Battlefront 2 Flight Stick

by WampaStompedYa

Original Post

Re: Battlefront 2 Flight Stick

★ Novice

Same here, I have and old but functional sidewinder Force feedback tat is useless with Battlefield 1 an Star Wars.

Message 51 of 60 (4,462 Views)

★★ Novice
Same here, I just had a chat with support.
Hope they will add support for joystick.
Message 52 of 60 (4,021 Views)

★★ Novice

Pretty much agree with all the previous...I just bought this game *assuming* you can fly using a *FLIGHT* stick. Clue is kinda in the name...

This is the first game I have ever played where you can't - oh and it is the most expensive game I've bought recently...

Sufficed to say, I'll be asking for a refund and returning the game. What a load of rubbish....It would have been awesome to fly the startfighters using a stick, but you just don't get the same experience clicking about with a mouse or using a crappy console gamepad.

Bah. Useless EA Product Manager who made this decision should be fired. What a load of lost revenue for EA...

Message 53 of 60 (3,813 Views)

★ Novice

100% agree with the above. Adding stick support is not difficult as a developer. It's literally an abstraction which must already be in place to support both kb/m and controller. Pretty sad.

Message 54 of 60 (3,668 Views)

★ Novice

I found a wonderful workaround, no thanks to EA. Make no mistake this is not easy or "supported" in any way.

BF2 has gamepad / controller support. Unfortunately my HOTAS (Logitech x56) does not support mapping to controller presses, only keyboard and mouse.

I found this tutorial for Ace Combat 7 for mapping the HOTAS to a virtual xbox controller. This emulates the output to a controller, which will give you analog input (rather than trying to map your stick to mouse input or something crazy).

Be warned: There are a few finicky things. Thank goodness there are some in-game controller settings to fix most of it.

In your HOTAS settings:

- (image attached) make sure your roll axis has a significant curve. You need this, because the roll "deadzone" in this game causes roll not to kick in until like the 75% mark on the controller's analog stick. "Deadzone" in quotes because this is even with stick deadzones set to 0.

In BF2 settings:

- turn on advanced flight. otherwise they constantly reorient your ship for some kind of training wheels experience.

- set stick deadzone to 0%. You're probably already controlling deadzones with your HOTAS software.

- (subjective maybe?) set starfighter response curve to 0%. I believe this makes your input linear, which you probably want. You probably already edit curves in your HOTAS software.

Software / driver setup instructions:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1644325268

Message 55 of 60 (3,654 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@MrLockertsen Yes, I played X-wing, Tiefighter, X-Wing vs Tiefighter, all back in the 90s with Thrustmaster joystick, and it was great. It's quite pathetic that after 30 years of technological advancment we no longer have any joystick support AT ALL! I bought BF1 only to discover I had to use the mouse! They're not getting my money for BF2, even though it's now 2020 and only costs a tenner now!
Message 56 of 60 (3,399 Views)

★★ Novice

Update: there IS a way to do this! Since i wrote this i managed to make it work pretty well by usibg an xbox controller emulator to map the flightstick control inputs to xbox controller inputs, which the game recognises! There is a walkthrough online but you have to experiment to get the mappings and sensitivity levels right. Mine works great now! 

Message 57 of 60 (3,230 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I found the simple answer on why there are no compatibility for this and will never be, they are launching their new game Star Wars Squadrons, so why doing competition inside their own projects... So they are killing gameplay because of new products, which is complete *. If a Game developper is seeing my response, please read carefully " You should not prioritize products over User Experience". Remember all the fuss about Battlefront 1 and the Season Pass, don't do the same mistake.............

Message 58 of 60 (3,195 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi Daralathas,

I am having similar problems connecting the joystick and/or controller.

I was wondering if you could share the link again to the original post:

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/comment/847844/#Comment_847844

The EA forums have changed and all the links don't connect.

Thanks

Message 59 of 60 (2,943 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Wow, I can't believe a game that has the space combat stuff that this one does doesn't properly support HOTAS.  That's pretty bad.

I guess in fairness the space combat portion of the game is just a portion of the overall game, which also includes a lot of FPS elements and that sort of thing.  Perhaps they didn't add HOTAS because this isn't a dedicated spaceflight sim like Elite Dangerous or Star Wars: Squadrons?

Regardless, I'm kinda sad about it.  I probably would have liked playing this with my new T16000M Thrustmaster flight pack HOTAS device.

Message 60 of 60 (1,906 Views)