Re: Hello! Come and Introduce Yourself!

by JimWUK

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Re: Hello!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi,

I have been a Star Wars fan since seeing the first film (Episode IV) at the cinema in the first week of release in London.  However I have been playing SWTOR for less than a week.

My first character (a classic Jedi Knight) got to 12th level, but could not leave the planet because the game had not yet fully downloaded. So I played a second character - a Jedi Shadow - which was only 11th level at leaving the planet.  Not sure how bad, or good, this is. 

My Shadow has just left Coruscant at 22nd level.  Only ever taken part in one multiplayer mission - got voted off... presumably because I am very slow (as is my computer, I expect, compared to any gaming-specific machine).

Oddly (maybe) my Shadow was never invited into a guild, while my Knight was... although nothing related to the guild ever happened - except I joined a Discord channel which was very quiet and my messages were ignored by those who posted after me.  So the entire game experience so far has been very non-social.  (I am a FtP).

Anyway... I am wondering...

How do you define Veteran?  Heroic 2+?  Legacy Experience?

Is there a place to compare how well (badly) one does?

Is there a place where other game terms are defined?

Thanks

Jim

Message 1 of 13 (1,985 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
EA Live QV Team

@JimWUK I've moved this discussion to a new thread since it's diverged from simple introductions now. I can see you've been hitting and overcoming some obstacles! If you come across anything that is preventing you from progressing your main class story or chapters, you can post in the Technical Issues forum or submit a ticket by emailing support@swtor.com

View in thread

Message 11 of 13 (2,119 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
EA Live QV Team

@JimWUK

Hello and welcome! Apologies for not noticing your post earlier. If I understood correctly, you're looking for a Glossary of Terms.

To answer your first questions:

- Veteran is a mission difficulty. The levels are Story, Veteran, and Master. In more common terms, these translate to Medium, Hard, and Very Hard, respectively.

- Heroic missions are a type of mission that are slightly harder than normal, usually involving more Elite (gold frame) and Champion (gold and silver frame) enemies. The number (2+, 3+, 4+) indicates the recommended amount of players.

- Legacy Experience is earned for everything that also grants you regular experience, only it's shared between all your characters that are on the same server. Leveling up your Legacy allows you to unlock some cool perks. Check out the Legacy Window by pressing Y in-game.

As for finding other terminology, the first place I'd check is the in-game tutorial. You can access it from the main game menu while you're logged in.

Message 2 of 13 (1,852 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thanks @EA_Kipling Quite helpful although I have learnt some of that already. I assume gold frame and silver frame is visible frame in game - which I have never noticed!

The in-game documentation uses what I call Microsoft Standards - i.e it shows you pretty screen shots but hardly tells you anything you did not already learn by trying it out.

I've never noticed any tutorial... I am assuming this is the documentation unless I missed something! Will check in game later.

Currently stuck trying to get somewhere.. had this before and had to go the long way around. This time it seems impossible and running into ever more powerful creatures as I try and work my way around... heroic area included. Oddly the Map shows no detail for the area I have been pushing through - until I reach a range of hills or the water. (The gameplay view is fine, just the map.. M...)
Message 3 of 13 (1,844 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@JimWUK

For the mobs that are elite, when you click on them and look at their character portrait you will see either a silver, gold or a silver and gold icon on the top right side.  This indicates that they are elite mobs.

The in-game tutorial by pressing T should have pictures.  Their difficulty is also indicated by some text below their name on the portrait which will say weak, nothing for normal, strong, elite, champion, boss.

Difficulty goes in this order:

Weak = No icon just weak text

Normal = No icon or text

Strong = text and silver icon

Elite = text and gold icon

Champion = Text and gold and silver icon

As far as the map it expands and shoes more as you explore.  What I would recommend is if you are having difficulty is work on increasing your level vis missions on lower level planets.

Also I would open your map and on the bottom left corner of the map is enable "Show Exploretory Missions".  This will enable additional missions for XP which are hidden by default.

Then just go to lower level planets to complete them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 4 of 13 (1,826 Views)

★★★ Novice
The issue was that I just could not see one turning, but a guild member pointed the way. This world was about the 5th I have explored and never had this issue before... the poorest map in terms of visibility to me so far.

Must try that exploratory missions thing. I usually end up doing two or three missions at a time, in an area.

Comolcom? What is this?
Message 5 of 13 (1,870 Views)

Hero

@JimWUK

That was a misspelling. Corrected it to say "complete".

Can you provide a screenshot of what your visibility looks like?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Server: Satele Shan

Volunteer forum moderator, I do not work for EA / BW.
Message 6 of 13 (1,856 Views)

★★★ Novice

Found a bug - well significant one... completed stage I of a mission, and left game.  Came back and went to speak to person indicated for Stage II and get a red message saying I have recently completed that mission.  Well I have never completed Stage II, and this is my first time to complete Stage I.

Message 7 of 13 (1,839 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

I have noticed that areas you have explored still show as unexplored if you start a mission that goes there.  I have been to Lord Grathan's Estate at least twice with this character... and yet still shows as if unexplored.

On the screen shot requested, I ran through the same stuff with a new character, and found I could not even find the mission character that a kind soul took me to.  Let along the junction.  In the end I seem to have found my wy in via the area north of Lord Grathan's Eastate

Attached is my current map, on which I have 'circled' the junction I just could not find.   Not much help I expect.

Message 8 of 13 (1,836 Views)

★★★ Novice
For the mission bug - completed the story arc for the location and went back.. still same issue.. oh well on to Balmoral.. er... whatever...lol
Message 9 of 13 (1,823 Views)

★★★ Novice
I went to Balmoran (however it is spelled) and performed some missions before wanting to continue with my main story arc. Only I was on the wrong planet, and had not yet picked up my ship (had used Heroic Transport).
I asked for advice, through a guild, but none of it was helpful. I did manage to go via the galaxy Map and pay to travel back to where my ship was.... exactly as if I had my ship. Posting in case this might be useful to anyone else.
Message 10 of 13 (1,802 Views)