Re: FPS performance worse vs Origin

by zapy85

Original Post

FPS performance worse vs Origin

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I've reported this via the app so I'll keep it brief.

Versus Origin, CPU usage with EA Desktop is higher than Origin and therefore the FPS in games is lower. And this is with a 9900K.

Also when I right-click, the menu is tiny and I can't see the options.

Message 1 of 7 (1,824 Views)

Community Manager
@loopy750 Thanks for letting us know about the CPU usage your seeing! To confirm which menu in EA Desktop or in a game was Tiny when right-clicking it for you? (Home, Browser, My collection, Friend tab, etc)

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 7 (1,644 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Illium. I just downloaded the latest version and right-clicking no longer does anything. So technically there's nothing wrong with that now and I'm guessing this is the intended behaviour.

Message 3 of 7 (1,620 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@loopy750 its a known issue, video playback in the client takes up more CPU/GPU https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Known-Issues-EA-Desktop-Beta/td-p/9496448

But that shouldn't be a problem once you launch the game and the client is in the bg, it should use more or less 0% then with the game getting priority from the system if you run full-screen.

Did you have any data on the difference for Origin and EA Desktop?
Message 4 of 7 (1,590 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hey zapy85. I tested on two games, Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 4. Interestingly, there's no FPS difference in BF1, but in BF4 it's easily reproducible. The easiest method is simply spawning into the test range and taking note of the FPS. I used MSI Afterburner to record the average, but of course the game engine's FPS counter will do if you don't use that.

Using Origin the average FPS was 673.

Using EA Desktop the average FPS was 572.

Obviously at such high frames it wouldn't really be noticeable, but the fact a 15% reduction in performance exists shouldn't be happening.

I have the in-game overlay disabled in both programs just in case that was affecting it.

Message 5 of 7 (1,573 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@loopy750@EA_David something to investigate, can try it as well to see if it is global.

Message 6 of 7 (1,566 Views)

★★★ Novice

More than two years on and nothing has changed, can't say I'm surprised. And now people are being forced to "update" to this inferior app.

Message 7 of 7 (409 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help