Re: Limiting download speeds

by kotoriel

Original Post

Accepted Solution

how to limit/throttle download speed in EA Desktop app ?

★★★ Newbie

how to limit/throttle download speed in EA Desktop app ?

my family angry because when i download game , internet speed became slow

Message 5 of 69 (33,848 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: how to limit/throttle download speed in EA Desktop app ?

Community Manager

Hey everyone,

The EA app does now allow download speed to be limited, just in case that update was missed.

You can find and change this option under Settings > Download > Limit download rate.

Thank you for the patience with this and for all the feedback!

Mako.png

View in thread

Message 56 of 69 (8,637 Views)

All Replies

Limiting download speeds

★ Guide

I see that EA Desktop has some controls to set a download speed limit, but they are locked to Unlimited with the mouse cursor just turning into a "nope" cursor when hovering on them. It would be great to be able to set the limits so that I can safely do these huge downloads in the background while for example watching streaming videos and not have the EA download take up all the bandwidth.

On the plus side, at least currently it is able to use my 100 Mbps connection fully to download the games. I just wouldn't always want it to Standard smile

Message 1 of 69 (28,116 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback, totally agreed. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 69 (28,089 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

where is this setting???

Message 3 of 69 (27,783 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

Just checked the Trello board and this isn't even listed as an Item on there?

To be taken seriously as a platform, this is the most basic of functionality that should be expected! 

Message 4 of 69 (27,738 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey @iyus1the best thing to do in a situation such as this may be to download and update your games when others aren't using the internet. I find that it's best to do the brunt of my downloading early in the morning or later at night so as to ensure that no one else's connection is affected by my downloading games.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 6 of 69 (33,801 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I find instead of using EA Desktop App, I find Steam and Epic work much better; they have advanced features such as download rate limiting. 

Hopefully EA is able to figure this out (hopefully in a few years) I can purchase content from them again.

Message 7 of 69 (33,741 Views)

★★★ Novice

I mean or EA could just put the download restriction setting back in, that was in Origin so people can download stuff however they want instead of having to work around other peoples schedules. My connection isn't the fastest ever and I like to be able to set my downloads to only use half or so of my bandwidth. So perhaps I can play something else, or watch a show while it downloads.

But whatevs EA's not going to do anything about it.

Message 8 of 69 (33,175 Views)

★★ Novice

That's really not the best thing. So I have to wait until tomorrow to play a game I'm excited for now? Gimme a break. Just implement this feature in the app smh

Message 9 of 69 (32,935 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@EA_Darko what a daft solution. it's 2021 mate, put in a download limiter. simple as.

stop making our gaming experience harder for your sake, this is such an inconvenience... but of course it's EA why did i expect anything good....
Message 10 of 69 (32,358 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help