Re: Advice needed guys

by xMaksuss

Original Post

Advice needed guys

★★★ Apprentice

Okay I missed the memo on the mammoth and avatar. What are good counters please. I get destroyed everytime they get pulled out. And yes I know the first thing is to keep them from being able to build them by destroying their economy. But when that doesn't work, what next?

Message 1 of 8 (438 Views)

★ Guide

Then get on your hands and knees and pray your little life away. That’s your best hope.

Message 2 of 8 (422 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

As soon as you spot that they have double harv you ALWAYS do 2 things: 1. charge the missle, 2. build up your own eco. You build up eco by destroying their harvesters, building only cheap units and not wasting money or going double harv yourself.

If stopping their eco didn't work and if you have tech units yourself, also go double harv.

If you don't have tech, your mission is now to launch nukes as fast as possible. First one should be easy, but second one will be hard. If you loose this one, third one is most likely also lost.

If they already have mammoth/avatar on the field, the only real counter to them are anti-vehicle air-units like banshees and orcas. But mass tanks can also be a solution. If you have heavy anti-vehicle infantry like marauders or grenadiers they can also work in masses, but be carefull not to be run over.

If removing the avatar/mammoth simply doesn't work, ignore the pad the unit is on and focus on capturing the other one/s. If it's a 3-pad map, you need to get the other 2. If its a 2-pad map, get control of the first one and send multiple units at once on the pad with the mammoth/avatar.

As a last attempt you can gain total control of 1 pad and then send air units to all other pads. These units can be anything, as long as they can charge the missle long enough for it to go off. Laserdrones and hammerhead are excellent for this - laserdrones are cheap and you can spam them and the hammerhead is very beefy.

If you run into these units often take basilisk or kodiac with you - avatars and mammoths just HATE those units. But protect them against potential anti-air.

That's all the tips I can give. Maybe praying might work, not sure about that one though.

Message 3 of 8 (417 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Tstillman24 wrote:

Then get on your hands and knees and pray your little life away. That’s your best hope.

Lmao seriously starting to feel like that is all I can do!

Message 4 of 8 (394 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@xMaksuss wrote:

As soon as you spot that they have double harv you ALWAYS do 2 things: 1. charge the missle, 2. build up your own eco. You build up eco by destroying their harvesters, building only cheap units and not wasting money or going double harv yourself.

If stopping their eco didn't work and if you have tech units yourself, also go double harv.

If you don't have tech, your mission is now to launch nukes as fast as possible. First one should be easy, but second one will be hard. If you loose this one, third one is most likely also lost.

If they already have mammoth/avatar on the field, the only real counter to them are anti-vehicle air-units like banshees and orcas. But mass tanks can also be a solution. If you have heavy anti-vehicle infantry like marauders or grenadiers they can also work in masses, but be carefull not to be run over.

If removing the avatar/mammoth simply doesn't work, ignore the pad the unit is on and focus on capturing the other one/s. If it's a 3-pad map, you need to get the other 2. If its a 2-pad map, get control of the first one and send multiple units at once on the pad with the mammoth/avatar.

As a last attempt you can gain total control of 1 pad and then send air units to all other pads. These units can be anything, as long as they can charge the missle long enough for it to go off. Laserdrones and hammerhead are excellent for this - laserdrones are cheap and you can spam them and the hammerhead is very beefy.

If you run into these units often take basilisk or kodiac with you - avatars and mammoths just HATE those units. But protect them against potential anti-air.

That's all the tips I can give. Maybe praying might work, not sure about that one though.

Maybe I need to give up a tech for one more air. I usually have talon/banshee because they are versatile but not nearly powerful enough to take out those dudes. 

Message 5 of 8 (390 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I go with the pray and wish method also. 

No all jokes aside, as soon as you see Double Harvesters, you have to assume that they are working toward unstoppable Tech. And like was mentioned earlier, you have to super multitask. 

I call it the PAC 10 method. 

P - Pressure the Harvesters 

A - Attack the base

C - Control the pads

Why all of this? To distract your opponent. If he/she has to concentrate on defending his base... he’s spending money. If he/she has to defend the Harvesters, he’s spending money. If he/she has to try to take the pads, he’s spending money. So this will keep your opponent from getting up to that 240 to get the big dogs out. 

When I’m NOD, I’ll try to pressure the Harvesters with Scarabs and/or Laser Troops. I’ll sneak a nice little Seth in to attack the base. And I’ll try to control the pads with Scarabs. Laser Troops/Banshees are good pad control also. 

If if I actually make it to Tech then Widowmakers for pad control and Flame Tanks for base attacking. 

Message 6 of 8 (382 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@emandab98 whats your deck?

Message 7 of 8 (381 Views)

★ Guide

Orca is the best for avatars, also when you see one assume it's going for harvesters first then your base so you can slow them down a lot on the right maps by tile blocking their way. 

Either option go for air units which makes gdi stronger vs them unless you're running an inferno deck. But I personally use giga cannons and stealth tanks to good effect. The above responses were tldr for me but ideally just stop them ever getting enough economy, I haven't actually seen either in a while and when they did it was way too late. 

Message 8 of 8 (344 Views)