it, but for an experienced player it is quite easy to counter chompers.

The vast majority of players who use chomper are pretty terrible at it, which helps considerably.   Very few good players choose chomper.  As you improve at the game, you will just find them an annoyance.

This might be the best post I've read on these forums.  Really.  Spot on.

I wish you, Diggler, CC, and a few of the PC'ers could make up an advisory board on the direction mods took this game. 

Well said, buddy.

Message 7 of 7 (613 Views)