what about having a cross-platform application

by valekvl

Original Post

Re: what about having a cross-platform application

★★★ Apprentice

@Straatford87

As I just mentioned @XXXO77O4906, I forgot about this submission as an issue, just now, after 2 years, it is being read and replied to...no such thing as a coincidence. I am glad that this is something to work on. It was an issue in 2015 and is an issue today. Money needs to be stretched further as the currency loses buying power. Paying multiple times for the same title is backwards and is generally not widely viewed as being a good thing. It just so happens that many don't bring it up. I have a little more faith in the future as things are all moving forward into a more "one system for all media". In that same vein (so to speak), is the subscription services offered need to be much less disjointed and streamlined. 

Two years ago, Microsoft did not have the "Play anywhere" capability that it unveiled last year. They mimicked Origin and EA Access in order to bring about their additional subscription service. I pay for both EA Access and the PC Counterpart, I wish it was just one payment a year, and that it would cover both consoles (i.e. XBOX and PC). Ubisoft could conceivably do the same (frankly, they should). We need more bang for the buck, and this is the way forward for technology and gaming. 

I do appreciate you both taking the time to reply back to this issue. It has certainly been a long time coming for a response of any kind...lol...

Message 11 of 21 (931 Views)

EA DICE Team

@valekvl

You're welcome! Glad that I could offer a response. To clarify, the thread itself is dated before my time here (on the forums), but I'm glad that you bumped it so that I could get to it now - this topic is certainly still revelvant Standard smile

As for bang for buck - as a gamer I'm completely with you there. Especially with so many great games coming out these days between different platforms, it's hard to choose, so if there's anything that can be done to make that easier then it's a win for all gamers.

As a side note, to keep you a bit more up to speed on things Origin, we've since started new programs here on the forums to give more of an idea about what we're working on:

• Origin Spotlight - most Origin updates we release these days are spotlighted, meaning that we're always making sure that we keep you up to date on what we've been working on (I've linked to the latest Spotlight update).

• General Discussion forums - to help give you a voice between all the customer service queries on this Technical Issues forum board, we've also added a General Discussion board where you can talk about anything Origin and gaming related with us, and other players.

• Feedback Friday - similar to General Discussion boards, we want to make sure that you feel heard, we're therefore doing dedicated feedback topics on a weekly basis where you can share your thoughts with us. Feedback is then collected and forwarded straight to the Origin team.

Lastly, I do want to clarify that the cross-platform wishes is something we would love to do, but there are no concrete plans to share. Don't want to get your hopes up that this will be on your doorstep tomorrow.. Frown

Do let me know if you've got any further questions or comments.

Cheers,

Message 12 of 21 (3,039 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Thanks... I know this will be a reality in the future. Everything is moving towards that conclusion... I also know that it might not become reality in the near future. I'm still hopeful and see that this is in process but takes time to implement.
Message 13 of 21 (918 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hey I wanna thank you guys for all the info!! Yep we can hope!!!!

Message 14 of 21 (905 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Just 1 last thought, what is going on with cross platform servers, when is that going to happen? Microsoft already has cross-play servers where pc players can play with there friends on xbox one in the same rooms. Is EA even thinking about it?

Message 15 of 21 (894 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@dreamnetworks187

Thinking, yes - but we don't have any information to share for that at the moment.

Message 16 of 21 (860 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I just say THANKS now then, lol

Message 17 of 21 (844 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

now that it is 2019, where is EA on the One Subscription/Cross-platform idea. This thread has been going on for a while...lol

Message 18 of 21 (788 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @valekvl, in relation to your question I'm going to have to repost @Straatford87 response from the last time this was asked

Thinking, yes - but we don't have any information to share for that at the moment.

If that should change we will let everyone know.

Darko
Darko.png
Message 19 of 21 (771 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

So, all these years later (4 years and counting), here is what has transpired from companies regarding cross-platform game streaming subscriptions:

Sony has Playstation Now.

Microsoft has Xbox PlayAnywhere

Both big console companies have games that can be played with others in spite of their different platforms.

Square Enix/Eidos should also look into something similar. It will be the future of gaming, so publishers should pursue it (but that is my opinion).

Ubisoft hasn't mentioned anything about a game streaming service (even though they really should consider that).

EA (instead of simplifying things) has made things a bit more convoluted...What do I mean by that? Here goes:

Instead of one EA subscription, there are now 3.

One for Xbox (EA Access),

and 2 for PC: Origin and Origin Access Premier.

Then we have VR/AR which is starting to become more mainstream, and so there should be more developments from publishers and companies regarding gaming in VR.

A lot has transpired over these past 4 years, but instead of making things simplified, things are a bit more complicated.

I know the nature of the beast, but this is more about looking into the future and seeing trends developing by the larger companies that publishers should take notice and follow suit. 

Just my $0.04 on the issue. 

Message 20 of 21 (756 Views)