Re: can't activate a Steam purchased EA Origin game on Origin

by Noramra

Original Post

Accepted Solution

can't activate a Steam purchased EA Origin game on Origin

★★ Novice

I bought Burnout Paradise remastered on Steam yesterday on JUNE/5/2020 as of writing. and when trying to run the game, I get a popup on origin where it asks me to enter a cd activation key when it should activate without one.

Message 1 of 10 (8,349 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Guide

When you launch the game through Steam a window should pop up to link Steam to Origin, are you using VPN ? cause I read before it prevents that "accounts-linking" window from appearing.

If you do have a VPN shut it down then restart both Origin and Steam, if you don't then I can only suggest "run as administrator" both Origin and Steam.

View in thread

Message 6 of 10 (8,135 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @Noramra

Do you have an EA Account set up? If so, try linking it with your Steam account to see if that helps. 

For more info on how you can link up the accounts check out the EA Help website. Let me know if it's still prompting you for an activation key after that. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 10 (8,242 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Noramra

Did you have any luck linking your EA Account with Steam? Are you still seeing the same message about the activation key? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 3 of 10 (8,180 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

Did not know about linking my steam account to my Origin account. never done that before. Yes I do have an ea origiin account. but when I click on play in steam, when origin opens up it does not give me an option to link it. Just a popup to activate the game itself saying it's an unknown game.

Message 4 of 10 (8,150 Views)

★★ Novice

This is the popup i get when attempting to play the game via steam and then when Origin starts up. Doesn't ask me to link accounts. As far as i know I only have an xbox account linked to this origin account.

Message 5 of 10 (8,147 Views)

★★★★ Guide

When you launch the game through Steam a window should pop up to link Steam to Origin, are you using VPN ? cause I read before it prevents that "accounts-linking" window from appearing.

If you do have a VPN shut it down then restart both Origin and Steam, if you don't then I can only suggest "run as administrator" both Origin and Steam.

Message 6 of 10 (8,136 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah I use NORD... I'll see if that helps switching that off for 5 minutes

Message 7 of 10 (8,087 Views)

★★ Novice

That solved the problem. Thank you. Now testing the game to see if it runs without any other issue.

Message 8 of 10 (8,079 Views)

Community Manager

@N7_A_M_R_Egypt 

Good suggestion, thanks for that!

@Noramra 

Thanks for following up to confirm that you were able to get it up and running! Thumbs up

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 9 of 10 (8,032 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Very late to this conversation but this helped: Origin app settings -> EA origin -> allow unidentified games

Message 10 of 10 (4,042 Views)