id contains a prohibited word or character

by Toolman_xLoBx_

Original Post

Accepted Solution

id contains a prohibited word or character

★★★ Novice

I use the name "Toolman_LoBI" because if i try to change it to "Toolman_LoB" i get the message "id contains a prohibited word or character".  I contacted EA support and miraculously got a phone call with a live person!  He informed me that on their screens, they don't see any upper-case letters or characters.  On their software, my name appears as "toolmanlobi".  He tried to simply erase the "i" at the end, but that changed my ID to "toolmanlob".

This is a huge problem; a forum search of ID issues returns about 3000 posts.  Obviously the name filter is in place to prevent profane or offensive names, but I don't see how this can possibly be classfied as either and WHY CAN'T EA SUPPORT CHANGE IT OR EVEN SEE IT AS THE REST OF THE COMMUNITY SEES IT?????

EA PLEASE FIX THIS!!!  Otherwise, customers will continue to migrate to Steam or even *gasp* U-play.  Allow upper-case letters and maybe even a few more common symbols, but AT LEAST FIX YOUR SUPPORT SOFTWARE TO REFLECT WHAT THEIR ACTUAL ID IS!!!!!  Please remove stupid filter rules that don't apply.  I see offensive names every day, but for some reason, I am prohibited from using "LoB" at the end of my ID.

EA PLEASE FIX THIS!

Message 1 of 5 (24,574 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: id contains a prohibited word or character

Community Manager

@Toolman_xLoBx_ Hi there,

We can pass on the feedback in regards to the letter combination you have used but unfortunately we won't be able to report whether this will be changed. Your best bet would be to try to change the combination yourself once more in the future.

As for offensive names you come across, please report them to us via Origin:

1. Open your Friends List
  2. Click the '+Add a Friend' button
  3. Search for the ID of the user you want to report
  4. Click on their name to open the user's Profile
  5. Click 'Report User' and tell us what sort of problem you're having

Thank you,

Nils

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (25,075 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Toolman_xLoBx_ Hi there,

We can pass on the feedback in regards to the letter combination you have used but unfortunately we won't be able to report whether this will be changed. Your best bet would be to try to change the combination yourself once more in the future.

As for offensive names you come across, please report them to us via Origin:

1. Open your Friends List
  2. Click the '+Add a Friend' button
  3. Search for the ID of the user you want to report
  4. Click on their name to open the user's Profile
  5. Click 'Report User' and tell us what sort of problem you're having

Thank you,

Nils

Message 2 of 5 (25,076 Views)

★★ Novice

this fool is useless

Message 3 of 5 (20,788 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Toolman_xLoBx_ im having this problem as well when im trying to put a literal food item (brownie) but it says it is prohibited
Message 4 of 5 (17,979 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Fudge18,

Certain otherwise innocuous words may be blocked if they've been used in connection to inappropriate phrases or usernames in the past.

While we're not able to add or remove blocked words via the forums, we can absolutely pass along the feedback for words like this one that seem pretty innocent. In the meantime you'll just want to use a different name.

I'm locking this thread to prevent further necro-posting as it's quite old, thanks!

Mako.png
Message 5 of 5 (17,972 Views)