Re: need help clearing origin cashe files

by bev6usa

Original Post

Accepted Solution

need help clearing origin cashe files

★ Guide

I was told in A chat session I need to clear origin cache files and was given A link but the session ended and the window closed before I could do anything. Can someone please tell me what to do or send me A link?

Message 1 of 9 (3,430 Views)

Accepted Solution

EA Staff

To clear Origin temp. files, please follow the steps in this article: http://help.ea.com/en/article/clearing-your-origin-temporary-files/

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (3,977 Views)

All Replies

EA Staff

To clear Origin temp. files, please follow the steps in this article: http://help.ea.com/en/article/clearing-your-origin-temporary-files/

Message 2 of 9 (3,978 Views)

★★★ Novice

@EA_Kristi wrote:

This link no linger works. Please post one that does.

Message 3 of 9 (3,380 Views)

★ Guide

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, My computer has been down But is now OK.  I tried the link that you provided, but it doesn't work.  I got A window that said page does not exist. 

Message 4 of 9 (3,354 Views)

Community Manager

Heya everyone,

While the link is not accessible anymore, you can try these steps directly instead:

1. Ensure Origin is fully closed by clicking the Origin Menu and selecting 
  2. Navigate to the Origin subfolder located within C:\ProgramData\
    • Note: This folder is hidden by default, you will need to un-hide it first.
  3. Now delete ALL the subfolders visible within C:\ProgramData\Origin, except for LocalContent

Let us know how you get on afterwards.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 5 of 9 (3,334 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I can't find this subfolder or Origin menu. I've done  A computer search for the origin subfolder, but I can't find anything except some origin files. is there A link you could send me that would take me where I need to go?

Message 6 of 9 (3,320 Views)

Community Manager

@bev6usa Hi,

Which operating system do you have?

If you use Windows 7, you will first need to make sure the folders are not hidden anymore. You can do so by following this guide from Microsoft: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-7

Cheers,

Nils

Message 7 of 9 (3,296 Views)

★ Guide

Yes, I do have windows 7. I did what you said about the folders. I clicked on the show hidden files and folders, but nothing happened. No folders came up or anything. What do I do next?

Message 8 of 9 (3,284 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My whole computer freezes for 30 seconds or so when opening Origin. Clearing the temporary files fixed the issue for me. The instructions given by the EA rep are not detailed enough for everyone, so here's an excessively detailed procedure to clear the cache files in Windows 7:

1. If Origin is running, close it. (right-click the Origin icon in the taskbar and click Exit)

2. Open Windows Explorer.  If hidden files are not shown (the default):

2a. Press the ALT key once to make Explorer's Menu Bar appear. Click Tools, then Folder Options.

2b. Click the View tab. Under "Hidden files and folders", select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives". Click Okay.

3. Navigate to the C: drive and open the ProgramData folder. (meaning, type C:\ProgramData into the address bar at the top of Explorer and press Enter)

4. Open the Origin folder

5. Select all the folders (yellow folder icons), but NOT any of the other files, and NOT the LocalContent folder.  Press Delete and click Yes in the confirmation dialog.  (Hold SHIFT or CTRL to select multiple folders)

If this doesn't work for you, I would recommend uninstalling Origin and rebooting. Then delete the entire C:\ProgramData\Origin folder, and then reinstall Origin.

Message 9 of 9 (3,262 Views)