Re: Gamertag Linked to Deleted EA Account

by sushi_noir1

Original Post

★★★ Novice

Similar issue.

Have an Xbox account that has a supposedly deleted EA account (one I never deleted, no confirmation email informing me of deletion, etc).

I got a new Series X the other day, and decided to go for the game pass option. When I try to play any EA game using that game pass, I am told to reset the password for my EA account. Unfortunately, that doesn’t work. 

The irony here is that I still have the email used on the EA account (that is supposedly deleted). However, no amount of password resets done either by me or by calling EA support will actually deliver an email to the address I type in. 

I don’t care much about whatever account exists on the EA side of things, but I do about the Xbox side, as it has 15+ years of history dating back to the original Xbox, before 360 even. I’d be happy to throw away this deleted EA account and start anew, but nobody can figure out how to do that. 

What’s worse is that this is actually breach of contract - I’m paying monthly for a service that explicitly includes EA games. But, due to the aforementioned issue (which could otherwise be described as technical defects in the account system), I can’t use the functionality of many/all of them. 

Any help here would certainly not go unnoticed

Message 161 of 358 (1,612 Views)

★★★ Novice

@asgeo1 wrote:

Sorry but we do not delete any EA account without the consent of the player

This made me laugh a lot. I've seen it so many time from the lazy staff it should be a new office motto. 

The fact of the matter is they * up by "deleting" auto generated ea accounts in the days of xbox OG and 360. Believing these accounts wouldn't last longer than a generation. 

I believe as a company their view is just start a new account. They're not bothered about what games you already own or have access to. As long as you're buying EA games for a second/third time that's fine by them. 

I've lost count how many times I've told them to delete all traces of my xbox tag and it's still not been done. I'm frankly bored of it.

"You need to provide proof of ownership"

GTFO!  I provided that info and it's still not good enough. It cannot be linked again to an EA account BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE IT ON FILE! 

A silver lining to all this BS guys is that near enough all recently released EA games are broken trash, so we're not missing out on anything.

I'm excited, much like the rest of you to receive the next generic "we're looking into this" email/response

Message 162 of 358 (1,528 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@iTAYL0RHad a similar issue that I found a fix for had to create a new playstation account then share the playstation plus account by creating a new user then I could link it to the ea account to play games online. EA do need to unlink deleted accounts though should be so much more easier than this!

Message 163 of 358 (1,410 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I'm on the same boat...

It's frustrating to say the least. The most bad part is that EA is not handling conform EU law and all data must be deleted if an account is deleted.

Nonetheless I do have a big issue now cause I cannot play EA games online because my EA account is been deleted/removed more than a decade ago and somehow still linked to my PSN ID.

Also the old email has been deactivated 14 years ago I even tried to start an alias to get an password reset mail but it doesn't work that way sadly.

I've seen post of people having the issue fixed so I would highly appreciate it if this can be fixed for me too!

One of the ridiculous answers of support is you need to start a new PSN ID and link that to a new EA account....

They do not consider the cost and time invested in PSN account the PSN Account is and will always leading not an EA account

On top of that I haven't deleted the account it must have been something from EA because of the inactivity for an extensive period op time (+10 years)

The solution is so simple imo, just remove all PSN ID linked to a non existing EA account.

That way we can start playing EA games again and invest looks like a win win situation but nooo they simply state we cannot do that because your EA Account has been deleted.

It's ridiculous and super frustrating and for sure needs to be solved!

Message 164 of 358 (1,401 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@Sterke_Tak Sorry to hear you're in the same boat as the rest of us watching this ticket.

The only glimmer of hope seems to be using @PlanarDnB 's method of persistent live chat requests for Right To Be Forgotten/Right To Erasure under GDPR, hoping to be escalated from the awful 1st line support to another team that handled it for @PlanarDnB .

I've not managed this yet, in fact I don't seem to be able to start any new live chat support requests, I don't know if my timing is bad and live chat isn't available when I attempt it or if I've been blacklisted or something?

The last attempt I made was a few days ago via the webform, I explained my request. An agent got back to me over email misunderstanding and offering to "delete" my account if I could supply the EA ID. I replied explaining the situation again (I believe I did this perfectly politely). I never heard back, I just checked now and the support case got "closed as duplicate".

Just tried to start a new live chat and I still can't, so I've sent another request via the web form... I'm not holding out much hope of anything happening.

Message 165 of 358 (1,366 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have the same problem on psn. Ea is clearly not respecting right to be forgotten Laws and hanging on to personal information. If the ea account is “deleted” how is it still linked? Nobody should have to prove ownership to remove an account that has been “deleted”

Message 166 of 358 (1,226 Views)

Re: Xbox account linked to deleted account, no way to unlink

★★★★★ Newbie

How is there nothing you can do? Remove the linked account? De link it or give information on what the account is?
Alteast one of these is doable yet you wont because you hide behind privacy eventhough we are the legal owners of the account. Its EA's side that is failing no one elses, there are solutions but you refuse to adjust.

Do you accept your own answer for this problem? I mean honestly, how is it acceptable that you basicly pull a middlefinger to your customer.

Its just unacceptable that you have no options to solve this. Its not even a problem that you wouldnt think of when desiging an account based system.

So again please pick one of the hand picked solutions I gave you and solve the issue. For all of our sake.

And dont get me wrong I honestly didnt expect more of EA. A company that keeps sinking to lower lows. Please bring it back to the 90s, by taking atleast some leadership on this point.

Message 167 of 358 (1,170 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I had a go at asking @EAHelp on twitter, no help either with a direct "unlink my account" question, might try again on twitter with a GDPR approach, at least the guys seemed to understand which is more than I get from the live support.

twitter-convo.png

"At EA, we strive to provide you with the world's best customer experience..." Sick

Message 168 of 358 (1,140 Views)

★ Apprentice

Has anyone else tried this method (screenshot attached)? Does it work?

Message 169 of 358 (1,118 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I just pulled out my 360 and tried this and just get a message saying “Your account has been disabled”. No luck. 

I’m having the same issue with my gamertag locked to a deleted account. Luckily nothing was purchased on that old account, I just wanted my gamertag freed up. They told me my account is deleted and without the original email access there is literally nothing they can do. 

Like I told the last of the 8 different reps I’ve spoken to on the phone, you’re making it too hard for me to be your customer. Instead of Apex I’ll just go play Fortnite and Warzone. I’ve already wasted too much time on this ridiculous issue. What kind of company makes a system to store user info and locks themselves out of editing that user info. It’s literal insanity. Undergrad programmers know better than that. 

Message 170 of 358 (1,077 Views)