Re: access

by Gorgomancellor

Original Post

Accepted Solution

access

★ Novice

I recently got the Origin Access Basic one-month gift subscription (regarding my having Account Verification set up) and my question is a bit on the specific side; I couldn't find anything close enough to meet my response.

I didn't realize the 'free upgrades' to some of my games would be removed from the games I own when my free month's Origin Access Basic expires (I have no plans on obtaining a paid Origin Access Subscription; it's not something I'm interested in), as in the Mass Effect: Andromeda 'Deluxe Edition' and the Mass Effect 3 'N7' Digital Deluxe Edition. I don't have a problem with my Mass Effect: Andromeda 'upgrade' being put back to the vanilla Andromeda in my account, as that's what I already owned. But I own the Mass Effect Trilogy (box copy), which includes a considerable amount of DLC (I believe), along with the three DLCs for the first Titanfall (which were themselves free gifts, but it is now the 'Deluxe Edition' in my account because of the 'free upgrade' of the Season's Pass).

What I'm concerned about is that I'll have all of my DLC taken from my accounts for the games I 'free upgraded' (say, the Season Pass for the first Titanfall, which would've supplied those DLCs if I had not received them as gifts) when they're changed back to the vanilla box versions (per what I've read about Origin Access Basic and what happens to upgrades made while it's active, when Access Basic expires), even if I do legally own what DLC I owned before I made those 'free upgrades'. I would assume that I would still legally own the DLCs I had in my account before Access Basic was applied, and will be retained after it expires.

However, if this is not the case, and I will only have the vanilla box versions of those I 'upgraded' when my Access Basic runs out (and I do not plan on subscribing to a paid Access subscription) and no longer any of the DLCs I already owned, I will be exceptionally upset. I lost Darkspore in my account when EA shut down its servers three weeks after I bought my vanilla box copy and installed it, before even getting to play it. I am not comfortable with spending money on a game and never being able to play it before such removal occurs. I never pushed the issue about this, but if I lose any of the DLC I own in the games I've mentioned once my 'free' Origin Access Basic runs out (which I did not even have the choice to refuse it being added to my account) I will do so regarding my stolen and paid-for DLCs and Darkspore, and I will never do business with your company again, aside from what I still own in Origin (which I have no choice but to use to play them).

I would appreciate it if you would answer this question specifically: will I have _exactly_ what games _and_ their DLC I legally own and had in my Origin Account (specifically, the ones I 'upgraded' for 'free' while Origin Access Basic was active) once my 'free' Access Basic expires? Please post me back with your answer.

Message 1 of 3 (450 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hey @Gorgomancellor if you do not continue to be an OA member then once your membership ends you will lose access to any extra content that you received due to having OA but will not lose any content you already owned.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (425 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @Gorgomancellor if you do not continue to be an OA member then once your membership ends you will lose access to any extra content that you received due to having OA but will not lose any content you already owned.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 3 (426 Views)

★ Novice
@EA_Darko Thanks for getting back to me as prompty as you did. I had hoped this would be the case (that once my complimentary month of OA ended, everything would revert to what it was in my Origin Account and owned DLC), but I was honestly concerned after I considered that the N7 Deluxe Edition, for example, might 'overwrite' the DLC I own as part of the Mass Effect Trilogy and leave me with the basic vanilla box. I felt a bit misled in the 'free upgrades' being mentioned in each of the affected game entries in my Library but of course, they would only operate and stay active as long as Origin Access was active as well.

As long as no permanent changes would happen to my paid games and DLC, with all changes limited to Vault Games I have access to for this coming month and those 'upgrades' I applied, once my Origin Access freebie month expires, I'm satisfied with your answer and the end result.

I would advise you at EA that as a customer who otherwise would never have looked into OA and would have no desire to make use of it, foisting a free month of a service someone has no experience with and without the option to refuse it (I realize you intended it as a gift, but a gift should be meant kindly, and forcing anything on anyone without their understanding its entire function, which I didn't, nor what any so-called 'free upgrades' would entail and actually mean, is not at all a kindness to me) is a very poor business practice and not something I'm comfortable with having had happen to my account. In the future, I would advise you to have any or all users qualifying for something like this complimentary month of Origin Access Basic provided with the option to take it or not, and not simply be applied without their consent to their account. To me it seems like more of a bait-and-switch than anything else. Your having done this would make me even less inclined to subscribe voluntarily to any tier of your Origin Access in the future.

That said, I consider this matter closed, unless the expected reversion and result of Origin Access Basic's expiration in just under a month is not in the end and no less than my Origin Library having exactly my owned games and all DLC I own afterwards...in which case, we'll be having a further talk about this, and its consequences.

Thanks for your response!
Message 3 of 3 (413 Views)