why are the download speeds extremely slow on origin?

by snipeshot9111

Original Post

Re: why are the download speeds extremely slow on origin?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

If several people around the world are complaining about the same thing, it surely doesn't point to a "simple issue with your system or network that you can easily troubleshoot and fix"... I'm a network engineer and I can tell you that this has nothing to do with people's computers and internet connections. Just poorly managed congestion at EA, either due to lack of skill or lack of money to even allow for proper management. All these DNS server changes and stuff that some people get lucky with are pure lucky hacks and have nothing to do with the actual problem.

I personally have had this issue on several computers on several continents with 100Mbps or 1000Mbps connections giving a laughable less than 2 MBps for most of the download size. Yes, it might start at a good speed but then it quickly falls to the ground and stays there.

@EA_Darko How about stop playing dumb and acknowledge that there's something wrong with the service EA provides and at least lie that you're working on it. Trying to tell people it's their fault is just completely crazy. You're literally like Mr. Trump at the moment, telling lies that everybody knows are lies but you still keep telling them. Maybe they're not lies, maybe you actually believe that, but in that case you must realize that you're wrong, the evidence clearly supports that.

I'm currently downloading the remaining 200 megabytes of the BFV patch at an estimated remaining time of 40 minutes. But hey, there must be something wrong with my connection. What a joke...

Message 41 of 328 (8,545 Views)

★★ Guide
Do you think it's too late to nominate them for the worst company of the year award (again)?
Message 42 of 328 (8,537 Views)

Community Manager

Hey all, you are welcome to speculate all you wish but the fact that following the steps works for most people who have this issue points to an issue with their system or network. If you are unwilling to do the steps then that is up to you. 

I downloaded the BFV patch today in no time and to test some of the theories in this thread am currently redownloading the full game and have yet to see a dip in my download speed and it is at 73% right now. Should be finished in no time.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 43 of 328 (8,532 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@EA_DarkoI find that highly suspicious.

Either you're lying, or you're doing so at EA's offices where you're not going to be throttled. Multiple people in other threads as well as this one hav reported that it hasn't worked form then where it worked for others, so no "most people" doesn't apply here.

Also the way you worded your reply makes it sound like you got caught and you're now trying to save face.

Over 8 years of troubleshooting. C'mon, you're not fooling us.

On a side not, maybe your servers wouldn't be as congested if you did a file verification like steam or Battle.net for already installed games, like "Oh you pointed your game directory to X Drive instead of C Drive? I'm just going to run a check to see if you already have any of our games here... Oh you do! There we go, verified and ready to play!", instead of making us re-download games every time we have to reinstall Origin! Maybe if you did a check like that, your network wouldn't be as congested. Gee what a concept.

Food for though EA, Food for thought.

PS. Darko, why should we have to try a troubleshooting method that multiple people report as "hit and miss" to fix YOUR ISSUE when other services don't have the issue period. why should we have to see if changes work for ONE service, when all other services run perfectly fine and as intended WITHOUT those changes!?

You're asking us to make changes and make special rules/considerations for one service (and other services that DON'T need it) rather than you changing things to fix the issue. That's like saying"we have to replace the whole engine rather than changing one faulty belt".

Message 44 of 328 (8,522 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @TidalWavesLion you can find it however you want to but if you check my many posts on AHQ you will see that when people report issues that I look into them and try to recreate them.

On my home network, I went ahead and uninstalled BFV and redownloaded it and did not see the issues you report. The reason I did this was because a handful of people were posting about it so I wanted to see if it was an issue with Origin or an issue with peoples system/connection and it would appear to the be the latter

As for why you should do the troubleshooting steps, well if you are having issues and want to fix them we would suggest that you follow the steps. Just because one service works without issue does not mean that all others do. If you do not want to follow the steps then this is up to you, I certainly won't stop you.

As for your side note, if you have game files and are reinstalling Origin then all you have to do is:

• Reinstall Origin where ever you want to
  • Set the Origin Game Library Location to the new location.
  • Under “Game library location” select “Change folder…”
  • Locate the new folder.
  • Start a download for each game you’ve moved.
  • In Origin open up “My Game Library”
  • Find each game you’ve moved.
  • Press “Download”
  • Origin will skip downloading any files that are already there and update any that need to be updated.
  • When Origin is done updating each game it will be ready to play.

That way you won't have to re-download the games again just verify the files and you are good to go.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 45 of 328 (8,500 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm having the exact same issue with downloading the patch. Getting on average 325kb/s, despite 200mb internet. It's taken an hour and a half to install the update SO FAR. Not to mention the fact the stuck at 100% download bug is still around so I had to install it again. This cannot be pinned on my LAP.

Message 46 of 328 (8,467 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@EA_Darko It seems as though I have found a definitive solution to the issue of users being throttled during game downloads, as we were discussing earlier in this thread.  After looking into this issue more over the past few hours via Google and the official Origin Reddit page, I came across instructions of how to put the Origin client into Research & Development mode, referred to as "R&D mode".  A user in the Origin Reddit community claimed that their downloads were throttled in the normal client, but not if the Origin client was put into R&D mode, so I put this to the test on both of my systems and networks.

First, I downloaded the game "RiME" from Origin like normal.  This is a 7.22GB file.  After initiating the download, the client began downloading the game at the full speed of my 200mb/s internet connection.  47% of the way through the download, speeds dropped into the kb/s range and fluctuated from 233kb/s to around 4MB/s.  I let the game complete the download, which took around an hour.

Second, I uninstalled RiME, and put Origin into R&D mode via the instructions found here:  https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Store:Origin#Origin_stops_downloading_after_an_ungiven_threshold  Once again, I downloaded RiME (7.22GB file) and the download completed in 6 minutes 22 seconds while utilizing the full speed of my 200mb/s internet connection.  Average download speed was 18MB/s (eighteen megaBYTES per second)

Last, I uninstalled RiME once more, and reset the Origin client back into the normal mode that most users are met with every time they open the client.  No R&D mode active.  I initiated downloading RiME once more.  As usual, the download started at full speed, getting close to 20MB/s and this time at 44% complete, I once again experienced throttling of the download speeds, back down into the 200kb/s range.

I did these steps on 2 different systems, on separate networks/modems/routers, using different ISP's.  I used Comcast's Xfinity service as well as Verizion Fios.  My Comcast service has a max download rate of 200mb/s and Verizion's is 220mb/s.

Obviously I've set my client to always open in R&D mode from now on.  It seems as though there is a flaw in the normal Origin client that limits download speeds for some users, and that limit is eliminated by setting the client into R&D mode.  I hope this information will assist you in helping users that experience similar issues in the future. 

Message 47 of 328 (8,427 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hey all, I've been laughing to myself reading through these replies. As someone previously posted, I made it 50% through at 60 MB/s then out of nowhere I'm sitting here with a 300 kb/s to 3 MB/s speed. Will not budge either. I also have a 300 MB/s service. It is most definitely not related to my machine or ISP. Tested other services and am receiving full speed.

See for yourself : https://gyazo.com/0efed829f73a418365a5d228d73b34f5 // Here we have a lower end example.

https://gyazo.com/6ba8041e5c666018bb0fff5a4cac50c3 // Here we have the higher end which I hit for literally 15 seconds before dropping all the way back down.

Just sad. ( Download has been going for a good half hour. )

Message 48 of 328 (8,396 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

what a BS...

should have downloaded BF V patch in about 20 min with my connection, yet here I'm about 2h later with this poop called Origin trying to finish downloading.

I don't accept this BS about computer / network issues.

As many already pointed out, everywhere else I also see  full speed yet the Origin slows me down to 500KB Party hat

its just sad that EA denies that problem exists

Message 49 of 328 (8,373 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
UPDATE: here we are 20 minutes later. Isn't this great!

https://gyazo.com/7c5b3a5875adc67e117032d4ee856731

GG EA.
Message 50 of 328 (8,368 Views)