Building a deck on top of a deck

by misterNYCmodel

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Building a deck on top of a deck

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hello everyone. I recently purchased Island Living and immediately went straight to work on a beautiful villa for my lovebirds to live in. At the same time, I watched a video on YouTube to get a few good ideas for my build. Well, when it came time to build my deck I tried to construct it in the same way as the builder on YouTube. I began by creating a deck with a pool in it, and then I tried to add the deck just a few inches above the base deck... Needless to say, I ran into a roadblock! Seriously, I adore this particular deck, but I have no clue how to even begin the top section. I've provided a few screenshots below as proof because it's, in fact, possible to do. Please, I'm in desperate need of answers!

Message 1 of 16 (2,796 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Building a deck on top of a deck

Champion

@misterNYCmodel  Awww.... you are so kind!! You have made my day!! Standard smile Heart If you just mark the thread as accepting the solution and provide helpers with "xp" on posts that help that is the way that we get out 'reward' and the way others can find helpful solutions if they have the same issue. Thank you again!! :eahigh_file:

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments

View in thread

Message 7 of 16 (2,736 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Champion

@misterNYCmodel Your home is beautiful! Decks can only be different heights if they don't actually connect. You adjust the foundation separately on each deck by making sure each is traced properly to make it an 'official room' (then you can delete the walls afterward with the wall tool) then highlighting/selecting the room and dragging the 'plumbob' in the center up or down when highlighted. Then you can join them via stairs.

I made a build where I have two decks at different heights, and you are welcome to download and play with that aspect a bit to get a feel for the dynamics. Can you share the video link and the point in the video where the person shows this technique that you are trying to use?  https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/2300886DA06111E989B3D5D7447C5F1D

Message 2 of 16 (2,777 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply, Sheri.

Let me start by correcting myself regarding the deck. It's not a deck on top of a deck. The deck that is featured in the pic is actually a few inches above the pool and covers the outer parameters, making the pool below accessible in its entirety without barriers piercing through it. Basically, it's floating above. I will try to cut/paste the link to the video.

Message 3 of 16 (2,761 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Here's the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=54bsyQR2ASI

The process starts at 1:10

Message 4 of 16 (2,758 Views)

Champion

@misterNYCmodel Okay... This is my imperfect, unpolished, and trial-and-error method of creating what I hope is similar enough for the results you are looking for? Even if the techniques and results vary in any manners from the builder you are viewing on the video, at least this may help you be inspired or have some ideas to achieve what you're looking for. Anyway, I hope it helps. Please feel free to clarify/question about any of the areas of the video.

A few points that I would like to note:

• The 'deck' that overlaps a bit over top of the pool did not have any foundation under it, so I assumed it was made as a 2nd floor 'room' that had the 'terrain height' adjusted via the plumbob in the middle of the room. This may or may not have been the case for the builder, but it worked well enough for me.
  • Via this method I did find that in order to connect the deck to the home I need to drag with the room tool to create a connection to the home (from the deck). Alternately you could connect the deck to the home via stairs.

Good luck!  https://youtu.be/35qWtHHO1qU

Message 5 of 16 (2,741 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Sheri,

I want to thank you for your help! Your advice has helped me to finally finish my beach house! Is there a gold badge and an honor ceremony to reward you because you darn sure deserve it! I'm forever grateful to you for your compassion and for your swift assistance! 😊

Message 6 of 16 (2,738 Views)

Champion

@misterNYCmodel  Awww.... you are so kind!! You have made my day!! Standard smile Heart If you just mark the thread as accepting the solution and provide helpers with "xp" on posts that help that is the way that we get out 'reward' and the way others can find helpful solutions if they have the same issue. Thank you again!! :eahigh_file:

Message 7 of 16 (2,737 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Of course! You got it! 🙂

Message 8 of 16 (2,726 Views)

Lowering my deck seems impossible on console!

★★★★ Novice

I posted recently and I just got around to my first attempt. Needless to say, I'm still having trouble! I mentioned before that I was trying to place a large deck overtop my pool. I followed her instructions to a T, but no luck, and I have been at it all day! Seems that when I lower the foundation (which is elevated, btw), it pulls the entire house down with it and leaves a humongous hole in the terrain! I forgot to mention that I'm playing Sims 4 on console. So my question is, does the heightening process for PC differ from the console version? I'm guessing so because she clicked the area that she wanted to lower, and pulls it down without interfering with the rest of the build.

Message 9 of 16 (2,706 Views)

Re: Lowering my deck seems impossible on console!

Champion (Retired)

@misterNYCmodel 

As mentioned before the foundation applies to the entire building. You can have a different foundation height on another building. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 10 of 16 (2,692 Views)