May 2022 - last edited May 2022
This no longer works
Those keys no longer seem to be in win registry
You can move it the same way as Epic Games. Start a download of title you wish to move, pause it when you see a percentage , close EA Desktop (make sure you exit out of taskbar tray), move your game backup over-writing the newly downloaded folder. You do not need to close EA service. You'll know it worked when you relaunch EA D and resume game download. You will now see it saying Preparing vs Downloading.
You can do this with multiple drive for instance I have a 4tb mechanical hard drive ( D: ) for those game I dont play often but want to be able to launch without downloading and then I have a 2tb nvme( E: ) for competitive or open world games I play often. So the tiles I want on D: I would select that drive when starting a title dl then moving game backup to that drive/folder and same thing goes for my nvme.
1. In the EA app, change the "Install location" where you want the game to go.
2. Quit the EA app and terminate the EABackgroundService.exe in Task Manager.
3. Move the folder of the game to the "Install location" you chose, then start the EA app. The game will not show in library, so look it up in the search bar.
4. When you find it, click download. The EA app will show "Preparing / calculating time..." It will actually be performing a file check, instead of re-downloading the game files again.
5. When the progress bar completes, the files have been verified and the game should be playable.
July 2022 - last edited July 2022
I had this problem with FIFA 22, I recently moved it from one drive to another. And EA app failed to recognize it as a downloaded game. Anyone facing this issue, go to regedit and search for FIFA 22 in EA Sports registry instead of EA Games in both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node
If you installed the game to a non default location (C:\Program Files\EA Games\), try opening regedit and then CTRL + F to find the current install location path in any Keys, Values, and Data in the registry. I was able to move Apex Legends from (G:\EA\Apex) to (Z:\EA\Apex) after first copying it to the target location and then changing the key under (Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Respawn\Apex) and changing Install Dir Value with my target directory. Make sure you restart the EA Desktop Launcher.
Lol imagine being EA and making a new platform for your games that's objectively worse than your previous, also bad, platform. At least origin had an option to automatically move any game you wanted instead of relying on the user to do it manually and using regedit.