Battlefront 2 Flight Stick

by WampaStompedYa

Original Post

Re: Battlefront 2 Flight Stick

★★★★★ Newbie
Is it really that difficult to add support for this in gamd? I get that its a small group that uses Hotas but it seems like it would be super easy to add
Message 31 of 60 (3,927 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Don't you think that if it was "super easy" it would have been added right away? Or do you work as a dev and know how it's done?
There are very different mechanics in play whether you play with a mouse/kb, a gamepad or a stick.

The old space sims (X-wing, Tiefighter, X-Wing vs Tiefighter, X-wing Alliance) all required a joystick to play. It was hella fun, and I still play them with my 20 years old MS Sidewinder pro stick, but it was definitely a problem for Lucasarts that they released a game that required a quite expensive peripheral  in order to play. 

It's all about making the game accessible. 

And - don't get me wrong - I want HOTAS-support too! - But as a dev I know that things aren't so easy. 

Message 32 of 60 (3,916 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I use a T Flight Hotas X on my PC and it works flawlessly. But be aware that there are some issues regarding joystick and mouse inputs. I created a bug report for that matter, but it seems I'm the only one who cares about this (that, or my english is so bad nobody understands what the bug is about).

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/PC-Starfighter-controls-can-t-go-back-from-mouse-to-controller...

For now, i just unplug the mouse after chosing my fighter (an then plug in again when I die). Its somewat anoying but at least i can be sure controls won't go mad in the middle of a dogfight.

Message 33 of 60 (3,884 Views)

★★★ Novice

I spoke to someone at EA about this on the phone and was informed they knew nothing about this issue...well they know now

Message 34 of 60 (3,805 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I played XW vs TIE Fighter extensively back in the 90s, was one of the people originally lobbying Toally Games to make a head to head version. Joystick are essential to enjoying this type of flight sim, the flight in games like SWTOR is a joke.

What is even more ironic, is this is Origin, the creators of Wing Commander, the other great 90s space flight sim game series.

How *the ** do you not think to put in joystick support?

Message 35 of 60 (3,762 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I thought with all the flak that EA and DICE got with Battlefield1 lacking joystick support from launch (but what was cool was the xbox 360 controller emulator could be used to map a joystick to the 360 controller and control sensitivity etc) 

But no. BF 2 2017 might have it but then I'll be experimenting with 3rd party software to something that should be done normally. 

Customer: "How can we test drive when there's no steering wheel." 

Honda Dealer:  "The cars are automated, this one doesn't need one. 5th stage AI" 

TV @ Honda dealer: "Latest news after the 50th cause of death due to accident, the investigators have had definitive evidence. Now a massive recall has been issued. The--"

Honda sales rep #4: "Krachinzky! Where's the remote!!" 

Mechanic turns off the TV. 

Customer: "Uh what if I want to drive my own car? Can you install a steering wheel? Looks like pedals are missing too."

Honda Dealer: "Well you can connect your smart phone to blue tooth and drive your car by swiping. See!" 

Customer quickly gets out.

Honda  Dealer: "Ok its connected, and  . . . hit the go button. Engine start. Swipe left to turn left and right to turn right. Swipe forward to step on the gas pedal . . ."

Car accelerates and bull in china shops half the new cars on the way out. 

When people forget basics, you're gonna have a bad time. 

Forget basics of your job. Low performance.

Forget basics like sleep, eating, place to crash to sleep without issues, personal hygiene. Quality of life sucks

Doctor  forgets basics of medicine. Someone dies.

Forget basics of a video game. Bad Reviews and woulda coulda shoulda  if it had x, y, or z, game of the year man .. . 

This is a great game but missing stuff and focusing on game basics (like that lego starwars game of last year that was fun). TIE vs Xwing or Rogue Squadron, that was cool, had good game play, good CONTROLS. KNights of the Old  Republic = compelling story. Jedi Knight Series / Force Unleashed -> FPS goodness and good application of force powers in a FPS environment.

EA / DICE take page from the great games of old . Build on the shoulders of great games. Master the basics, make it fun, MTX if you have to for cosmetic stuff, or early release cuzz reality is gotta pay for the future expansions etc . . .

So here's another vote for joystick support on PC side. I do know the mouse aiming, but that works best with the advanced flying turned off. Then you have a person using a xbox controller with it customized, and then they do loops and barrel rolls and pwn you while you can only point and turn. 

A Joystick is more intuitive. Hurry up and get the basics of the game. 

Message 36 of 60 (3,679 Views)

★★★ Newbie

+ 1 for Joystick support. Defo. Given the legacy of great Star Wars games such as X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance, EA and DICE just need to add it. I am sure this would produce an additional player-surge and extra cult for these technically well-done Battlefront Games.

Message 37 of 60 (3,607 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hey chaps, good news.

I solved my problems by mapping the joystick axes to the only supported xbox controller the game expects following these instructions;

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/comment/847844/#Comment_847844

I have been playing since the 1.05 patch... and have now earned my rightful MVPs whereas before i was solidly mid table with the joystick issues.

Stay on target!

Message 38 of 60 (3,593 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I know these are all PC requests but since Thrustmaster released the HOTAS One for XB1, it would be nice to see some support added for that as well.  Thrustmaster doesn't seem to be making a lot of them at the moment since the only game that is supported is Elite: Dangerous but if BF2 started offering HOTAS support it could be a win/win.  PS4 already has their own HOTAS so it shouldn't be overly difficult to offer one solution that covers both consoles.

Message 39 of 60 (3,567 Views)

★ Novice
Would definitely love that too, just got the HOTAS One for ED but I'd love to use it on Battlefront 2 too.
Message 40 of 60 (3,374 Views)