Can SWTOR come on console

by Zeluse14

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can SWTOR come on console

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hello,
Firstly I would like to address that I am in love with EA!
I've been a big fan of EA games as long as I can remember. And would like to say thank you for the enjoyment you have given gamers throughout the years and definitely in the future!

However the reason why I am contacting you was about STAR WARS THE OLD REPUBLIC ON CONSOLE!
I was just curious if EA could make a Star Wars The Old Republic on the console. I think with today's hardware most people would love to get lost in the story, roam around the universe that is Star Wars.
Playing Dragon Age Inquisition it made me think of an open world star wars game (picking your class, party, love interests, karma system..just like a brilliant bios are game) it would be absolutely remarkable. I understand that there is a PC version, however making a console version would widen the popularity of the Star Wars franchise to EA!

I can take a guess that I am not the only person to ask this question as bioware games are really popular with the gaming community.

Thank you for your time and I wait with anticipation for your reply!

Calum Malone

Message 1 of 61 (109,494 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can SWTOR come on ps4

EA SWTOR Team

@cconnor3 there are currently no plans to bring SWTOR to any console. 

If any of you got a couple of millions lying around, I guess we can talk again about this :D

~Kat

View in thread

Message 21 of 61 (87,204 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

Hey @Zeluse14

Glad you enjoy our games so much Standard smile

I'm sure there's a lot of people that would love to play SWTOR on console, FFXIV did it really well on PS4 for example.

There's not currently any information that I'm aware of to suggest that's happening but we appreciate the feedback. I've moved your post across to the SWTOR boards to see what others think.

Cheers,

- Andy -

Message 2 of 61 (109,375 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Zeluse14

Sorry to disappoint you, but the chance of SWTOR coming to consoles is extremely low.

BioWare would have to port the game over to the OS architecture of each console separately, which is an enormous effort, especially since SWTOR runs on a modified pre-release version of the heroengine.

In addition to that, they would have to restructure the way the game utilizes hardware resources, more specifically, split the current single thread into four to more efficiently use the quad-core AMD APUs the current-gen consoles use, as these APUs have a pretty weak single-core performance and would make playing PVP and Operations virtually impossible.

Also, while it may not be impossible, it will be really hard to make the interface work with console controllers, as their pointing accuracy and number of buttons are undeniably inferior to a mouse and keyboard. (You have 84 quickbar slots in total and most of the keyboard keys are assigned to individual windows. The only ecxeptions here are Space PVE and PVP, which may even work better with a controller than a mouse+keyboard.

In the end it would probably be easier to rebuild the game from scratch with a new engine and with both PC and consoles in mind. The original game (Patch version 1.0) cost over 200M$ to develop (Which makes it the most expensive game ever made excluding marketing cost), so that's just as unlikely to happen in the near future.

Message 3 of 61 (109,332 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Hey,

I will honestly say that after seeing posts about SWTOR on consoles, I know people who have played or would love to play it who like myself want to see it on PS4 and Xbox One.
The player base would be bigger than on PC due to the fact it is Star Wars and consoles can be more easily accessible for gamers (noobs and vets alike).
And I did read comments by others that porting SWTOR would most likely mean an entire rebuild of the game for all platforms, an interface for the game like say the one from Dragon Age: Inquistion or similar would work great on a controller for SWTOR, or perhaps a seperate console only version would still be better than nothing. Though it seems like a mammoth size series of tasks to pull off such a feat no matter which of any the choices for it are made, in the end it would be worth the reward for EA.

Thanks for reading. :-)

Colin

P.S. If say SWTOR does come onto consoles it would be nice to play an MMO that does have matchmaking for raids unlike a certain "BUNGIE GAME". (I slate it for that any chance I can)
Message 4 of 61 (108,079 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
I would love this. Honestly can see myself buying all the expansions right away if it cane out on ps4.
Message 5 of 61 (108,057 Views)

★ Guide

@NilokTheSlayer wrote:
Hey,

I will honestly say that after seeing posts about SWTOR on consoles, I know people who have played or would love to play it who like myself want to see it on PS4 and Xbox One.
The player base would be bigger than on PC due to the fact it is Star Wars and consoles can be more easily accessible for gamers (noobs and vets alike).
And I did read comments by others that porting SWTOR would most likely mean an entire rebuild of the game for all platforms, an interface for the game like say the one from Dragon Age: Inquistion or similar would work great on a controller for SWTOR, or perhaps a seperate console only version would still be better than nothing. Though it seems like a mammoth size series of tasks to pull off such a feat no matter which of any the choices for it are made, in the end it would be worth the reward for EA.

Thanks for reading. :-)

Colin

P.S. If say SWTOR does come onto consoles it would be nice to play an MMO that does have matchmaking for raids unlike a certain "BUNGIE GAME". (I slate it for that any chance I can)

Consoles being more accessible than PCs is plain wrong, it has been proven over and over that it is easily possible to build a PC with equal or greater power than a current-gen console for the same price. Also, most people have some kind of basic office PC at home which, when putting a GPU for half the price of a console in it, can, again, achieve similar performance.

Also, you can't just claim there would be a bigger player base on consoles. While the player numbers of the most recent Star Wars game, Battlefront, on consoles exceed PC by far, it's an entirely different genre than SWTOR and thus in no way comparable.

Had Battlefront not included space combat in the expansions, I would have said a console (or console+PC) version of just SWTOR's Space PvP would have been possible.

But as it stands, I am not expecting anything coming to console in regards to SWTOR for the forseeable future, that is, the next 1 or 2 years.

Don't get me wrong, I would be happy if SWTOR became more popular, I'm just being realistic.

Message 6 of 61 (108,056 Views)

★★ Novice

After 5.0 you wouldn't want it anyway. That looks to be the deal breaker for me. I canceled my sub.

Message 7 of 61 (108,037 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I just read up on 5.0 because I have been playing Witcher 3 and not playing SWTOR, they are changing everything again!? Why!? There was nothing wrong with it before the last big change either.

Seems to me like a whole game rebuild might not be a bad idea now. Start from scratch and put it on consoles and PC if they do.
Message 8 of 61 (108,016 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I agree realistically it may not happen in the near future, but in terms of an investment EA would be smart to do it, they could recoup the cost in under a year with possible sales alones, Sub fees and buying extras like on Cartel Market etc, and the fact it is Star Wars, the name sells in the accountants eyes.
Though the genre is different, there are plenty of RPG & Star Wars fans who would try it and may have enough players that Group finder may actually work for Ops in less than ten mins than a hour.

And yeah I like PCs more also, but from what I hear most of the time from workmates, friends and family that everyone is either PS4 or Xbox One, rarely do I hear PC gaming. I put it down to no kid asking his/her parents for a £500 to £700+ Rig, they would get told two words if they did, i did ask some people I know who are parents over the last few christmas present conversations if they would spend that for a gaming PC....you do not need to guess what those two words are.

I honestly do hope it happens, because it is an awesome game and seems a wasted opportunity being only on PC.
I'd say the same for many other games that are console only.
Message 9 of 61 (108,009 Views)

★ Guide

@NilokTheSlayer wrote:
I just read up on 5.0 because I have been playing Witcher 3 and not playing SWTOR, they are changing everything again!? Why!? There was nothing wrong with it before the last big change either.

Seems to me like a whole game rebuild might not be a bad idea now. Start from scratch and put it on consoles and PC if they do.

Absolutely.

IMO they should continue SWTOR similar to the way they do now: release a new chapter every 1-2 months, ignore any not-completely-game-braking bugs (like they do now) and instead of throwing new CM packs at us, begin building SWTOR II completely from scratch with at least DX11, a 64-bit client and at least some basic multi-threading for PC and a console version with simpliflied controls and proper multi-threading.

And they should get Disney to fund them a movie in the TOR era with a story by BioWare and the visuals by Blur (The company that made the CGI trailers).

Message 10 of 61 (107,998 Views)