Unable to remove linked EA account

by menarche

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Unable to remove linked EA account

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

The EA chat people were unable to help me, so I am seeking help here.

The situation:

My Xbox game pass account, the only one, that I have had since 2010-2011ish is under my control.

My EA account that I have had since well before the monthly pay to play services is under my control.

A second EA account, that I do not have access to, which I believe is an ex-roommate is linked to my Xbox game pass account.

Microsoft cannot remove the link for some reason.

EA chat people want me to validate that the second account is mine... it is not and I cannot reach the ex-roommate.

I can verify my Xbox/Microsoft account, I can verify my EA account, but I am unable to link them.

Anyone have any ideas? I have been working on this issue for 5 hours, worked with 2 Microsoft reps and 2 EA reps. Microsoft points finger at EA, EA just tells me I must know that other account.

Edit: Made a picture to help signify what I think is happening:

ea.png

Also, I have now dedicated 10 hours to this issue. Contacted 3 EA reps, and 3 Microsoft reps. Microsoft points their fingers at EA and says EA can only unlink accounts. EA says, I have to validate/verify the "Not My Account" is mine before the can unlink it. WAIT WHAT? How do I verify something not mine? 

One of the EA reps said it would be easier to just make a new Xbox account.

Edit 2: Adding more information.

Here is the info they want me to verify on an account I do not have access to, or is it mine:

IP address:
Last 4 digits of credit card:
Date of birth:
Billing address:
Phone number:

Two specific game versions on account and purchase dates:

I am starting a running list of complaints:

1. Chat technicians lie. They reference you are able to access a log of the chat after the chat is closed. This is in attempt to get you to close the chat so they don't get dinged maybe. I am not sure, but I was unable to locate any chat log.
  2. I cannot see any of the logs prior tied to my case.
  3. Chat technicians, claim to not have access to all actions taken on a case. Think review previous chat logs.
  4. Answers HQ Community Managers parrot canned phrases to use their Chat script reading support, despite reading the actual posts. Think Copy/Paste a canned response.

Edit 3: I just thought I had a break through. When clicking on EA Play via Xbox app instead of showing the error that another account (not mine) is already linked, it prompted me to log into my EA account!  

Something went wrong....png

Just kidding, heading back to Xbox App and attempting to go into EA Play says.... wrong account linked.

Please assist!

Message 1 of 6 (43,171 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to remove linked EA account

Community Manager

Hey @menarche, if your Gamertag is linked to an account that you do not own then it means that you would either have linked it or someone you gave your account info linked it. This happens quite often and generally is done when playing on a friend's console.

If your Gamertag is linked to an EA account that is not yours then our team will not be able to assist you in unlinking it. For any account action to be taken by our team the account must first be verified and only the account owner can do that.  As you are not the account owner then I'm sorry to say that there is nothing more that our live support can do to assist you.

I'm going to lock this thread as there is nothing more that we can do to assist.

Darko 

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 6 of 6 (43,040 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @menarche, for issues such as this you will need to speak with one of our phone or chat support advisers who will be able to advise you further. 

You can contact our live support at help.ea.com.  

To  speak with a chat or phone adviser:

Click on your product Origin

Then select 'PC

Manage my Account'

Can't log in

Finally, you can choose to begin a chat or request a call back.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 6 (43,091 Views)

★ Guide

@EA_Darko the chat support was unable to assist. They claim that I must validate/authenticate the other account in order to unlink it. This makes no sense. On top of that, each one of them is unable to comprehend how asinine it is to have to validate an account that is not mine.

Do you have a Tier 2 support? A supervisor? A manager? There is obviously a gap in policy/process/technology preventing me from unlinking a bad account and linking mine up in a timely manner.

Chat support recommended I purchase games on my Xbox, which I do not have, so I could validate the other account. When I told them I didn't own an Xbox they told me I should just get a new gamer tag. Again, not a solution. 

Message 3 of 6 (43,084 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey @menarche, if your Gamertag is linked to an Xbox or EA account  which you are unable to verify that you are the account holder then our team will not be able to assist you in gaining access to or making any changes to the account. We are not able to assist with any account related issues on AHQ. 

We take account security very seriously, as such only the account owner can request any action taken on their account. If your Gamertag is linked to an account that is not yours and you cannot prove you own then our team are unable to assist. If you know who owns the account then it may be worth speaking with them. 

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 4 of 6 (43,055 Views)

★ Guide

@EA_Darko What kind of nonsense is that. Someone else is linked to my account, I own my gamer tag account and my EA account. You want me to reach out to the other person in hopes that they will give up their EA Play free access since I am paying for Xbox Game pass on my gamer tag account?

Please stop replying with your copy/paste responses. I get it. You cannot do it here. So then elevate the issue to your supervisor so they can let management know at EA that there is a huge policy/technology gap preventing players from playing.

Message 5 of 6 (43,039 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @menarche, if your Gamertag is linked to an account that you do not own then it means that you would either have linked it or someone you gave your account info linked it. This happens quite often and generally is done when playing on a friend's console.

If your Gamertag is linked to an EA account that is not yours then our team will not be able to assist you in unlinking it. For any account action to be taken by our team the account must first be verified and only the account owner can do that.  As you are not the account owner then I'm sorry to say that there is nothing more that our live support can do to assist you.

I'm going to lock this thread as there is nothing more that we can do to assist.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 6 of 6 (43,041 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

Troubleshoot issues with EA Play

Get help with The Play List, your discount, DLC, and more.

Check here for answers.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help