Xbox Gamertag - Someone Elses EA Account

by whcoleman

Original Post

Xbox Gamertag - Someone Elses EA Account

★★ Novice

I have an Xbox gamertag I have had for over 16 years.  Never owned an EA game that linked to an EA account.  I have an 9yr old EA account that I have played with a PC game and a Wii game.  My kids are getting older so I decided to try an EA soccer game on my Xbox.  When I plugged in the game, it told me my gamertag was already associated with a hotmail account.  I have never had a hotmail account and I don't like hotmail so I wouldn't use it for a generic account.  I have no idea who's account it is and I don't like the idea of my gameplay being shared to someone elses account.

I have reached out to support, but they are telling me the hotmail account isn't mine so they can't help me.  I just want my Gamertag freed up so I can link it to my EA account.  Any other suggestions on how to approach the issue besides don't buy any more EA games?

Message 1 of 8 (1,549 Views)

Re: Xbox Gamertag - Someone Elses EA Account

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hi @whcoleman,

Without having access to the email or being able to verify your ownership of the EA account, the support teams hands are tied here so the only thing I can advise you to do is to follow the email trail.

Can you check out the email and see if you remember any of your old friends with one like that? I also know you're positive you've never owned a hotmail and so this bit might sound a little redundant but have you tried to log into that email? More often than not, the email tends to be an old one from back in the day. It's worth trying as if it's definitely not your email, your old login details/password wouldn't work, but if your older login info/password does work then you've access to the email and can pick-up where you left off with the EA Help Support team.

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 2 of 8 (1,493 Views)

★★ Novice

Sad thing is I don’t want that account, I just want my gamertag back so I can link it to my account for any future EA game purchases - or the ability to play with my gamertag and know anything I did in an EA game wouldn’t link to someone else’s EA account.

And yes, I tried a few passwords I have used in the past on that account (I used to be less creative than I am now) and none of them worked.  I tried to use Microsoft’s password recovery for hotmail, but just like with EA, it said my info doesn’t match that account.

I’m told only I or a friend that played on my Xbox could have done this, but I have only had 2-3 other people I know of ever play on my Xbox and none of them have an email account like this.

iI the end the gamertag is mine.  I can prove that without a doubt.  I don’t want any account information linked with the bad EA account.  It’s not mine.  I just want my gamertag free from EA so that I can link it to my good account.

Message 3 of 8 (1,476 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hi @whcoleman,

You're right, a gamertag can only be linked to an EA account by playing an EA game online/logging into an EA game from that gamertag. We have this EA Help article, if you'd like to read more on that: "Linking your console accounts to your EA accounts.".

I know it's not what you were hoping to hear but before the support team can make any changes to the EA account linked with a console, you'd need to be able to verify you own the EA account. At the moment you're running into problems there so it's blocking them from being able to help you out.

The only other thing I can think of that might work for you would be to try logging into Origin with that email - the password for Origin might be different than the email account password or Microsoft's. If you can remember the password and login, you will be able to navigate to you Profile page and update your EA Account information like your email from there. When you're updating your email in Origin, I'd suggest performing these steps to update/reset the security information too:

1. Clear your browser cache: This deletes saved web info that can include old passwords. 
  2. Reset your EA Account password: Choose a strong, unique password that uses a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. 
  3. Reset the password for the email address you use on your EA Account.
  4. Turn on Login Verification as an extra security step: This will send you a code to confirm your identity when a new device tries to log in to your EA account.

We have another EA Help article here that offers some tips on managing your account security and safety that would be good to know when making those changes "How to help manage your account security and safety". 

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 4 of 8 (1,442 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Going through the same thing. you can sign in through xbox on help.ea but I cant change email still

Message 5 of 8 (1,424 Views)

★★ Novice

Everyone keeps telling me that I need to verify that it is my EA account before they can help me, but I know it is NOT my EA account and that is the problem.  It is my Xbox Gamertag.  It has never been anyone else's Xbox Gamertag.  I don't want access to the bad EA account, I just want to free up my Xbox Gamertag.

I did try your suggestion of going to Origin, but that account belongs to someone else as my passwords don't work on it and to reset it sends it to an email address that is not mine.  The same message I get from EA and Microsoft about the bad email account.  Again, I know it's not mine - but only EA can take remove my Gamertag from the bad account so I can use it with my good account since i have no access to the bad EA account.

Message 6 of 8 (1,409 Views)

★ Novice

@EA_Lanna You said that if we can't verify that account that isn't ours, that you can't help us. Well, what about the fact that we are obviously fully capable of verify that the XBOX or PLAYSTATION ACCOUNT that SAID UNKNOWN RANDOM EA ACCOUNT IS SOMEHOW ATTACHED TO is OUR XBOX or PLAYSTATION ACCOUNT? I'm having the EXACT SAME ISSUE as the person you replied to - MY xbox account is linked to an EA account that OBVIOUSLY ISN'T MINE, and I've already reached out to EA Support THREE TIMES and EA has STILL REFUSED TO DO ANYTHING TO EVEN TRY TO HELP ME! The omly thing I get told are things like "if you can't verify the EA account that isn't yours, then we can't help you" and "Then your xbox account must have been compromised earlier and we can't help you with that, as it must be an issue with xbox". My xbox account USED TO BE LINKED to MY EA ACCOUNT, and that can't be unlinked unless somebody went onto MY EA ACCOUNT and unlinked my xbox account from it, so NO. My xbox account clearly couldn't have been the only that was "compromised". And a question I have is...WHY IS IT SO IMPOSSIBLY EASY TO LINK AN XBOX ACCOUNT TO AN EA ACCOUNT?? All that needs to happen is to just be logged into your xbox profile and go to play one of yall's games. Upon trying to play the game that's made by EA...THAT'S IT. YOUR XBOX ACCOUNT IS NOW LINKED TO THE EA ACCOUNT. In my case, and in about at least 15 other people's cases (15 that I only know of) have the EXACT SAME ISSUE I'M HAVING.

Message 7 of 8 (1,096 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it from being necroed.

If you have any issues with your EA Accounts, please reache out to EA Support its not something we can help on the forums. 

/Atic
Message 8 of 8 (1,071 Views)