Before 1.3 patch there was discussions about some changes like +%armor instead of luck or new colossus gear. Now I can say that all concerns came true. Well, it's not effective to run 4 colossus squad in cataclysm as somebody suggested (Colossus is immobile and cataclysm requires a lot of runing) but still Colossus is too OP. While effect +%armor change was obvious some effects was unexpected.
1) +%Armor instead of luck. Colossus benefits from this change more than other javelins. +%Armor was the main stat for colossus pre 1.3 patch. And now we recieved this stat for free. This allows to swap your primary inscriptions from +%armor roll to +%all damage while boosting his armor by secondary inscriptions. This results in significant increase of damage. On other hand Storm recieve less than other classes. And now this class is extremely weak. This result was so obvious and I do not understand why developers did nothing with this for 2 month of running PTS.
2) Overall increase in survivability of Colossus allowed to stop using defensive tools like Voltaic Dome and be more offensive. So all expirienced Colossus prefer Vassa's Arc because it allows to trigger combos without moving a finger. This combines with new Meteor Storm which reliably places enemies on fire (by hit and by burning ground). So everyone is on fire. Arc keeps blowing combos. Everything dying.
This is so really bad that you even do not feel that you need to fire by your Best Defense. Because your health do not drops and everything dying without firing a rocket (to trigger combo in AoE). Enemies dies so fast that firing by rocket feels as a waste - it's better to fire from Sentinel's Vengeance to place more debuff's which will be automaticly triggered by Arc.
Current GM3 feels like GM2 (and I had pretty strong pre 1.3 Colossus). You move through enemies like hot knife through butter.
3) Colossus has weakness that he has not permament shield. While this is still true I feel that I almost do not need to use my shield to protect myself (mainly you want to protect yourself from status effects). I use shield more often as offensive tool (to attack in flying before melee attack). Only some special attacks of bosses can kill me.
4) Single Target damage was a weakness of Colossus if it's focused on clearing trash in 1.2. Currently because you can use much more +%all damage and use universal components without any penalty your single target damage increased. Sentinel's Vengeance crits for 45k. Endless Siege crits for 11k (to usual mob under ralling cry effect). I can solo kill GM3 bristleback in conjuctions without any troubles (I have 30 seconds left after kill).
5) Universal Components change was a joke too. Universal components have more powerful basic bonuses (for example component which boost assault gear damage give +5% bonus to one ability) and can have two primary inscriptions. While javelin specific component can have only two secondary inscriptions (some of them are restricted to javelin specific component so can be valuable). But universal components did not give defense. Now they gives same amount of shields/hp and have more powerful effects. Of course I equipped a lot of universal components and use only very powerful colossus components (which have +% armor bonus or imbalanced like Shock Treatment).
6) Shock Treatment. This component was too powerful in 1.2. No matter which build you use you MUST use it. There was no question. If you play by colossus then you should use shock treatment. +80% all damage which almost always active is too powerful. But after 1.3 changes... Casual +% all damage increase only weapon and gear damage. But Shock Treatment buffs your combo and ultimate too. So this results that this non stop combos from Vassa's Arc are buffed by this component. And already must have component became even more powerful.
7) There are some too weak gear like flak cannon or mortar. It's hard to kill single bandit by flak cannon (non elite!!!) on GM3 by legendary black powder. Firing by mortar takes too much time for little effect. After current changes when +%damage from gear effects buffs combo damage it could be useful but this gear is too unconvinient for it's weak effect. Flame thrower have small range and very weak damage. What's the point to buff it damage if it does not deal it at all? Let flamethrower buff your +% fire damage (so it will buff burning damage by +160%). This will make it useful. Or at least match its range with Vassa's Arc range and increase its fire effect (it's impossible to put on fire legendary valkyrie by flamethrower). Railgun charges too much time while it hits single target. At the same time Best Defense fires instantly, heals you and have aoe. Mortar have charge time too, have less aoe range than BD and projectile flies slowly and hits ceiling (where is a balance?). I think best defense should have charge time while railgun fire instantly. Solvent Green gives crazy +%combo damage which is potential sources of OP builds (if you nerf Shock treatment still it would be possible to destroy everything with Solvent Green). Nerf its +%combo damage but increase number of applying acid stacks.
I play by Colossus by I think some changes should be implemented without question. First Shock Treatment should be nerfed. I think this is the main problem why colossus dish out so much damage. I think instead of giving +80% all damage (including combos) it should give +80% gear damage (or even to one slot like Q or E). Also it's needed to take closer look to %armor change because it benefits colossus too much.
Also it can be possible to change Colossus combo to inflict less damage in aoe (still inflict same damage to the main target) while inflict more damage from Assault Gear. I like that Colossus slow but powerful guy (you need to charge your mortar while Ranger throws his grenade instantly). But because his damage revolves around combo it quickly becomes imbalanced against trash. It's too easy to trigger a lot of combos by Colossus. And things like Solvent Green becomes too good (but current GM3 content is so weak that you even do not need to equip it despite the fact that you do not use best defense too often) while usual sources of aoe damage are not used. Because placing effects are too important sentinels vengeance is better than other grenade launchers.
Of course components should be rebalanced to be competitive with universal components (5% to Q? really?). Or +% all damage inscription gives same damage bonuses as +%weapon damage (so I will never use item with +%weapon damage when I can use +%all damage). But this is should be implemented for all javelins.
PS And do something with Tyrant and Escari bosses. They are too fragile. Tyrant dies like 1.2 GM2 tyrant (you almost kill it before first trash swarm). Scar mine boss allows to burst him ignoring trash (what should not be the case on the hardest difficulty). Other bosses feels ok.
PPS I played mostly by Storm and Colossus. I do not play by Storm anymore. It's stupidly weak in comparison with thick guy.
Yes, it's slow tanky and powerful. But it should not be undestructible machine of death. I tried to do GM3 HoR yesterday. It was easier than GM2 pre 1.3. It was easier than doing old GM3 content by 4 legendary javelins (only Titan took a bit too much time because its health was not nerfed).
I played by Ranger which was more tough than colossus in 1.2. Yes, ranger is strong but is not unkillable. While Colossus can ignore almost everything. Literally ignore. Only beam of Vara or melee from fury boss is dangerous for you. Even acid spray from Monitor is not dealy for you anymore.
And this toughness comes not for a price. It's almost free. You have single target damage just a bit lower than ranger (and greatly surpass ranger in aoe terms)
BTW, I forgot to mention cannons. Only Endless Siege looks useful. It has spin up time but resulting damage output is very strong.
Fist of Strall have low accuracy and useless against bosses. There are no big need to use autocannon against trash mobs. As I said colossus combo is too strong and everything revolves around it. Moreover current burn damage is pretty strong (I think it's ok) so usually if you had not enough damage enemy dies from burn. Because of low accuracy fist of strall is not very convinient to hit weak spots of tough mobs.
Last Stand is just weak.
I think autocannons should consume crazy amount of bullets but resulting damage output should be crazy too. So if I use Fist of Stral then all weak mobs in front of me should obliterated (thanks to big spray). But I should quickly go out of ammo (and I have only one additional clip by default). So this will require to increaze clip size and increaze total number of ammo. Currently component which increaze your ammo storage (not clip) looks useless.
August - last edited August
I Don't agree that the big guy is OP
it seems to me that you have a great build and know how to use it.
Last time I looked the top 3 positions on the cataclysm leader board were not colossus
We would all like to have a great build and I don't want to see them nerf the big guy before I can even get there.
If you personally want to nerf your colossus change to all master works, that might make things more of a challenge for you.
August - last edited August
Big boy is too tanky right now. That is the main concern. Other things is not very important. But I do not like that shock treatment is must have.
Cataclysm is not some sort of measure. It's pretty easy content.
I think that nerf of shock treatment mostly will fix problems with balance. Right now it buffs your combo and allows to play without Solvent Green (when you focus on combos). This allows to take Best Defense and you feel yourself unkillable. If it will not affect combos then you will need to take solvent green. So you will not have aoe detonator (or primer) and healing. So Colossus will be on par with Ranger.