cant move unless holding alt key

by HeavensXsins

Original Post

Accepted Solution

cant move unless holding alt key

★★★ Novice

I don't know if it is something I hit, but in a couple origin games I cant move my character with wasd unless I hold down the alt key, its a pain if someone knows a fix for the issue I have I would very grateful oh and key binding doesn't seem to help.

Message 1 of 11 (3,983 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: cant move unless holding alt key

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@HeavensXsins Thanks. 

Can you try restarting your computer with a Clean Boot, and try (temporarily) disabling your security software. 

There may be some 3rd party program that tries to prevent keystrokes from registering, I suspect it's triggering when the game is running. 

In any case even if this has no effect it'll be useful for ruling out a bunch of possibilities. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 8 of 11 (4,004 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@HeavensXsinsHmm, that's odd. Are you playing on a laptop or desktop?

Can you name a game in which the issue manifests?

I know it's not the most elegant of steps, but can you try hammering the alt key 5+ times and check if Sticky Keys are turned on?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 11 (3,974 Views)

★★★ Novice

thanks for answering

im on a desktop

pvz garden warfare

and sims 4 (camera movement)

alt mashing didn't seem to have an effect, worth a shot though

Message 3 of 11 (3,971 Views)

★★★ Novice

also I tried 2 different keyboards same issue

and sticky keys are off

Message 4 of 11 (3,969 Views)

★★★ Novice

one more note holding ctrl seems to work also

Message 5 of 11 (3,965 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks. At least a hardware issue is ruled out. I take it that outside of games the keyboard works fine? Would I also be right to assume other controls mapped to character keys don't work, just like wasd?

Do you play games Windowed? Does swapping between Windowed or fullscreen have any effect?

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 11 (3,959 Views)

★★★ Novice

I appreciate the help

the keyboard works outside of games completely fine and switching between fullscreen/windowed doesn't have an effect

and character  mapped keys you need to hold ctrl/alt, except the the arrow keys work like wasd without having to hold any keys

Message 7 of 11 (3,944 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@HeavensXsins Thanks. 

Can you try restarting your computer with a Clean Boot, and try (temporarily) disabling your security software. 

There may be some 3rd party program that tries to prevent keystrokes from registering, I suspect it's triggering when the game is running. 

In any case even if this has no effect it'll be useful for ruling out a bunch of possibilities. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 8 of 11 (4,005 Views)

★★★ Novice

you are awesome the clean reboot worked thank you so much for your help, you are a fantastic person

Message 9 of 11 (3,923 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@HeavensXsins Splendid, thanks for the update. If the issue returns, try the Clean Boot again, then turn on programs gradually until you find the interfering program. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 10 of 11 (3,918 Views)