1st Round draft Choice stuck in OHL

by RumOak163

Original Post

1st Round draft Choice stuck in OHL

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

My first-round draft choice I traded up for is in my contract list but is unavailable for call up in roster moves. He signed for 3 years 2 way contract at 1 mil right after drafting. I figured maybe it was some cap issue in year 1. Now he's in his 2nd contract year, shows up in my player list under contracts, but is invisible on the NHL or AHL team. I have 2 mil in cap space. This has never happened to me before. I don't want to trade, I could but I don't want to. Why does he not appear in the "in the system" in roster moves list so I can call him up to the NHL? I can't even get him in the AHL. HELP!!

Message 1 of 11 (3,341 Views)

Re: 1st Round draft Choice stuck in OHL

★★★ Pro
@RumOak163 You have to call him up in the preseason. If he’s sent down, he’ll be in the juniors and unavailable for call up until the start of next pre season
Message 2 of 11 (3,306 Views)

★★★ Pro
@heavydutyrammer Also if he’s under 20/isn’t 20 by a certain day, I think sometime in September, he’s not eligible to play in the AHL
Message 3 of 11 (3,305 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@heavydutyrammerOK thanks I'll try that out and let you know. The only thing is I've never had to do this before but who knows. I've had 18yr olds play in the NHL without me doing a thing. The guys only 19 and almost all his stats are in the high to mid 80's.

Message 4 of 11 (3,293 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

@heavydutyrammer wrote:
@heavydutyrammerAlso if he’s under 20/isn’t 20 by a certain day, I think sometime in September, he’s not eligible to play in the AHL

Needs to be 20 by Dec 31, in my experience. Not that you’d have any way to know when they turn 20 if they’re game generated…

wait, maybe through the edit player screen you’d know? I just now thought of that 

Message 5 of 11 (3,277 Views)

★ Guide
@kyl_35 Well in year 3 when he turned 20 I can use him. But I've had 18 and 19 yr old in my lineups always. I think what may have happened is it was the first time ever I went over the cap after FA's and then a trade came along, so once he got sent down I had wo wait until he was 20. Like I said I have never seen this before with a top end rookie. Thanks for the help!
Message 6 of 11 (3,258 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

Ahh! Yeah; that would explain it 

Message 7 of 11 (3,253 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I think that players for europe can be in your line up (NHL/AHL) when they 18 or 19. The rules of 20 is more to the north american players, specially canadiens.

Message 8 of 11 (3,085 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@heavydutyrammerYep. The CHL was worried, decades ago, that the NHL would steal all of their top players - this is after Gretzky entered the CHL at 14, then jumped to the WHA at 16. They signed an agreement so that NHL players had to be 18 and AHL players had to be 20 - if they are claimed by the CHL only - so that they would stay in the CHL.

If they're from the US leagues, Europe, or Rest of the World they can play in the AHL at 18.

Message 9 of 11 (2,543 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@MV75 Only CHL players. Any other league in the world can lose their players at 18 or 19 - but the CHL has an agreement with the NHL.
Message 10 of 11 (2,542 Views)