Bug Collection for CNCRemastered Editor

by CNCJack_TD

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Bug Collection for CNCRemastered Editor

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Dear Developers,

first thank you for the new patch and all the things it fixed so far. However, i really hope that the Map Editor has not been dropped from you priority list, since modding and mapping has kept this game alive for  long time. 

For now i want to use this thread to collect all Bugs that are known so far, so you can get a better overview about the current problems. Any Input is welcome.

Here are my Observations (Bugs):

1. CNCRemastered Mapeditor resets counter of Trigger Event "Time" in Tiberian Dawn-Mode to zero, when a map is reopened. ***Update*** It actually seems to work. The number you can enter directly next to Time-Event is not relevant for the trigger. It has to be put in the Data line. No bug, but very missleading presentation.

2. In rare cases  the Editor for RA Remastered produces corrupt Create-Team-Triggers, that will crash the game. I could not reproduce this, but i safed the map that is infected with this bug. For some unknown reason The editor adds an adtional -1 Value to the triggerscript, which will cause the crash. (I compared that with identical Trigger from another map in a text editor to find that out - but they look the same in the Editor, no difference).

3. *******FIXED****** There is currently no way to setup a working Tech/Buildlevel or IQ-Levels for custom SP/campaign missions. 

4. If creating singleplayer maps, the map editor should safe up automatically 2 rows of space in each direction, to prevent crashing if not doing so if using reinforcment triggers for Naval Units (tested in Red Alert Remastered). Instead of offering a 126x126 (has already one row free space) of maximum space it should be 124x124 for singleplayer.

5. The Scrollmenue for Units/Structures/infantry and other stuff  is automatically scrolling down in insane speed if i mouse over the lowest entry in the list. This should not happen.

6. Colorchange: On the map editor, other players have other colors (silver, green, yellow and so on). But ingame singleplayer they seem to go back to red and blue in RA (not sure if this is a bug or a helper)

7. Some entries in the Editor could use some better explanation. For example TeamType Actions Dothis/Attack require a number for different behaviours. It is not clear, what those number do, unless you google for a complete RA Scripting Tutorial.

8. ****Obsolete and explained by Nyerguds******  Waypoints in TD-Mode limited up to 24 (+Home/Flare/Reinf). In older C&C TD Editors i was able to use more waypoints - but i am not sure if that worked. However: Units get often stuck in TD wenn they have to cross bridges or rivers. So its usefull to have multiple Waypointpathes for A to B and then B to A back instead of using the same WP-Route reversed - to avoid colissions of patrouling units. Can become really annoying, otherwhise. Waypoints are simply limited to 0-27.

9. **** Explained by Nyerguds **** -----> still leaves the question open, if we can get an option for custom Campaigns to work around this problem.

Missmatching Tilesets between Remastered and Original. It happens that some weird Tilesets apear where they have not been placed (Riverparts in the middle of nowhere, or missing cliffs). If you switch between Original and Remastered one of the versions has sometimes those visual errors. They are NOT random. They seem to be hard baked into the map. Have multiple examples of custom maps, where this shows up and they can not be corrected with the Mapeditor (it shows allright in the Editor so its ingame problem).

This happens mainly in C&C TD when replacing original missions and loading them via the usual campaign mode. Opening them in Custom map Mode and the errors are gone.

Still it is weird, becaus those errors only appear in Remastered-Graphics and not in the old graphics. See this Videolink for demonstration.

10. Destroyed-Trigger. Unsure if this due a bug of saving wrong information in some cases or a general problem. But the Kill X of the TriggerBuildings and get Airstrike after does not work in C&C Remastered Editor. I always get Airstrike if i just killed one AntiAir-Defense instead of all. Comparing the Codes in Texteditor, there was an entry missing.

Original campaign: AIR2=Destroyed,Airstrike,0,None,None,1

Editor Trigger:        AIR2=Destroyed,Airstrike,0,None, ,1 (None is missing)

In the Editor, both triggers look exactly the same. I noticed this behaviour with other triggers aswell. <None> is missing in many triggers just leaving empty space between <, ,>. Often is has no negative impact but still this should be fixed.

So the editor ist not writing this as intented and therefore the trigger fails to work. May be it is just like the problem as mentioned in Bug 2 and happens sometimes...but it was the only way again to repair my map - texteditor. I was not able to set this trigger up with C&C Remastered Editor. Interessting: Once changed in the Texteditor, the Remastered Editor DOES NOT overwrite the corrected passage. It stays correct after that.....Sometimes this bug does not happen at all....not sure what causes it.

11. Set Global Values in RA higher than 29 are ignored by triggers. I had to check this until i hit the maximum limit. However you can enter whatever you want for those Values - should not be allowed or you never know why your trigger will not work.

Hope them to get fixed, especially Number 1 and Number 3 and 9.

12. The small River-Bridges in RA Remastered allow up to 4 Units next to each other - it should be only 2. They can simply ignore the bridge and drive over the river which looks strange and was never the case in the original. This happens in Custom maps played in Custom Mode. The small bridges also looks totally glitched and weird when swapping back to RA-Classic-Graphics.

https://youtu.be/DLj5hSUcvyA

13. I can not open any maps in Custom mode, if i put them into a subdirectory of Local_Custom-Maps. Should be changed cause with a growing number of maps, the main directory is going to be very cluttered.

14. Buildings should be able to be flagged as repairable. Currently this is not included. 

000=GoodGuy,apwr,256,657,0,None,0,0

We should be able to mark a building as repairable, like so

000=GoodGuy,apwr,256,657,0,None,0,1

15. Using the Trigger for Text IDs will Crash the editor.

As well on RA maps when setting a Trigger Action "Text Trigger (ID Num) it creates an Out Bounds Error ,because there is no ID Num 0

16. You can have only one dog created by the AI - it waits until it is destroyed before producing other ones. (need to confirm this by testing)

17. If a playerbuilding has an entry for Base=X, it will be safed as a building of the opposite faction. (not sure if this is a bug, since player building do not need that option)

Greetings

CNCJack_TD

Message 1 of 16 (6,368 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Bug Collection for CNCRemastered Editor

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Gah it lost my entry.

Yes i made an RA map that has naval reinforcement units coming from west, east, and the north sides of the map , no problems

I have also made several TD maps with no problems , except for the neutral faction , seems as though neutral cannot produce or reinforce.

I surround all of my maps with the 1 x1 water tile except where i need land units to arrive . On the RA maps i also set a waypoint on the Outside of your map set of tiles , where the units will arrive from , and enter that into the Team Types Waypoint Line Entry ,if you don't do this the reinforcements don't work properly

Definetly the TechLevel & IQ  not at least saving to the MPR file is a problem . We cannot seem to publish maps to steam unless they use the default Build levels.

I wasn't the one that found the dog issue ,another fellow on the steam forums found it and i tested it as well . Unless there is some secret to spawning the dogs ,only 1 will be produced, unitl that one is killed. 

View in thread

Message 10 of 16 (5,878 Views)

All Replies

★ Pro
@CNCJack_TD
I have got to say, the two videos you posted there, are both funny. I've not seen these bugs myself yet, but I'll be keeping an eye out for them now. As for the Triggers Problem, I'll advise that you always check the Code after the Map has been built.

I recommend building the Map in a different Editor, and then loading it in the Remastered Editor, and saving it again using the Remastered Editor. After this, I advise using something like Notepad++ to check over the code for any errors or bits that require manual coding rather than in-editor functions, such as editing Unit Type Properties (like changing how much it costs to make a building). The map is in INI Format, so make sure your Text Editor knows this (as this can make spotting errors easier).
Message 2 of 16 (6,228 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@GeneralZool: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CSRxafPuhegHmCPlCQ5TERco3Bx6-Z_4/view?usp=sharing Here are those two Missions in a ZIP-File.

Would be interessting to see if the mistakes happen for you too - just in case you are curious about it.

The SCG04ea.Ini/bin/tga/json was meant to replace the original Mission as part of an alternate campaign. If put in the original directory cncdata/data/Tiberian Dawn/Cd1 then it looks glitched.

If used as a simple custom map in Local Custom map, everything will be fine.

The RaMAP has the glitchy bridgepart. Its walkable area is too wide and looks wrong in original/classic graphics mode.

Greetings

CNCJack_TD

Message 3 of 16 (6,209 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@CNCJack_TD 

#8: I can confirm waypoints beyond 27 never worked in the original game. In fact, internally, the waypoints 0-25 are actually waypoints A-Z; hence the trigger "DZ at 'Z'"; dropzone at waypoint 25. So it's just those from 0-25, plus the start position, 26, and the default drop zone, 27.

The internal list never saved more than those.

#9: This is normal. Campaign missions are more than just a .ini and a .bin; they have an additional file to make small graphics fixes to the map, since Westwood often connected tiles in not-quite-correct ways. You'll have to dig into the remaster .meg files and see how that system works.

#10: this is a bug in the teamtypes selection on triggers. If the teamtype is missing, the rest of the line is not read, and the Loop status at the end is ignored. The workaround is to specifically open the teamtypes dropdown in the trigger editor and select the "None" item in it.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 4 of 16 (6,176 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

So i supsected that already, that something overwrites/Adds stuff to the map... but why are there only adjustments to the Remastered optics and the Classic game looks 100% fine....does not make much sense to me. Seems to be very unnecessary since the optics match 1:1 in custom game mode. Well, there is a reason for sure...somewhere. I simply tried to make an alternate campaign for the game that also gives you freedom to select the next missions on the europe/africa map. Therefore i wanted to replace those missions. I did so back 20 years ago and had no such problems. So its a special thing just with the remastered version, it seems.

Thanks for your input, Nyerguds.

Message 5 of 16 (6,146 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@CNCJack_TD wrote:

So i supsected that already, that something overwrites/Adds stuff to the map... but why are there only adjustments to the Remastered optics and the Classic game looks 100% fine....does not make much sense to me.

Isn't it obvious? Because fitting together 128x128 blocks to fit perfectly is a lot harder than fitting 24x24 blocks together. A lot of the connections made in these cliffs and roads are not the exact intended connections according to how the tiles were made, but since 24x24 is pretty low-res such things don't look like obvious errors. But in high res you can much more easily see that the textures weren't made to fit together, and they cause obvious visible lines to appear at these points. So it needs manual tweaks to smooth over such errors.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 6 of 16 (6,115 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I will further explain.

1.  The two boxes that appear in TD triggers beside the Event and Action , do nothing but misinform the user , All data Must be entered into the Data box

10. On a TD Map using the triggers menu, if the TeamType is listed as None, It must be reselected as None , or else in the INI file "None" will be missing

2. I think this happens when you remove a trigger that is in the middle of them. it seems to bug up one or two other triggers

3. IN Red Alert Maps there is no way to set up the TechLevel/IQ

4.I had no problems with reinforcements in TD or RA with only the one Tile border

Also on RA maps their currently is no way to mark a building as repairable , this is what it spits out

000=GoodGuy,apwr,256,657,0,None,0,0

We should be able to mark a building as repairable, like so

000=GoodGuy,apwr,256,657,0,None,0,1

As well on RA maps when setting a Trigger Action "Text Trigger (ID Num) it creates an Out Bounds Error ,because there is no ID Num 0

As well on RA maps ,it seems as though you can only have 1 dog , it wont build more unless the one dog dies.

Message 7 of 16 (5,990 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Thx, for your input. 14) and 15) has been added to the list. Problem 4. still remains for me - did you test it wirth Naval units in RA? Other Unit Types including in TD working fine. The trigger for that was not safed in a wrong way. I remember pretty sure that it was possible to setup the Techlevel for RA Maps in the original Version. Using older Editors that still work in Windows 10 offer that option aswell. That makes me wonder, if something has been skipped. 

Message 8 of 16 (5,948 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Yes i made an RA map with one tile border that has naval units coming in as reinforcements from both the west and east  and north sides of the map ,and had no problems.

I have made several TD maps with one tile borders and don't have any issues with reinforcements either. (Except for the neutral faction ,seems they can not be reinforced or produce anything)

I tend to surround my maps with the 1x1 water tile except where i need land units to arrive , also on the RA maps i put a way point on the outside set of tiles ,and put that into the teamtype Waypoint Line Entry

(reinforcements wont work properly if you don't do this, they need a waypoint outside of the map so they know where to arrive from)

It wouldn`t be a big problem if the editor didn't remove the TechLevel and IQ we add to the MPR file. But it does , While it wont remove other things we put into the file. So unless you need a default tech level map , you cant seem to  publish it to steam.

I wasn't the only one that could only make the one dog, another fellow on the steam workshop actually found the problem.

Message 9 of 16 (5,859 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Gah it lost my entry.

Yes i made an RA map that has naval reinforcement units coming from west, east, and the north sides of the map , no problems

I have also made several TD maps with no problems , except for the neutral faction , seems as though neutral cannot produce or reinforce.

I surround all of my maps with the 1 x1 water tile except where i need land units to arrive . On the RA maps i also set a waypoint on the Outside of your map set of tiles , where the units will arrive from , and enter that into the Team Types Waypoint Line Entry ,if you don't do this the reinforcements don't work properly

Definetly the TechLevel & IQ  not at least saving to the MPR file is a problem . We cannot seem to publish maps to steam unless they use the default Build levels.

I wasn't the one that found the dog issue ,another fellow on the steam forums found it and i tested it as well . Unless there is some secret to spawning the dogs ,only 1 will be produced, unitl that one is killed. 

Message 10 of 16 (5,879 Views)