Re: Is it true swtor will shut down?

by EA_Kat

Original Post

Accepted Solution

EA SUNDOWN AGAIN Damn it?

★ Apprentice

I have Been a fan of EA since Starflight in the early 80's, (Starflight was it?)   Own so many EA products I cant count but being loyal should be treated accordingly.    Purchased a couple copies of MCO cause it was a very good sim.  That's not the only game they1 "Sun downed" on me, and others without notice.   Damn it!  You owe your customers, loyal supporters the truth.  WTF is the rumor SWTOR is under scrutiny and rumors are if not profitable will stop being supported.  That is fine but to milk your customers to the last drop when they could pick up another time sink that will stick with them is horrible business ethics and screwing your customers over again.  I had to turn around the largest business of its kind in the U.S. from losing a couple mill to profiting 4 Like EA it was wholesale and our customers stuck with us no matter because we were Honest,  (Oh yea and I had to hire all our IT/computer people) I went to IBM school in the 70's and really appreciate what kind of hours and labor/talent goes into it so if its a business decision like MCO, etc. good I can appreciate it but to cut it off and say oh, by the way, we "sun downed" the game and will credit you for future EA purchase.  .Wonder why WOW is still successful?  reputation and reliability. Weird but guess you have to think about that one cause SWTOR imo is way better (Personal preference only and I still play wow, because I know they will be around)  Not jumping ship leaving your loyal customers to sink.  Some people in the MMO world develop characters and play the game not to waste time.  I can not explain but the time/effort put into something hoping for that return on investment being levels, etc. Getting the plug pulled because its nearing the end of fiscal year and losses can be written off, F the customers, just make sure the memberships are at its peak and paid up to date.  SO?????  Is there any truth to the "SWTOR is going to shut down"?  That's what is going around and with your past history could be.  I let my script lapse and if you check my account out I was loyal for ever.  SO.....   PLEASE LET US KNOW.  

Thank you Very much

Message 1 of 14 (4,808 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
EA SWTOR Team

Just to chime in real quick: There are no plans to shut down SWTOR any time soon. 

This is all. And neither me or any of the other community managers will partake in any speculations, because someone said somewhere the game is shutting down. 

~Kat

View in thread

Message 7 of 14 (4,792 Views)

All Replies

Re: EA SUNDOWN AGAIN Damn it?

@Bunndogg

I have moved your post from the technical issues forum to this discussion forum.

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 2 of 14 (4,802 Views)

★ Apprentice

Oh, Thanks much, sorry.  All though anyone technically working on the game might know what's going on in that department.  Again, thanks.

Message 3 of 14 (4,782 Views)

★★★ Newbie

EA is long been known to have very little integrity or support when it comes to keeping the consumer in the picture. ok it is about making money sure i understand that but i agree with the start of this post about how you conduct things when it comes to ending a game is just pathetic. You know Bunndogg ive been playing since MCO and ive had a bad taste in my mouth for EA since that all unfolded.  I know people who after they decided to pull that plug who were willing to put up servers to keep the game alive but EA wouldnt * on any one of its players who was on fire as long as they just kept paying they will let them burn until they burn out.  You are right about WOW as i to play it and have since its start and it is faithful to its players for 15 years and counting, too bad some of that cant rub off onto EA.  All i can say is when it comes to these people here at EA i cringe every time i see a game i think i will like and then see its made by these people cause i know, from experience dealing with them, that god forbid i have another issue with one of their games. Finding consistency in their assistance is not very likely. I personally am not enjoying NFS Pursuit much at all anymore cause ok you can change the look of the car but that goes about as far as i can spit. i want to be able to modify the engine and suspension where i can feel the difference in how it handles and see the difference in my times when its set up right.  MCO was ahead of its time when it came to racing games and personally i was not happy about how they did things with that one as well as a few others. now in Pursuit i love the way the police just appear right on you out of nowhere. Ok when a pursuit starts granted yes there will be more cops as thats the point, but they go about it in an ignorant way in my opinion and i think they have gotten enough of my money in my lifetime and unless i can not control myself for what ever reason i personally have no plan to support their screwing of the loyal customers that my opening comment on how i see EA. They have very little integrity and support when it comes to keeping the consumer in the picture. Only reason isnt to keep the customer coming back its to get all you can as quickly as you can because of the disposable generation mentality that is spreading like the wildfires in california. Ive been hoping that at some point they might get a grip and pull their heads out but ive been holding onto that for way too long and see now more than ever that they will never be able to when they have no desire to pull their heads out. Ive fed them thousands of dollars over the years but i dont have plans to give them anymore of my money. I know my money isnt going to make or break them but i feel id almost get a better return if i wasted it at the bar or strip club instead cause hell EA just hangs it out there for you to look at but dont you dare reach for it cause that will only get you face down on the ground tossed outside, ive seen it happen and its not pretty. lol anyways good luck to you Bunndogg i hope they dont screw you on the enjoyment of your game again...

Message 4 of 14 (4,774 Views)

Is it true swtor will shut down?

★ Apprentice

Is it true EA will stop supporting swtor?  I don't know what to believe since EA has shut down games without notice before.  Please be honest.  Been playing since pre order and let my script lapse because afraid you will shut us down.  Even Champions Online and Star Trek online can be trusted.  I understand business decisions, what cant support itself isn't worth it.  Just give us the truth and some notice.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 14 (4,760 Views)

@Bunndogg

I have moved your new post and merged with your previous post here

the only person posting at present in regards to swtor closing is you, and I haven't seen anything mentioned on reddit or the main swtor forums either and that is normally where i see the doom and gloom the world is ending posts.

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 6 of 14 (4,750 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA SWTOR Team

Just to chime in real quick: There are no plans to shut down SWTOR any time soon. 

This is all. And neither me or any of the other community managers will partake in any speculations, because someone said somewhere the game is shutting down. 

~Kat

Message 7 of 14 (4,793 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you very much.  Defining "any time soon" would be helpful.  Like I said I am afraid to reup my script and never see new plans for the game.  Also, if I were running the SWTOR part of EA it would be a hard decision but economical one.  I would hope they give us notice and not dump us all with a credit to any future games we might be interested in deal.  I signed on last night and its a ghost town.  If in fact there are no plans to "{sundown" it Marketing should kick there *$!$ in gear, Advertising as well, but if they are too busy working on other games then....  Let us know if you will guarantee its going to be around.  Personally I don't like WoW but have been playing online games since dial up modems were a pain in the * to connect.  thing with Blizzard is they are reliable.  They invest in Marketing and advertising which doesn't always work if not done correctly.  I hope swtor lasts a long time.  Im just concerned because of what I have read.  

Message 8 of 14 (4,728 Views)

★★ Guide

@bunnydogg EA is publishing Sunsets here and is relatively transparent (compared with some other sunset announcements): https://www.ea.com/service-updates

SWTOR will receive a new expansion with 6.0: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=946806&highlight=6.0

Since there are no details known at this point it could be a while until the expansion will be released. And I guess the game will stick around for a while when there is a new content created. Why create new content when the intent is to end it? The 'shutdown of SWTOR' was a troll post spread this year on the first of April in the forum and on youtube. Dig a bit deeper Standard smile 

Message 9 of 14 (4,706 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Thank you very much fore the link to site explaining why the stop supporting. That is a read to scare people away.  Can EA please let us know how close to the 1% is approaching?  J/K haha. That will kill the game.  The game is a ghost town.  Maybe/most likely new expansion or promotion would work. EA?  wtf, its a killer product with a killer label,  Fire who the hell fails to promote it.  If you listen to your employees rather then your customers you will fail.  Like I mentioned I followed you since the first DOS games. Why the hell does Blizzard do so well with WoW when that game seems to be put together by programmers that don't follow a consistent pattern? in other words WoW is inferior to SWTOR but has a ton of people playing all the time.  Something is off with selling the appeal of SWTOR.  All the time and effort invested in an iconic title.  You should fix it.  It needs a relaunch.  EA might be afraid of the investment but EA has a tittle and a great game/potential if people knew about it.  I am a big fan and hope it lasts but,  its like playing a single player game now.  Relaunch big.  You did some advertising in the past, what was ROI (return on investment)?  Was there a difference?  If Not then hey maybe its time to jump but PLEASE Let us know.  Thanks.   P.S.  I think your reputation of shutting down games without any kind of warning is what guides your future.  Maybe make an announcement your doing console only if that makes sense.  Best of luck.

Message 10 of 14 (4,597 Views)