Re: "Show Origin after gameplay"

by Tha_Growler

Original Post

"Show Origin after gameplay"

★★ Apprentice

The settings "Show Origin after gameplay" seems to go back to "On" every time after Origin is restarted or a game is closed. Something seems to go to a default state there. Also, on the Home page the first usage message "Show Origin after gameplay" keeps coming back.

Who came up with the Home page anyway, because it mainly puts advertisement in the customers face without any real functionality. People don't buy games that way. Customers already know what you sell. At this moment is a clutter page.

Message 1 of 97 (3,142 Views)

EA DICE Team

@AbsorbUnderwear

Hi,

Could you try clearing the Origin Cache and running Origin as administrator? I would like to know if that keeps the settings as you want them.

If not, then I will forward this as a bug.

Message 2 of 97 (3,103 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Ok, i sat down for it to look into this.

- Cleared all cache in the many locations

- Run Origin as Administrator (although the OS already run on a administrator account)

This did not solve anything. It seems that more settings do not stick at all.

- 'Show Origin after gameplay' (keeps going back to My Home instead of Game Library)

- 'Share system interaction data' (keeps going back to On when turned off)

- 'Saves' (cloud saves option keeps going back to On when turned off. The result is a cloud storage popup wanting to migrate settings and the BF4 match server does not load. Full restart Origin needed, because the launcher is stuck in the browser.)

At this point i decided to fully reinstall Origin with a fresh Thinsetup download.

The problem seems to persist.

Also Origin decided to download every game and DLC instead of verify game files that are already there. The workaround was cancel all downloads and verify game files with the 'Repair' option manually.

New install situation with fresh cache and running as admin:

- 'Show Origin after gameplay' setting does not stick  after an Origin restart

- My Home page keeps going back to new installation state  after an Origin restart

- Share system interaction data keeps going back to ON after an Origin restart when turned OFF

- 'Saves' cloud storage settings keeps going back to ON  after an Origin restart when turned OFF

General feedback:

- A dedicated option button to force an update check in case automatic updating is disabled. I'm on of those people that update everything manually when this is optional.

- When 'Run as administrator' is set a popup appears saying "You are running Origin in compatibility mode" every time origin start. Not really needed. Once is enough.

- A dedicated option to turn off Origin Voice (This might already be the case when using the setting 'Turn off Origin ingame', but there's no reference to Voice mentioned)

- When manually clearing cache i noticed that Origin has allot of different file locations on the installation drive there should be the main program installation, game folder and a single settings/cache location like many other programs have.

Current settings and cache locations apart from the Origin app installation and game + download cahe folders:

- ProgramData/Origin

- Win USER folder: .Origin/

Win USER folder: ..QtWebEngineProcess/

- Appdata/Local: Origin

- Appdata/Roaming: Origin

This program is truly all over the place. There might be a reason for it, but my personal view on this is that it can be a single folder just like any other program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin: Version 10.0.1.31806 - 490558

Installation: Origin is installed on the OS SSD and the games are on a dedicated separate SSD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your time and effort by looking into this and forwarding it to the developers. I will keep an eye on this post for progression.

DEESTEEN

Edit: 

20 September 2016

Origin auto updated to version: 10.0.2.33129 - 491881 (beta not selected)

Currently the settings seem to stay how they were set without running origin as 'administrator' on an administrator account.

Message 3 of 97 (3,092 Views)

★★ Novice

Same issue here, how dare you force a setting I have already opted out of. Not for a moment would I believe that that is a 'bug', it's intentional.

Please fix NOW.

Message 4 of 97 (3,076 Views)

★ Guide

have the same issue.  I have no interest in looking at origin when I leave a server.  

Message 5 of 97 (3,044 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

my version is listed as Version 10.0.2.33129 - 491881 which is different - note turning off and on the Beta option in settings almost appears to kick in a better update - if indeed this isnt the latest version (right now trying to find a version history list to confirm latest and greatest), also see other threads on this (which with all respect to responders has three different approaches).

is Version 10.0.2.33129 - 491881 the latest for beta?

in the old days EA and origin are notorious for needing the windows registry updated to work which often i find only cured with a full reboot.  for now i am seeing that button sticking now... 

Message 6 of 97 (3,040 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I'm just using the regular release version of Origin (non-beta).

Message 7 of 97 (3,024 Views)

★★★ Expert

Version 10.0.2.33129 - 491881 is the current beta version as of the time I'm posting this. Show Origin After Gameplay is remaining OFF in this version as I am running this version and, that setting does stay as I set it - OFF.

You may want to go to Application settings in Origin and opt in to participate in the Beta.

After doing so, exit origin completely then, right click the Origin Icon on your desktop or start menu and choose Run As Administrator. Allow Origin to update then, log in using your email address, not your user name. That should get that setting staying OFF for you.

Message 8 of 97 (3,018 Views)

★★★ Guide

Forcing a run as an administrator, changing the setting to off, setting participate in beta to on, signing out, starting again, didn't work,

Show Origin after gameplay resets back to on.

Message 9 of 97 (2,989 Views)

★★ Guide

I'm on Version 10.0.2.33129 - 491881 and seeing something similar..

for me its keeping the "off" setting but still pops up Origin when opening and/or closing a game ignoring the setting.

Message 10 of 97 (2,983 Views)