Re: Allow us to fully close program on "X" out

by ATFGunr

Original Post

[X] button bugged

★★★★ Novice

Desktop beta app minimizes to tray when I click the [X] to close. I cant find a setting to close the app when I select the X. How do I fix this?

If I would like to minimize app, I would click [-] instead.

It can't be 'by design' because noone decent would make 2 buttons do exactly same thing, right?

Message 21 of 45 (1,722 Views)

★★★ Novice

If you really can't make this feature than please PLEASE delete this ANNOYING message which says that EA App still running

Message 22 of 45 (1,644 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@EA_Jason Any updates? This behavior causes me to NEVER recommend EA app to friends.
Message 23 of 45 (1,623 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

message might be not sent by ea app at all, but rather Windows finding out that application (ea app) is doing some shady stuff (still running after clicking [x] button) which is seen as possible threat as this behaviour is more common in case of malware rather than legit applications.

also it makes no sense to be sent by ea app as it clearly wants to run in background without your consent, so announcing it is counter efficient comparing to just keeping low profile.

Message 24 of 45 (1,466 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Jason that's not how Windows programs should act though. The X means CLOSE APP, not "Minimise to tray." That's the whole point of the X. Fix your app, please.
Message 25 of 45 (1,325 Views)

★★ Novice
@EA_Jason I don't get it, its a basic feature. Do you guys not have enough developers or something? If so I can do it for you guys for free just shoot me a dm. Its crazy that something so simple is taking a massive company like EA more than a year to implement.
Message 26 of 45 (1,224 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@EA_Jason Wanted this feature in too, it's very annoying and very manipulative. Not sure why anyone would want to keep the app running. It's pretty much weaponized incompetency...
Message 27 of 45 (1,211 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@MindlessProton Not only should it close when we close it, even if it did it’s still running the EA Background Service which is always on by default. EA App won’t run of the background revives app is off. Why do they need two apps, one of which you don’t see in your PC unless you look in Task Manager? I’ve found no explanation yet to the purpose of that secondary app. It’s BS.
Message 28 of 45 (1,190 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@EA_Jason What is your thoughts on the EA Background Service that’s constantly running, even if you do fully close the EA App? Why is it running with system permissions?? This BS is like a back door right into our computers and the only way to stop it is to turn it off in task manager. If you do stop it, the app doesn’t work either. Pretty damn convenient? The App itself closing is a minor inconvenience, the background service, which most users don’t even realize is there, is a far greater concern than the app minimizing. When is EA going to explain themselves? I’ve looked around, so far it’s crickets. When EA is comprised and this back door is used for malicious intent, EA must realize they’re responsible for that? We’re not stupid, I won’t be buying another EA game until this is rectified.
Message 29 of 45 (1,163 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Workarounds should be unnecessary. The behaviour described is shady at best.

However, this has annoyed me enough to work on a workaround (really not as clean as I would like, but should be functional).

1. Right click desktop and select "New", "Text Document" (name it something like EA Launch).

2. Open the new file on the desktop (double click it, or right click and "open").

3. Copy the text between the dotted lines below into the file and save the file (click "File" at the top of the window, then "Save As...").

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@echo off

echo Launching EA app
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\EA Desktop\EALauncher.exe"
echo Play your chosen games then come back to this screen and press any key. The service and EA program will end.
timeout 10
pause

echo Stopping service
net stop EABackgroundService
echo Service stopped

timeout 5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Please note that the script between the lines assumes you have installed to the default location. If you changed the install location please remember to change "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\EA Desktop\EALauncher.exe" to the location for your "EALauncher.exe". *

4. In the save dialog window that opens, go to the bottom and change the drop down option for "Save as type:" to "All Files".

Add ".bat" (without the quotes to your file name. If you called your file "EA Launch" then change it it the name field so it looks like "EA Launch.bat"), and then click "Save".

5. When you want to play EA games, double click the file you created. It should launch the application. just play your games, then when you want to stop using EA, return to the black window and press any key. this will stop the service and the EA app will stop.

Hope this is helpful to someone. Standard smile

Message 30 of 45 (996 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help