why are the download speeds extremely slow on origin?

by snipeshot9111

Original Post

Re: why are the download speeds extremely slow on origin?

★★ Novice

Same here. These speeds really suck, tried everything. getting around 3-4mb/sec, and on steam I get up to 20mb/sec.

Message 31 of 328 (19,152 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same here. I got 100MB/s yet I am throttled to around 4 .. gotta wait like 3 hours to play BF5. Not a great start and really annoying. Uplay and Steam don't have these issues. 

Message 32 of 328 (19,083 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Apparently it also was a DNS problem for me. Is was using the Quad Nine DNS (https://www.quad9.net/) and switched to the Cloud Flare DNS (https://developers.cloudflare.com/1.1.1.1/) and now I get the same speed as Steam with Origin.
So thank you for pointing this out!

Message 33 of 328 (19,050 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Kenairod, thanks for sharing your fix, hopefully, it will help others.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 34 of 328 (19,028 Views)

★★ Novice

problem isnt on OUR end, had to quit origin 10x time to get 20MB download and after minute troteled down to 1MB or even less so 10minutes download took me 1 hr..stop joking with people

Message 35 of 328 (18,845 Views)

Community Manager

Please try the steps in this thread @Ragnarok-Drakkar. If you are seeing slow download speeds then this would point to a simple issue with your system or network that you can easily troubleshoot and fix as others have done.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 36 of 328 (18,828 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@EA_DarkoYour servers most definitely have a throttling issue.  I actually found this thread because I'm currently being the victim of it while downloading an update for a game.  I have a 200 mb/s connection, and the download went about 40% through at close to full speed, showing 22 MB/s (twenty-two megaBYTES per second) in the Origin client, and confirmed in the Network traffic section of Task Manager via Windows.  Around 40% complete, this download began to throttle and the speeds went down in both the Origin client as well as Task Manager.  It's currently being throttled to no more than 7 MB/s and goes as low as 500 kb/s back and forth every 10 seconds or so.  In my case, this is not a result of a user system issue or incompetent settings.

I've paused this download via the Origin client pause feature to test and confirm that this absolutely is NOT my network configuration, as every other game service, speed test, movie service, download service, and steaming service I use take full advantage of my connection speed.  As a dual ISP user, I've also confirmed this on a separate system, using a different ISP and network setup, and the throttling result persists.  This happens to me every time I use the Origin client for any game file of significant size, but this is my first time posting about it.

Origin most absolutely throttles its users.  As a monthly paying Premier subscriber, I'm not very happy about it taking over an hour and a half to download a 10GB file from Origin, while it would take less than 5 minutes to download from any other free service.

Message 37 of 328 (18,780 Views)

Community Manager

@Beneffit Have you tried the troubleshooting steps as anyone else who has had the issues you describe has had great success in solving it by following the steps.

I assume the update you are referring to is the BFV patch, I downloaded the patch in about 10 minutes, can't be quite sure how long it took but I started it and by the time I had made a cup of tea and a sandwich it had finished downloading. 

Darko

Darko.png
Message 38 of 328 (18,771 Views)

★★★ Guide

@EA_Darko  Yes, I actually did your troubleshooting steps, as listed in your original reply just to see if it actually made any difference.  I did this on both of my systems which use different ISP's and networks. 8700k and 9900k systems both using NVMe drives.  The result was the same.  And yes, I'm currently referring to the BF5 update at the time of posting, which I realize is probably being slammed with traffic at the moment.  Although, I experienced the same behavior while downloading Battlefield 5 recently, as well as Star Wars Battlefront 2, Need for Speed Payback, and Battlefield 1 and it's updates throughout the course of the last several months.  The downloads always have the same behavior of completing almost half-way through at the full speed of my connection, and then are throttled to no more than 7 MB/s, usually less, until the download completes.

I have no issues with any other service when downloading and installing files.  I always receive my full download speed with every service but Origin.

I hope you guys will actually look in to this and correct it, especially for Premium subscribers.

Message 39 of 328 (18,762 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@EA_DarkoI've used Origin and tried downloading games on at least 3 DIFFERENT ISPs, on 5 separate computers with varying network Configurations (and 4 separate Operating systems), on Hardwired and Wifi connections... I even had a networking tech sit next to me and diagnose the problem and he stated that you are throttling the connection on your end. I've tried to troubleshoot this for over 8 years. When you guys have the EA download manager (before Origin came out) this issue didn't exist. I've tried ALL the troubleshooting steps suggested in this thread, other threads, on reddit, via your technical support etc. and NOTHING has worked.

Battle.net, Steam, Epic games... All of them download the 19-21 MB/s advertised by my primary ISP that I use at home. Origin is lucky if it downloads 3-4 MB/s!

If other services are giving us the speeds that our ISPs advertise, then the problem does not rest on us, it Rests on you. either stop throttling our speeds, fix your client or leave the business. Stop lying to your customers and refusing to fix the problem!

Message 40 of 328 (18,747 Views)