Re: My feedback and experience so far (30/09/2020) - Noobgamer0111

by Noobgamer0111

Original Post

My feedback and experience so far (30/09/2020) - Noobgamer0111

★ Guide

This is just some of the things I've noticed with the EA Desktop Application (Desktop).

Background Information

Specs: Dell Inspiron 15R 7520 SE (laptop)

CPU: Intel Core-i7 3612QM @2.10GHz

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 @1600MHz SODIMM

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7730M (2GB) (unusable due to drivers not installing at all, not affected by Desktop installation).

Win Build: Win 10 Pro Version 1809 (build: 17763.1282)

Origin version: 10.5.84.43868

Beta version: 12.0.5.4021

Build email was received at 3:04am. Downloaded current build at approximately 9am AEST.

Games Tested: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (2010). Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam (2010)

Games Available for testing, but not downloaded: Crysis, Crysis 2 and Apex Legends.

My experience and feedback so far.

1. Successful install. Installation was quick to complete, no errors found/detected. 🙂
  2. Had a good look through all the menus.
    • Largest issue was the very limited settings available. There are literally two Football settings under Application Settings (Language and the in-game overlay)
    • UI is really solid. I tried breaking it by spamming menus, deliberately going forwards and backwards. Handles really well. Good 'hitboxes' for buttons.
    • Could not find how to add my Steam account easily. I found you had to go through what I remember was My Profile and then Friends.
    • Still really annoyed at how you have to buy the same games on Steam (not really related, but had to get it out here).
  3. Running games.
    • First (and only game) tried to run was Battlefield: Bad Company 2 in Windowed mode. I first noticed that the in-game overlay was not running/working at all. I tried checking if it was enabled. The default keys (Shift+F1) was pressed multiple times.
    • Playtime value post-game was not increased after exit. Had to refresh the app (Ctrl+R). Playtime value was then updated.
  4. Other comments.
    1. Cannot close Desktop to taskbar/icon area. If I click on close, it simply closes the window to the taskbar. However, if I right-click on the .exe on the taskbar, the app will entirely close (everything stops). I would like the minimise to taskbar feature from Origin return.

I personally think this was really necessary to have a full overhaul of the Origin/Desktop app. Keep up the good work, guys/gals!

Message 1 of 8 (1,254 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Additional information.

I am missing the BF: Bad Company 2 DLC, the Vietnam Expansion pack on EA Desktop, yet own it on Origin.

When I click on it, it says Buy DLC. This is very odd as I own it on Origin, yet apparently do not on EA Desktop. This can play issues in double-charging users, and extra Support tickets generated for Missing content

Screenshot 2020-10-11 200600.pngScreenshot 2020-10-11 202348.png

Message 2 of 8 (1,147 Views)

★ Guide

Nice feedback, but i don't get it, why is no one mentioning the fact you cant have multiple drives for game installs?  In the age of SSD's surly i'm not the only one who has my origin spread over 4 different drives.  But EA Destop does not let you do this, so at the moment I could not even us the app if i wanted to, cause 80% of my games are installed on other drives.

Message 3 of 8 (1,140 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Agreed, that's odd. The only separate drive I have is my 8GB mSATA SSD on my laptop, which I can access in File Explorer, yet no mention of choosing your installation of your software.

Message 4 of 8 (1,136 Views)

★★★ Novice

In game overlay not working, error reporter not working, getting help not working, posting not working...

Message 5 of 8 (963 Views)

★★ Novice

I wonder what the technical reason is for some DLC not showing up in the new client? e.g. I cannot get access to Mass Effect 2 or 3 DLC via EA Desktop (Beta) so I've had to uninstall it and go back to using Origin. 

Message 6 of 8 (832 Views)

Community Manager
@Noobgamer0111 Thanks for the detailed feedback, will be sharing this with the team!

To check for the refresh on your Game time, is there any other game you have had a chance to play to see if this happens, or was it just once you had to do this?

For anyone who had questions about double DLC's/needing to repurchase, to make sure please don't since we are still in a Beta many of the things that are 'hooked up' in Origin to show everything you own is not fully present in EA Desktop (but we are working to get them).

For the feedback about using multiple drives, this is something that has been widely requested if news is published about any changes like this one or any other requested ones I will be sure to post in the feedback board for everyone to check out!

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 7 of 8 (824 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

I only did it with BFBC2 since that was the only game that I knew would run albeit at like 40FPS. It was a once-off.

Message 8 of 8 (820 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help