So, this chemistry system

by 17of26

Original Post

So, this chemistry system

★★★ Novice

I finally got around to starting an NHL22 franchise with a Kraken expansion draft, and the line chemistry is one of the most poorly designed systems I've ever seen in any video game.  The concept is good, but the implementation is a total failure.

The first big problem is that the system isn't documented at all so the only way I was able to figure anything out was via some youtube videos.

The next major issue is that you often don't get the information you need to make roster decisions for the purposes of line chemistry.  When doing an expansion franchise, you don't get access to the edit lines screen until the season starts.  This means you have to go through the expansion draft, entry draft, and free agency without ever being able to see what your line chemistry is.

But the real game breaking problem is the randomized nature of the system combined with the number of degrees of freedom and possible combinations of preferences. It's very easy to get into a state where it is literally impossible to build lines with any chemistry at all.  In my first expansion franchise, there is not a single forward rated above 84 that matches my coach's line 1 or line 2 strategy.  I tried firing the coach, but there weren't very many coaches available to hire and none of them were matches either.

So I started a second franchise and none of top free agent forwards matched any of my line strategies.  The fact that there is no way to adjust the strategies makes no sense whatsoever.  In real life, a coach will adjust their strategies based on the players available, or the players may adjust their playstyle to fit a coach.

All of this wasted hours of my time and was not fun at all.   Bottom line is, the system is not explained, inflexible, and very frustrating to try and use.

Message 1 of 19 (6,518 Views)

Re: So, this chemistry system

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Revisiting this after a couple of weeks of trying to build a roster with good chemistry.  This system is 100% an exercise in frustration and overall the system makes no logical sense.  Superstar players are often not a fit for your top two lines.  Sorry, but there's no way that a top forward is playing on a 3rd or 4th line on a team, ever.

There are often literally no players available in the entire league that fit both the position you're trying to fill and the coach's strategy for a given line.  

Is there any way to turn off the chemistry system?  If not, what negative impact does it have if I just ignore it entirely?  (again, the effects of the chemistry system are not documented anywhere).

Message 2 of 19 (6,334 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@17of26 there is no way to turn it off unfortunately, just something that needs to be dealt with

I think if a line has -1 chemistry, the players simulate as if they were one overall lower, but I'm not sure

@EA_Blueberry am I right with this?
Message 3 of 19 (6,330 Views)

★★★ Novice

@johum2886 Wait, does that mean line chemistry does nothing if you actually play the games?  

If that's the case, then I just wasted a whole lot of my time :D

Message 4 of 19 (6,327 Views)

★★★★★ Pro
@17of26 Yeah, I don’t think chemistry impacts anything other than simulated games.
Message 5 of 19 (6,319 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@kyl_35 and I think that is just from the calendar, not from actually simming the game, but again I'm not sure
Message 6 of 19 (6,311 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Would be interesting to actually know where the chemistry makes effect. 

Sim from calendar, all sims or also in actually playing the game...

@EA_Blueberry 

Message 7 of 19 (6,295 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@MV75This honestly would really help… there’s no explanation of what it actually does..

@EA_Blueberry if we could get an actual answer from the devs.. that would be really appreciated.. does it affect simming only.. or calendar simming only.. gameplay only.. all 3… etc et

Message 8 of 19 (6,285 Views)

Community Manager

Confirmed Chemistry impacts both gameplay and games you simulate as well. 

Blueberry.png
Message 9 of 19 (6,267 Views)

★★★ Pro
@EA_Blueberry Thank you for the confirmation.. appreciate it..
Message 10 of 19 (6,246 Views)