Re: Automatic goals

by SteelCityK1D

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Automatic goals

★★★★ Novice

Product: NHL 20
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? One team pulls their goalie, the other team steals the puck and begins a breakout. The team with the puck enters the offensive zone that has an empty net. The defending team trips the player with the puck from behind before they can get a shot off.
What happens when the bug occurs? A 2 minute minor penalty is called. A face off is held in the offensive zone with the goalie returning to his net.
What do you expect to see? Automatic goal awarded
Was the issue in online or offline mode? Online
Insert Game Mode or Feature here Online versus
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM)
What is your time zone? IST - GMT + 5:30
What is your gamertag/PSN ID? SteelCityK1D
PS4 Crash Reporting: Please copy the text you put in the crash report here.
EASHL issues? Please insert your Club Region.
What is your game language? English

In the NHL if a player is tripped from behind during a break away on an empty net it is an automatic goal.

Message 1 of 8 (1,059 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

It's up the ref's discretion but, having been on both ends of this, I certainly don't agree with that first call -- While Ehlers is definitely a beast, he was in a position where that wasn't guaranteed. I can see Jumbo Joe's only because he was tripped from the back (though the two other players near them seem iffy unless there is some old rule I'm missing).

In any case, not only are these situations rare, the last thing anyone should want is an AI determining more discretion goals/[enalties (just look how bad they are on kick-ins, high sticks, and interference), and I'm sure it would be a nightmare to code. I don't think it is a high priority issue, but I agree it could be classed as an exploit; hopefully the team can look further into it.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Don't be sad, this is just how it works out sometimes

View in thread

Message 8 of 8 (772 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

It depends on if the ref would have called a penalty shot. PS means an automatic goal should be awarded but there are still lots of way a defender can trip a player infront of them and still get a minor tripping penalty (in which the faceoff with the goalie returning makes sense).

Do you happen to have a video?

Message 2 of 8 (1,030 Views)

★★★★ Novice

For context here are some automatic goal calls made by nhl officials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SjUGDzfZlk

Message 3 of 8 (866 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Here is a clip where I get tripped from behind in the neutral zone, the result is I have a penalty instead of a penalty shot that I should have been given. I had this happen to me a few times (never captured video clip) where the other player had an empty net and the result was the same penalty, no penalty shot, and no awarded goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXk52TvseF0

Message 4 of 8 (863 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Here is a case where I get tripped with an empty net while crossing over the last defender in the offensive zone. My issue with this situation is that there are no consequences (particularly when playing a close game against a good player), it encourages players to flop knowing that they would rather have to kill off a penalty than give up a goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCCjFY_ys70

Message 5 of 8 (862 Views)

[ Edited ]

@SteelCityK1D 

For the first goal, I'm fairly sure penalty shots and automatic goals aren't awarded from the neutral zone.

As for the second video, Ovi was between you and the net (and your teammate was also there), so that's why a regular penalty was handed out

Message 6 of 8 (826 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Did you watch the NHL clip video I referenced too? It feels like a cop out.

https://www.nhl.com/video/ehlers-earns-hatty-in-unusual-way/t-282472998/c-64153703

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/video/thorntons-empty-netter/t-277752844/c-45830703

I really wish I had saved the video to show you the play that really irritated me and led me to start this bug report thread. I had recieved the puck and was on a breakaway similar to the Crosby trip, I had just crossed over the blue line with a chance at the empty net and the guy did a dive and waved his stick tripping my player. I was awarded a penalty shot instead of a goal, then the guy did a flying poke check on my penalty shot, tripping my player and negating my chance at a shot. Back to the point I made before, I feel like it is exploited by good players to trip people knowing that there is no consequence they will give up a goal and therefore encourages the behavior.

Message 7 of 8 (792 Views)

[ Edited ]

It's up the ref's discretion but, having been on both ends of this, I certainly don't agree with that first call -- While Ehlers is definitely a beast, he was in a position where that wasn't guaranteed. I can see Jumbo Joe's only because he was tripped from the back (though the two other players near them seem iffy unless there is some old rule I'm missing).

In any case, not only are these situations rare, the last thing anyone should want is an AI determining more discretion goals/[enalties (just look how bad they are on kick-ins, high sticks, and interference), and I'm sure it would be a nightmare to code. I don't think it is a high priority issue, but I agree it could be classed as an exploit; hopefully the team can look further into it.

Message 8 of 8 (773 Views)